ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BBW advice

du212

I have a 200mm x 50mm coticule+slate, and a 130mm x 30mm coticule+BBW. Tomorrow I go to visit a spanish vendor of Ardennes coticule, and I thought that a 200mm x 60mm BBW could be a great addition because I like the natural stones and furthermore the belgian stones. Could you give a piece of advice about the size of the stone? :thumbup:

For me the size of stone you have is fine, unless you have a real need for another Coticule, I would not bother with the larger stone, they hurt your holding hand when honing, and are sometimes a little clumsy for smiling or warped blades, every man is different of course, and you may like the larger ones more?

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Dear Sir That you have is everything that you need.
Whats the reason that you want more.If you are a beaginer with the coticules you need only
experience .
Best regars
Emmanuel

tat2Ralfy said:
For me the size of stone you have is fine, unless you have a real need for another Coticule, I would not bother with the larger stone, they hurt your holding hand when honing, and are sometimes a little clumsy for smiling or warped blades, every man is different of course, and you may like the larger ones more?

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Always Ralfy you are one step front .
Best regards
Emmanuel

tat2Ralfy said:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I have only a year and a half of experience with the coticules, I thought that a bigger stone can be easy to use and I like to improve my experience with the BBW, but your post are very clear: the same stones and more work with them

tat2Ralfy said:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

The BBW is a slow stone, I thought that the bigger size will improve the speed and perfomance. :confused: . I like my littl BBW coti combo because it's my first hone, I wouldn't let it become neglected, I have learn to use the lessons of Bart with it, and I am happy with it.

Well, where i'm sitting, your logic is sound
spock-spock-star-trek-smiley-emoticon-000554-facebook.gif

then again, i have no experience. I just wanted to whip out the spock smilie.

Then again you'll develop Varying Technique or a larger stone may be unwieldy.

I couldn't resist, finally. I visited Pataxori (foot of bird in basque) yesterday, in Irun, 80kms from home. Pataxori is the main vendor of Ardennes Coticule in Spain. Esteban, the owner, is a very kind person and he spends a lot of time explaining me the origins of "Ardennes coticule" company, the diverse uses that the customers give to the stones, he's a coticule fan and pasionate. He uses often its own BBW for polishoing the edges of the knifes that he sold or repaired

P1272330.jpg

Esteban was an artisan in cutlery he keeps his ancient tools for making leather pouches for knifes

P1272331.jpg

And me, me was and absolute victim, alone, without the power of the reasons of Ralfy,....and surrounded by coticules and BBW....I think that I am lucky for coming back home with only a stone :lol:

P1282336.jpg

the DoukDouk razor was a present from Esteban

Wonderful Jose :thumbup:

I am sure with or without me by your side my friend, you would not have got out of there until you made a purchase...lol

For razors the Coticule may be considered Queen, but I assure you the BBW is a princess.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

douk douks are great pocket knives for every day carry. I have worn two to their deaths. I am glad that you got to go and thank you for sharing.

Jose,

what a lovely post. :)

It never ceases to amaze how Coticules have the power to completely bewitch people. Once these stones get under your skin, it never goes away. I can testify about that.

You are going to love that BBW. That I know.:thumbup:

Bart

Bart said:
...It never ceases to amaze how Coticules have the power to completely bewitch people. Once these stones get under your skin, it never goes away. I can testify about that....

I have a feeling, Bart, that you have coticule slurry flowing through your veins.

wdwrx said:
Bart said:
...It never ceases to amaze how Coticules have the power to completely bewitch people. Once these stones get under your skin, it never goes away. I can testify about that....

I have a feeling, Bart, that you have coticule slurry flowing through your veins.

I hope no one accuses him of having an abrasive personality.

danjared said:
wdwrx said:
Bart said:

I hope no one accuses him of having an abrasive personality.
:rolleyes: :D :D :lol:

wdwrx said:
Bart said:

bloodbank.jpg

Bart said:
Jose,

what a lovely post. :)

It never ceases to amaze how Coticules have the power to completely bewitch people. Once these stones get under your skin, it never goes away. I can testify about that.

You are going to love that BBW. That I know.:thumbup:

Bart

I´m pretty sure, tat2ralfy can make you a tattoo with coticule/BBW-slurry based colours:w00t:
I was actually thinking about using BBW-slurry as a pigment for oil colours…

Regards,
Tok

Mmm not totally sure, but the garnet content is going to be an irritant I would imagine?

Although I will try it with the BBW slurry tomorrow (honestly) :w00t:

you know me, ever cautious never impetuous!... oh wait...hahahaha

I do know that cosmetic companies do/did use BBW pigment, so I would imagine it would work well for paint.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Not only a joke

Esteban, the spanish Ardennes coticule partner, told me that the coticule slurry are being studied to use it in cosmetics as a part of the ingredients of a peeling cream

Back