ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

BBW slurry on coticule?

jeffus

I have not read every thread, so not sure if this has been covered, but has anyone thought of creating a slurry on the coticule using the BBW side of the slurry stone? My nu 8 does not have a BBW side, so just wondering....

regards,
jeff

Blue is for Blue and yellow is for yellow, there no advantage in using blue on yellow, in fact as the BBW is harder than the Coti your more likely to wear your coti if you use the blue slurry stone on it.
you can use the yellow slurry stone on a BBW to speed it up slightly, but as yours is not a combination stone thats of little use to you, I believe Ardennes sends out Combo slurry stones with every stone regardless of whether they are combo hones or not.
Best wishes
Dr Ralfson

I ended up trying the BBW slurry before reading your reply, figured I couldn't really hurt the coti that much.

It built up a nice layer of blue slurry, nary a drop of yellow to be seen. It usually takes me a lot of effort to get a good yellow slurry with the slurry stone - lots and lots of elbow grease actually. But this BBW side laid down heaps of slurry right away. I was able to make it look like my Escher after using a DMT plate.

So what did I do with it, you ask.

Prior to that I had dulled a Fili #14 EPBD, set the bevel with thick yellow, then diluted just a couple times. At that point it was a ++ for shaving arm hair. I've never done a HHT, since this was my first attempt to start from a dull blade and I was just trusting the power of the hone.

I made the BBW slurry rather thick, did around 30+ strokes, then started diluting slowly. A small spray every 30-50 strokes. I don't count, I get lost in my moment of zen. Diluted all the way down to pretty much no blue. Looked at the bevel with a 16 loupe and it was mirror finished. But I didn't see much improvement in the ability to shave arm hair.

Washed the hone and blade, then put soapy water on the coti and started another diluting process, all the way down to fresh water. Then washed again and used plain water for many strokes.

The shave today was rather nice. No rash or burn, no cuts or nicks. I do 2 passes everywhere except the chin, where I do 3 passes. The chin is actually BBS, which is damn rare for me. The rest is good enough. Beginner's luck :thumbup:

Before this I have only played around with the slurry on a random no-name razor, just getting practice doing strokes and building/diluting slurry.

Next time I will just stick with the yellow slurry and dilute all the way down. I got a Kabeso off the bay the other day, will try again with it.

cheers,
jeff

Sounds like you had fun, which is of utmost importance.:)
I don't think everything you did made strict sense (like diluting the soapy water), but I equally don't think you trespassed any rules that could have jeopardized the outcome. You did many laps on the hone in a slow mode (little slurry), which is always good. Your good result confirms it.

:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing,
Bart.

I have a difficult time following rules, and that makes things fun :p

I diluted the soapy water because it didn't like sticking around on its own. The blade would shave it right off the hone, leaving it kinda dry, and I didn't want to keep putting more soap onto an already slippery situation. I liked how the soap originally sucked the blade to the hone.

Is it normally so difficult to get a slurry with the yellow stone? I feel like I am about to break the stone with the pressure I use. If I don't use pressure it just glides over the hone without leaving a trace. The edge of the stone seems to allow me to use less pressure.

I am so very much liking this idea that only 1 stone is needed to hone a straight.

jeff

Tilt the slurry stone just a little bit, while rubbing. Small variation, big difference...:)

Bart.

Good tip thanks guys, Been having a hard time with generating a slurry with number 18 this helped a lot!!:thumbup: :thumbup:

Back