ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BBW+CRO

mrmaroon

Bart, I remember seeing a video of you honing on a BBW coated with green cro paste. How did you get this to work? my edges seem to dull quickly, maybe im doing ot many passes. What amout of water/Cro and how many passes did you do on it?

I used HandAmerican pure CrO in powder form, rated at 0.5 micron.
I made it fairly thin, as you can see in the video. Starting out on an edge that maxed out on the BBW with thin slurry, it took 100 laps or so. Maybe more. The razor popped hanging hairs straight of the hone, before stropping. (also shown in the video.)
I didn't add detergent to the honing water (although I don't think it would hurt).
There's really not much more to add.
I don't think there are any particular pitfalls, unless you were using Dovo's green paste or something.

Kind regards,
Bart.

If it works that great, you need to be pushing it more, for the BBW sake! Ill try it again, I am using the .3 micron paste, I also have some .09 paste too, Ill try that.

Thanks
Mrmaroon

mrmaroon said:
If it works that great, you need to be pushing it more, for the BBW sake!

AH! But the BBW as we know using it is about to change the honing scene. Dr. Ralfson and I have been working on a feasible method to get an excellent shaving edge with just a BBW. (no CrO)
It took some trial and error, but we're finally squeezing top results out of the Blue. And it's not even all that difficult.
I'm setting up a number of blind experiments to confirm to results on more BBW's in more hands than just Ralfson's and mine.

After that, we'll rewrite the book on the BBW.
Bwahahahahahaaa! (evil laugh :lol:))

Bart.

If you want another tester for your new method, I have about 15 or so razors that I can try it on.

Also, I just did 150 green (.3) and 100 laps on red (.09) it is sharper than I can get off my coticule! The edge might even be a little to sharpb:scared:

mrmaroon said:
If you want another tester for your new method, I have about 15 or so razors that I can try it on.

Drop me an e-mail, please.

mrmaroon said:
Also, I just did 150 green (.3) and 100 laps on red (.09) it is sharper than I can get off my coticule! The edge might even be a little to sharpb:scared:
Quite normal. It's perfectly possible to perfect the bevel on a Coticule or BBW and take the paste route after that. A lot of people do it that way.

Best regards,
Bart.

mrmaroon said:

Dayam! Does anyone else find that incredible? If your successfully honing on even just the .3 micron Crox, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to see the edge of the blade using visible light. This is because the lowest wavelenth of visible light is around 0.38microns - Sorry guys - im a physics student!

So if you can get that edge down with the 0.09 thats going to be ridiculously sharp:lol: Is the 0.09 crox or a different substance? I ask this as that seems extremely small to me as the crox from hand american is rated at .5 and that is supposed to be extremely pure.

All the best, James

yeaaah the red colour makes sense now! How do you find the edge from that is it harsh? Also, how does it work - i would assume quite slowly as its a LOT finer than the crox. However.....i could be completely wrong!

Ive only played around with this for an hour - now that I am back from classes, I will hone a variety of different razors using this method. I wonder if this would work better on a coti than a BBW? or would the coti be to abrasive... More testing!

mrmaroon said:
Ive only played around with this for an hour - now that I am back from classes, I will hone a variety of different razors using this method. I wonder if this would work better on a coti than a BBW? or would the coti be to abrasive... More testing!

Sir, why would you need Crox on a Coticule?

Ok guys, I have honed 3 different razors from the ground up.

I started dulling each on a guinness bottle
honed on coti slurry until it passes my TPT
Hit the BBW with slurry, diluting until the razors violin and pass TPT
hone on the coti for 75 laps with water and then 15 ultra light laps under running water.

I have not shaved with these razors yet, that won't happen until tomorrow.

Razor #1 Simmons Keen Kutter #419 5/8 full hollow round point
Method #1 100 laps on green paste (.3u) 25 backstroke laps on green

Razor #2 Henckels 100 twinningworks 6/8 full hollow spike point
Method #2 100 laps on green pasted on and dried, 150 laps with red (.09u) pasted and dried. 25 backstrokes on each.

Razor #3 Gold Dollar 100 7/8 3/4ish hollow round point with a smile
Method #3 standard coti honing with NO CRO or FO balsa stropping (I usually do 20 laps on each)

My methods are done this way so I can have a clear understanding how each pasted BBW relates to a COTI only razor with nothing else. I have 2 microscopes in the mail and a chinese 12k coming tomorrow so hopefully I can get around to finishing razors 2&3. Razor 1 came out looking excellent, a substantial visual and feel increase on finish and TPT.

Will keep updated,
Mrmaroon! (red FO and green CrO makes maroon btw...)

I have been using my bbw to set bevels for several weeks. The edge, it has provided, has been much better than most other methods available to me.

Experiments have been done with boron carbide 1 micron and diamond spray .5 and .25 mic. The feeling was great but the results were not so great.

I can't wait to see your results and suggestions.

Ray

Razors 1 and 2 are done! Unfortunatly I have to study for my midterms :thumbdown: Here are the results so far.

Razor 1 HHT4, very stick TPT, shaves hair off my leg with the spine flat.
Razor 2 DUN DUN DA.... HHT 5!!! I have never got my henckels this sharp! Drying the paste and then honing on it works the best IMO, I went from green to red doing this method. I still have to hone the GD and test shave tomorrow, so far so good!

PS, if you are wondering where I got my pastes, I bought two poor mans strops from SRP. The included pastes were from a pigment factory in NY. I would ask te guy selling them for more details.

happy shaving,
MrMaroon.

rayman said:
I have been using my bbw to set bevels for several weeks. The edge, it has provided, has been much better than most other methods available to me.

Experiments have been done with boron carbide 1 micron and diamond spray .5 and .25 mic. The feeling was great but the results were not so great.

I can't wait to see your results and suggestions.

Ray

Can you expand on this a little more please? Im open for suggestion, and of course the shave test hasn't been completed, but the HHT5 was suprising to say the least. I have never popped a hair on my henckels without a hellacious ring before!

mrmaroon said:
Can you expand on this a little more please? Im open for suggestion, and of course the shave test hasn't been completed, but the HHT5 was suprising to say the least. I have never popped a hair on my henckels without a hellacious ring before!

There is really nothing to expand here. The tests I have done so far have not been extensive enough to produce any definitive results. I always keep going back to the bbw slurry stone. I somehow think that the bbw just becomes a holder for whatever is put on it, but that is for another experiment.

Ray

I tested the razors! Interestingly enough, I chose the henckels for the shave. I began testing all 3, but i immediatly discovered the henckels was superior and used it for the remainder.

towliff said:
... it will be IMPOSSIBLE to see the edge of the blade using visible light. This is because the lowest wavelenth of visible light is around 0.38microns...
So that's how the invisibility cloak used by Harry Potter works! :w00t:
The hair diameter of the Demiguise it's been made of must be apparently below 0.38 microns. ;)

Back