ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Another Coti ID please

bluemantra

I just got this today and was wondering if anyone could tell me what coticule it is. And maybe its characteristics?:)

Coticule005.jpg

Coticule004.jpg

Coticule003.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Here are some side shots. Would you happen to know what are the properties of this stone? Good all around, finisher, bevel setter?

Coti-Side004.jpg

Coti-Side003.jpg

Coti-Side002.jpg

Coti-Side001.jpg

La Nouvelle Veine?

^ n00b guess.

I'm sure someone will come along and accurately identify your stone soon, bluemantra.

Thanks, I tried to take the best pictures as I could, let me know if any one needs more. By the way the pictures are of the stone dry.

I'm not saying danjared is wrong. It's probably me who is wrong.
It's just that I recall the La Nouvelle Veine having those thin blue lines on the side.
Plus, I like to play guess the layer. ;)

No, I'm confused. I'll have to double-check my La Grise that's at home.

I do like this guessing game too. That's why I play it so much. I think Bart doesn't mind either since he doesn't have to respond as much to these threads. ;)

Jared, if you don't mind my asking, and you know why I am asking ;), have you created any database that stores pictures and data from the vault in any more (than how it is now) easily retrievable, quickly comparable form?

Just wondering ... :confused:

Okay, yeah, I'm pretty certain that it's a La Grise based on mine and No 1 in the vault. I see lines like this one on mine.

vgeorge said:
Jared, if you don't mind my asking, and you know why I am asking ;), have you created any database that stores pictures and data from the vault in any more (than how it is now) easily retrievable, quickly comparable form?

No, I haven't created any such database. I'm still in the stage of trying to understand what characteristics differentiate the stones, wanting to develop in the future text descriptions to help someone with identifying. This is different from the hone gallery that has been mentioned by others in the past. I am hoping that Bart is successful tomorrow in convincing Ardennes to start providing him with cross-sections of the currently available layers, which I think may in some ways be more useful than the previous ideas for a hone gallery (though they are certainly both very helpful towards cataloguing these wonderful stones). Hopefully these cross-sections can be preserved for future generations, too.

danjared said:
Okay, yeah, I'm pretty certain that it's a La Grise based on mine and No 1 in the vault. I see lines like this one on mine.

vgeorge said:

No, I haven't created any such database. I'm still in the stage of trying to understand what characteristics differentiate the stones, wanting to develop in the future text descriptions to help someone with identifying. This is different from the hone gallery that has been mentioned by others in the past. I am hoping that Bart is successful tomorrow in convincing Ardennes to start providing him with cross-sections of the currently available layers, which I think may in some ways be more useful than the previous ideas for a hone gallery (though they are certainly both very helpful towards cataloguing these wonderful stones). Hopefully these cross-sections can be preserved for future generations, too.

I think it resembles the N 01 La Grise in the vault as well as opposed to the N 08 stone the La Nouvelle Veine

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully Bart will come by and give the definitive.

You guys don't need me. :)

I've spoken with Maurice and Rob about a picture of each layer in full Blue-to-Blue cross section. They found it a good idea and said they'd try to come up with something. They also told me there were once boxes sold that contained a small sample of each layer, as a sort of collector's gadget.

Kind regards,
Bart.

PS. yes, it's n°1.

Bart said:
You guys don't need me. :)

I've spoken with Maurice and Rob about a picture of each layer in full Blue-to-Blue cross section. They found it a good idea and said they'd try to come up with something. They also told me there were once boxes sold that contained a small sample of each layer, as a sort of collector's gadget.

Kind regards,
Bart.

PS. yes, it's n°1.

Well, that sounds like a box of Belgian chocolates, although possibly better. Thank you for asking about this. I really look forward to seeing how it pans out.

Two quick questions:

1. Is the dark brown line just above the slate coticule or an adhesive?
2. And lastly is there is enough coticule in my La Grise to last a lifetime of personal use?

Thanks gentlemen:thumbup:

bluemantra said:
Two quick questions:

1. Is the dark brown line just above the slate coticule or an adhesive?
2. And lastly is there is enough coticule in my La Grise to last a lifetime of personal use?

Thanks gentlemen:thumbup:

1. Adhesive.
2. It's thick enough to last a few lifetimes of personal use.

You'll like using that La Grise. I really like the edge off mine, and I also like the honing characteristics. :thumbup:

If you're using it for personal razor honing, it will last several lifetimes, as Jared said. I'm estimating that it's in the range of 1cm thick, so even if you become a razor collector, it should still be more hone than you'll need in your lifetime.

If you start honing knives on it, then perhaps it will wear down quicker. However, I do hone knives on some of my coticules, and I've yet to make much of a dent in them. I do find myself re-honing my knives pretty frequently, though - so they're bound to wear down the stones quicker.

It's certainly doable, but I wouldn't really recommend honing knives on this one since it is probably fairly soft and easy to dig into (given how knives are sharpened, often with pressure).

yohannrjm said:
You'll like using that La Grise. I really like the edge off mine, and I also like the honing characteristics. :thumbup:

If you're using it for personal razor honing, it will last several lifetimes, as Jared said. I'm estimating that it's in the range of 1cm thick, so even if you become a razor collector, it should still be more hone than you'll need in your lifetime.

If you start honing knives on it, then perhaps it will wear down quicker. However, I do hone knives on some of my coticules, and I've yet to make much of a dent in them. I do find myself re-honing my knives pretty frequently, though - so they're bound to wear down the stones quicker.

I do love using it already. It is a slow one from my use and comparison with another #10 bout I own which darkens with slurry in a hurry. The La Grise is buttery smooth! I'm so glad I got this as a first hone.:)

You won't regret it. I agree with Bart in saying that La Grise is an underrated layer. I enjoy touching up razors on my La Grise bout with plain water as I love it's suction feedback and extra smooth edges it gives.

Back