ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

another Identify this

janivar123

Got a package from ardennes today:)
now i want to know what i have here

janivar123-albums-some-work-done-picture8744-dsc012561.jpg

janivar123-albums-some-work-done-picture8745-dsc012571.jpg
janivar123-albums-some-work-done-picture8743-dsc012531.jpg

there all natural combo a number 1 bout and two 125x30

top one is a la patite blanch matching slurry stone , the bottom one could be a la vainette or and i think it could be a la drasante au blue. barts your man i'm sure he will let you no.
gary

Gary is spot on:

Top one is La Petite Blanche. So is the slurry stone.
The bottom one is a La Veinette.

These are very nice stones. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Ill let you know that i asked if La Nouvelle Veine and La Veinette was available
I have had no reply and no info in the package so maybe i got what i asked maybe not

so now i got two stones and probably should first figure out witch one to hide for six months

i have both of these and i would say they both sound and feel very similar .also cut very similar.

like bart said both nice and very sought after hones. lpb is 125x40 i quite like the size.

Ah, beauties… I have a la Veinette, but if i could get a la PEtite Blanche, I wouldn´t hesitate… Maybe, it´s just the grey line:p

I had to think about some kind of "Identifying layer key". I don´t know whether you know it, but there are such things for flowers, trees and mushrooms and so on. It´s like "1.: Are the leafs shaped like (a: move on to 3.), (b: move on to 5. ), (c: move on to 6. )? 3.: Is the color of the blossom like: …" and by answering all the questions, you should find the right tree, flower or whatever… Do you understand, what I mean?

Regards,
Tok

Yes, that´s pretty much what I meant. Maybe, it´s a stupid idea, but I was thinking about it for quite a time now.

wdwrx said:
I believe "Dichotomous Key" is the word you are looking for: http://www.lucidcentral.com/Keys173...ousKeys/tabid/215/language/en-US/Default.aspx

And it's a great idea.... but i'd be hapy with a plain ol' chart:rolleyes:
Dang, Chris. "Dichotomous"? You really are a mad scientist. Down here they are called "Decision Trees" and used throughout the automotive and aircraft maintenance industry for troubleshooting. It is a great idea, but a lot of work in that it is the same logic that would be needed to write code for a program that identified layers. YRP, Denny

That grey line in the La Petite Blanche is a hybrid layer?
Im putting one of the stones in safe storage so i figured i needed an extra slurry stone
Cutting the little bout in two it split and revealed something looking werry much like hybrid

Now i have to stop thinking about how to get the 125x30 stone to split before i do something stupid:-/

janivar123 said:
Im putting one of the stones in safe storage so i figured i needed an extra slurry stone
Cutting the little bout in two it split and revealed something looking werry much like hybrid

Now i have to stop thinking about how to get the 125x30 stone to split before i do something stupid:-/

No, it's not a hybrid layer. Keep your stone in one piece. It can't get much smaller and still be usable for honing straights.

janivar123 said:

I'd love to see a picture of that surface.
I've never seen a La Petite Blanche honed down till the blue line, or split on it, as in your case. I would not split your actual hone for that purpose. A La Petite Blanche is very nice as is. :)

At least you have 2 slurry stones now, or is it 4? :D

Kind regards,
Bart.

I do believe that the coticule layer on my other stone is too thin to survive any attempt at splitting:|
still that thin layer inside does look interesting:love:

janivar123-albums-stone-picture8781-dsc01264.jpg

janivar123-albums-stone-picture8782-dsc01268.jpg

janivar123-albums-stone-picture8780-dsc01267.jpg

janivar123-albums-stone-picture8785-dsc01271.jpg

janivar123-albums-stone-picture8784-dsc01270.jpg

seems like theres a pure Coticule layer again before the BBW

Well as in one combo and one of each i guess (layer on the blue is less then a mm at the thickest)
Its thempting to aquire more la petite blache stones for some possibly destructive testing:thumbdown: :thumbup:

Back