ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BBW - 1st Try

Aquanin

So all this recent talk of BBW experiments I decided to do one for myself. I took my LPB and set a bevel after dulling my Dovo Best test razor. About 3 sets of 25 half strokes and it was cutting arm hair. Then I raised a slurry on the BBW side and did 5 sets of 15 half strokes diluting each time. Then I washed the stone off and rubbed the slurry stone on the BBW 2 times and did one more set of half strokes. Tested the razor and to my surprise the damn thing was popping hairs like no tomorrow. So then I flipped the hone back over and finished on the coti side with water only, about 60 laps. After stopping I have a silent HHT across the entire edge. Shave test tomorrow morning. I think it will pass very well. To be continued....

What you just mentioned is what my usual routine with Belgian stones looks like. Coticule slurry,bbw slurr, coticule finish and it works great everytime (sometimes I add a finisher at the end like escher).
I love my bbw its one of my favorite hones, I mean come on...purple slurry!

Well I see why you like it! It was fast and smooth. I am used to just doing regular Dilucot on a coti. I might have to change this up and add this to my routine is the shave goes well.

On the hand-full of times I've used my BBW, I've been struck by the sensation of smoothness. I get glimmers of the possibilities but I've never really followed through with them.
Now that I feel like I've got a bit of a handle on my one coti, I'm tempted to try experimenting more with the BBW's.

The couple hints I've picked up seemed to involve finishing on the BBW with a very light slurry and not using the coti side at all..... ?...... maybe.
It kinda makes me wonder if the polishing effects of the binder (forgive me, the proper term escapes me at the moment) don't come into play.

Well I see why you like it! It was fast and smooth. I am used to just doing regular Dilucot on a coti. I might have to change this up and add this to my routine is the shave goes well.

Shave test went well. The razor shaves just as well as any Dilucot edge I have done and it was faster this way. I think next test I will start with the La Petite Blanche, then BBW then Les Latneuses hybrid side and see how it turns out.

When I still had my combination stone, I would use the BBW side quite often and it always yielded great results. And yes the purple slurry is very cool too! :thumbup:

Back