ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

bay rhum dr harris a/s

stalker said:
which are for you the best bay rhum cologne??

have you ever tried trumper bay rhum?

I have tried their soap, didnt like it much myself

as for Aftershaves, I use three, Gabels: light fragrance, dirt cheap very heavy on the clove smell. Pashana: heavier scent and longer lasting, slightly musky. and Ogallala bay rum, with peppercorn and limes, by far my favourite, longest lasting with a fresh clean smell, and it leaves my face feeling wonderful :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

danjared said:
Emmanuel said:
I used this one :
6279673285_456fa4c3b4.jpg

But i think that you can use any clear rum ,never clored.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Product of Paraguay!

This is not a product of Paraguay Papagayo means parrot my friend danjaret.
Best regards
Emmanuel

decraew said:
danjared said:
I do not know French, but based on the name, I'm assuming "laurier" refers to laurel, meaning bay laurel. This is the same as the bay leaf commonly used in cooking and is an old world plant. Pimenta racemosa is a tropical plant from the Caribbean, particularly the U.S. Virgin Islands, where bay rum originates. I would be very surprised if it is capable of growing in Belgium let alone thriving there.

Exactly my thoughts. I think, Emmanuel, that what you use & which grows in the wild all through the Mediterranean is Laurus Nobilis. Unless Pimenta Racemosa has been imported to Greece.

I just ordered the samples from St Johns. I'm curious !

Finally i am convinced i used Laurus Nobilis.This is the recipe i took from the old barbers ,but the result is excellent.Maybe they used this plant because the Pimenta Racemosa does not exist in Greece.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Emmanuel said:
danjared said:
Emmanuel said:
I used this one :
6279673285_456fa4c3b4.jpg

But i think that you can use any clear rum ,never clored.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Product of Paraguay!

This is not a product of Paraguay Papagayo means parrot my friend danjaret.
Best regards
Emmanuel

But the bottle says "Product of Paraguay" right under where it says "White Rum".

There is nothing wrong with that. I just did not know that a landlocked country thousands of miles from the Caribbean made rum.

Don't forget that i am 54 now.My presbyopia do not helps me any time.Sorry my friend.
Best regards
Emmanuel

You can get Bay essential oil from most good aromatherapy shops, it's quite common and is from Pimenta Racemosa which is a plant that cannot tolerate any freezing temperature and therefore is unlikely to be found in most of northern europe. It is a very sweet smelling plant and the oil is similar to a clove/cinnamon smell.

Apparently the history is that sailors making long journeys to the Caribbean got in to the habit of rubbing themselves all over with this bush (Pimenta Racemosa) that was abundant on the islands not only because of the sweet smell, but also because it had strong action against lice and other skin pests that could build up during weeks of sailing. The scent was so popular that a practice of steeping the leaves in rum which was being produced there to form a tonic for the skin & hair that became more complex as the makers added citrus and other spices. It then became exported to barber shops to form the Bay Rum we know today.

Bay laurel is a well know herb for cooking with and is not related.

My favourite is the Ogallala, but knowing the history and the scents involved, I don't think it's a very authentic one! It's witch hazel formula is very kind to the skin (70% rum is not!) - and the scent is lovely. My favourite is the one with Sandalwood added.

Anyway - if you get some oil and some rum then it is pretty easy to make something fairly original smelling if you want to, there are "recipes" out there on the net.

Cheers

Squeezy

In french pimenta racemosa = Bay Saint Thomas, EO of Bay Saint Thomas could be found here for cheap less than 5 euros for 10ml. It contains mostly eugenol so it has a scent of clove.
Emmanuel's recipe could be used with some ml of EO instead of Laurel leaves, were it no good as an AS it might also be used as punch:D

Emmanuel said:
Don't forget that i am 54 now.My presbyopia do not helps me any time.Sorry my friend.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Emmanuel, 54 is still quite young. I know I make the same reading mistakes, and my vision is quite good. No worries.

However, if shipping alcohol internationally weren't so prohibitive, I would send you some good Caribbean rum. I don't know how expensive or available it is over there. (Although, given where I live, a good tequila might be more appropriate.)

squeezyjohn said:
You can get Bay essential oil from most good aromatherapy shops, it's quite common and is from Pimenta Racemosa which is a plant that cannot tolerate any freezing temperature and therefore is unlikely to be found in most of northern europe. It is a very sweet smelling plant and the oil is similar to a clove/cinnamon smell.

Apparently the history is that sailors making long journeys to the Caribbean got in to the habit of rubbing themselves all over with this bush (Pimenta Racemosa) that was abundant on the islands not only because of the sweet smell, but also because it had strong action against lice and other skin pests that could build up during weeks of sailing. The scent was so popular that a practice of steeping the leaves in rum which was being produced there to form a tonic for the skin & hair that became more complex as the makers added citrus and other spices. It then became exported to barber shops to form the Bay Rum we know today.

My favourite is the Ogallala, but knowing the history and the scents involved, I don't think it's a very authentic one! It's witch hazel formula is very kind to the skin (70% rum is not!) - and the scent is lovely. My favourite is the one with Sandalwood added.

Anyway - if you get some oil and some rum then it is pretty easy to make something fairly original smelling if you want to, there are "recipes" out there on the net.

Cheers

Squeezy

geruchtemoaker said:
well that depends on what you call good rum

:D :D :D

Yes, rum is quite... powerful.

I once tried making some vanilla extract using most of a bottle of Bacardi 151. (A friend bought it for a cake for its flamability and gave most of the bottle to me because she doesn't drink.) That was some powerful vanilla. I had to cut it with regular rum. Even then it was too much. I will have to try it again with something tamer and with vanilla beans from Mexico instead of from Madagascar (so my mom insists, as vanilla is from Mexico). Maybe I can make vanilla bay rum if I manage to source some leaves.

squeezyjohn said:

Cheers

Squeezy

Another eaten reply. Anyway, when I last checked, I think I saw that Ogallala used bay laurel.

Witch hazel is also good. It's another "new" world plant. I use Thayer's.

My wife bought some bay tree essential oil and made some soap with it. It's quite nice, but the scent does not stay long after the suds are gone.

Back