ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BBW layer?

chti_lolo

As some of ours will soon order a new coticule from Ardennes;) I'd like to know if there were specific BBW layers for the honing on BBW hone method
Bart said:
About the BBW side of your hone, you can use it in the same fashion as your Coficule, but it's considerablly slower. If the bevel of a razor isn't too far off, you can get as good results off the blue side as you can get off the yellow side. Depending on the BBW, it can be better to finish on the thinnest possible slurry (one rub with a slurry stone), than on water only. Some experimentation is in order.

or if the BBW side of a La Veinette, La Petite Blanche... will suit. Otherwise it could be interesting to add something to the order:lol: ?

Regards

Laurent

AFAIK there are no dedicated, named layers on the BBW's. However, when we were at Ardennes, Maurice shared a little secret with us. According to his words the BBW's with those small pink spots are the ones you want to look for.

Cheers
BlueDun

To my knowledge, the only specially named BBW is Salmon Rouge, which I believe is sandwiched between two layers of blue schist and thus is not found on the back of any coticule.

Bluedun said:
AFAIK there are no dedicated, named layers on the BBW's. However, when we were at Ardennes, Maurice shared a little secret with us. According to his words the BBW's with those small pink spots are the ones you want to look for.
As I know that Ardennes makes a selection of the quarried coticule and only some are suitable for honing. I was thinking it might be the same for the BBW. So as BBW side of combo coticule is "just" a backing maybe it is not as good as a BBW sold for sharpening. Just an hypothesis:blush: ?

Regards

Laurent

Blue stone that borders on the Coticule layers is always good.
The most accepted theory about Coticule formation is that the layers originate from vulcanic ashes that sank to the bottom of a sea. The Blue stone is the product of a much slower sedimentation of clay minerals deposited by streams that flew into that sea.

It is logical that the ashes have bled into the clay deposits, particularly at the end of each volcanic activity that formed a new future Coticule bed. As far as the separate Blue schist with suitable abrasive properties is concerned, perhaps the vulcan was only mildly active at that time, not enough to cause a nice yellow layer, but enough to mix in the elements for spessartine formation.

Furthermore, there might be more going on than only garnet (spassartine) based abrasion. Many slates are known to be suitable for sharpening (Thuringer hones?), and schist is closely related to slate.

Kind regards,
Bart.

When I bought my BBW from Ardennes I specified that it was gonna be used for razor honing.
I don't know if it made any difference in their selection, but anyway, the stone I got
is a sweet performer!
Works very well as a bridge between low&high grit synthetics & of course in a progression with a coticule.
Dilucot is what I mostly use, but it's nice every now&then to mix things up & the BBW is a lovely stone to work with IMO. Very nice tactile feedback.

I've also found another good way of using it, as a finisher for carving knifes & chisels.
Creates a very nice edge that makes very "clean" cuts in wood :thumbup:

As a side note;
If you're gonna google "BBW" be aware that the results will probably be "NSFW" :D

Back