ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Bad day for a good razor

deighaingeal

I have had two of the worst luck razors ever! One is a 5/8 torrey that no matter what I screw up the scales whenever I try to make some for it. So I set it aside for a while.
The other is a 6/8 no name that first looked great until I removed some patina then found deep pitting, then while I was working on that the buffer kept trying to grab it. After a few cuts there I started on scales for the beast. I must say that I have never had issues with a CA finish before, but this time I had nothing but troubles. I finally got the finish under control and I dropped the blade. I was getting ready to pin it up when I fumbled and it cracked right in half. So needless to say I had a bad time with the blade from that beginning, so I decided to reuse the scales elsewhere. I only found one razor to fit the scales it is almost a fit made in heaven, but the razor is less than desireable. This all happened before I was going to spokane for a meet. I had to take something so I did a quick buffing on this razor to see how bad it really was (it was scary bad). I took it anyway to the meet. I decided to hone it while there were people around who could fix my mistakes. I got through the edge pits and hit good metal! Finished out pretty (at the edge at least). I took it home to shave test it when the edge fell apart. That metal wasn't as good as I thought. I think i can still get good metal on it, but I think this razor is going to be set aside for later. I am ready for a project that will boost my confidence a little.
From this experience I have decided that I will stop trying to save the unfortunates in my pile of blades no matter how well they fit the scales. I will also stop trying to rush things. After all I am not doing this for sale I am doing this for myself, and on that not I will stop restoring 5/8 blades as that seems to be all that I have been doing lately.
Just a long story to releive a bad week, please feel free to ignore this.

I think we have all broken a blade at one time or another especially when restoring a blade. I know I have damaged two blades over the last few years. Just got slow it pays off:)

Well I pulled this razor back out. I just love how the scales came out. I recut the bevel on that blade and realized after a while of that, that the blade was just too gone. I will pull the scales and hope to find another blade to fit. I may just give them to someone who could use them.

Back