ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BBW method question

pinklather

I tried the BBW method recently posted for a break from the norm. The only departure from following it to the letter was a few more finishing strokes (20) and more stropping (200/200). I was surprised at how fine the results were - exceptionally keen, somewhat at the expense of smooth. 20 laps on water on the LPB brought back the smoothness.

I also borrowed from the process when trying a La Dressante for the first time - taking 2-3 back strokes at the end of finishing before the last forward stroke. First edge from that stone was wonderful.

The question from the BBW process is about the tape. It works, it's effective. Since it concentrates the stone's affect on a smaller part of the edge - it's faster. In developing the process - was there any work done without tape - giving an idea how many more strokes were required if tape wasn't used? I could try and discover that first hand, but I suspect that someone has already done some work here. If so - pls share your thoughts/experience.

Many Thx, Gents

There has been some experimentation with BBW without tape, and you can get there. Ralfy, I believe, has done a lot of work that. Personally, my only really good results on BBW was with the tape, but I honestly haven't spent a whole lot of time working on that.

Thank You, Paul. 'Hope to hear from the good Doctor on his thoughts also.

'Seems like there's no end to the surprises from these rocks. And they're GOOD surprises.

I have honed and shaved off of a BBW and I found the edge to be keener than anything I have experienced to date. About 15 minutes or so later I developed a slight razor burn compared to usong a Feather blade in an aggressive De razor. When you refer to using tape are you implying that the edge wasn't refined enough and that with tape the burn could have been avoided? I wouldn't say my shave was harsh at all . the razor burn crept on me after a 3 pass shave and I normally do 4.

How in the heck do you have the patience to do 200/200?

I've found that for the bbw there's a hump to cross as far as keenness. i seemed to be maxed out off the hone.

Funny thing is i'm getting better HHT with halfstrokes (5) than i am when i switch to x-strokes on the same slurry concentration (barely any)

If performed correctly the BBW edge is just as nice for me as a Coticule edge, however it does takes some practice, the "uniblue" method finishing on tape and using a back stroke action, is I find easier than the "Dilublue" method where no tape is used

Here is how I perform the Dilublue, start as always with a razor dulled on glass, then I set the bevel using a thicker slurry than I would use on a Coticule, and I perform sets of 50 instead of 30 half strokes, expect this to take a little longer than when using a Coticule, then I thin the slurry to a milky like thickness, and perform 100 regular X strokes, after that I thin the slurry down again to a misty water like one, and perform a further 100 regular X strokes, that's it done, the HHT is usually a nice 3-4 and I find it typically improves less than a Coticule edge does after the 60/60 stripping on cloth/leather

Sounds very simple, only 2 dilutions and 200 X strokes once the bevel is set, and it is simple, however like I said it does take skill and practice to perfect, I would recommend doing it a good few times before you expect a wow moment during the shave, however once you have got it down, you should be rewarded with shaves as close and forgiving as you could wish for, and no resulting I'll effects to your skin.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Life2short-
No association w/ lack of smoothness was intended to be associated w/ tape. I've used tape w/ good results, but with most of my razors it seems to require a more shallow shaving angle. I'd rather keep the breadth of the angle available.

Dnullify -
How to do 200/200. Easy. Back off from 200/300 :)
For whatever bizarre reason, I'm a fan of stropping - especially off the stones. Others more experienced said stropping is underestimated, so I tried more. It worked. The honorable Bart also mentioned cotis responding to stropping more than other stones, so I tried more. The one time I did 200/300, it was shapton 30k sharp & sufficient to give nightmares :) Others say beyond 60 strokes, there's no benefit. I do not dispute that or say it's wrong. It's entirely possible that the added benefit I've gotten has to do w/ oddities or deficiencies of my honing. For now it works, so for now I'll keep doing it.

Dr. Ralphy - THANK YOU!! 'Very much appreciate your kind help!

pinklather said:
Life2short-
No association w/ lack of smoothness was intended to be associated w/ tape. I've used tape w/ good results, but with most of my razors it seems to require a more shallow shaving angle. I'd rather keep the breadth of the angle available.

I agree completely, I have had some very smooth shaves using tape, and also without, the lack of smoothness can often (not always) be attributed to a lack of keenness, and often using tape, as in Unicot/Uniblue one can find that extra keenness and the smoothness that comes with it.

@Pinklather, you are very welcome, I look forward to hearing how you get on

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I did dilu blue on my la vaineete just last night. I actauly hit the hht with ease and the shave was just as nice. the blue side of my lv easily set the bevel after dulling and was apleasure to hone on. in some ways i preferd it. there was no gritiness in the slurry it felt like pure slurry with great feel. I have tryed othe bbw 's and they do feel differant just like yellow side can. There was more bite in the hht . Like ralfy says the blue side can come in handy. if the hht is not getting there on yellow whip some dilutions up on blue side and return the yellow for finishing or just shave of blue. i will be doing some real testing with dilublue.

gary

I have found that I like 20 or so laps on the coticule side with water brings the edge to perfection for me. I have done 7 different razors with the same stone all with different grinds and I have used 4 of the seven so far with only one shave being below the standard of the others but I also tried to influence the edge slightly on that razor with a very small bout and may have dulled the edge in the process.

I have just taken my Dovo best through a full Dilublue, the HHT was a little low toward the heel so I performed 30 half strokes on a misty slurry, and then 30 regular strokes. HHT was a happy 3/4 and a good 4 after stripping, test shave tonight.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

garyhaywood said:
I did dilu blue on my la vaineete just last night. I actauly hit the hht with ease and the shave was just as nice. the blue side of my lv easily set the bevel after dulling and was apleasure to hone on. in some ways i preferd it. there was no gritiness in the slurry it felt like pure slurry with great feel. I have tryed othe bbw 's and they do feel differant just like yellow side can. There was more bite in the hht . Like ralfy says the blue side can come in handy. if the hht is not getting there on yellow whip some dilutions up on blue side and return the yellow for finishing or just shave of blue. i will be doing some real testing with dilublue.

gary

I used the Blue side of my La Veinette for the first time today, I haven't used any other Blue before. You pretty much described my first impressions Gary. Easy to get the bevel ready, easily passed the HHT (surprisingly so), and I really enjoyed the feel of honing with the Blue. I'll shave test the razor soon.

Justin

Today's shave sucked :lol:

I fought (literally) through it, but still have room for improvement. Ah, a challenge :p

My shave was delightful, light and smooth, soft and forgiving, I shaved one half of my face with the Dovo honed on the BBW side of my La Petite Blanche, and the other with a Coticule honed razor, I can honestly say the Dovo gave the better the shave :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Again I am not used to having use a feather touch with coticule edge and razor burn appeared again. I will admit it was my own fault for continuing because I realized at the very start the shave was well past brisk and there were signs of above average keenness I didn't heed.

Back