ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Best finishing layer?

Basil

Howdy all,

I've read that the petite blanche layer can be very smooth and a good finisher. But I just wanted to ask what you all think the best layer is?

I like the idea of using one stone start to finish, and the limited experience I've had with my friends lpb has given me phenomenal results.
Would it be best if I ordered a lpb or would a different layer give a better finish?

Thanks for the help!

I can tell you the answer to this and it will be there is no best layer finisher, all thought some may say that some coticules leave a more mellow edge or brisk to engaging, i no a mellow edge when i get one but the other two i can never relate. So i guess i never noticed much differnace. If the razor is honed perfectly sharp every edge will feel smooth if not the edge could be a little less smooth. So i guess its down to the honer.I my self have found some coticules have worked better for me than others, if you spend enought time with the one hone it will become your best freind. Don't make my mistake and buy more than one coticule get one and stick with it. i would recomened a lpb as its fast on slurry , i've removed little dings with mine and finished on it with nice edges that are no differnat to my other coticules.

hope this helps, take a look at superior shave he has a great section on coticules and is very help ful. I no he does have som la vainettes and lpb on there. they are not named . If you post the picture of the one you choose i'm sure bart or some of us can tell you what layer it is . LPB or LV there both combos.
size wise you only need a 150x40 or 175 i have a 200x40 even a nice bout if there is one.

gary

Yes um i mean no

I have one favorite layer someone else has others
Using a stone you know should give you the best result:p

That layer will be best for finishing which you like to use the most, hence you learn to use it at its full potential.

Sounds like a recommendation for finding the right spouse/partner ... :p

[small] [sup]Copyrights to the above belongs to me. :lol: [/sup] [small]

If such a thing existed as a "best finishing" layer, then there would be some kind of consensus about it among experienced users. The absence of such a consensus, proves that there isn't one layer that surpasses all the others.

If you have one straight razor you can shave. There is no need for a second one. But even if that razor is always well-honed, your shaves won't always be the same. I am doing this a couple of years, and although the difference between my worst and best shaves has become much smaller than in the beginning, I still have great, greater and greatest shaves.

If you have one Coticule, you can sharpen your gear. There is no need for a second one. But your results won't always be the same. I am doing this a couple of years, and although the difference between my worst and best edges has become much smaller than in the beginning, I still have great, greater and greatest edges.
;)

Kind regards,
Bart

Same goes from me, choose one for whatever reason, and stick with it, use it, know it, love it, smell it, name it.

And then you will truly know it

I stuck with the same layer for over a year and a half before starting to learn a new one, and it really did pay dividends

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Agree.By all of them you can have the same result. BUT some are more easier than the others.I had for a period (from a friend) a La nouvelle veine ,with this coticule easily you reach a smooth and keen edge. By other coticules you can get the same result but required more effort.
I found the La nouvelle veine is hard and very slow giving slurry difficulty but works decently.
Best regsrds
Emmanuel

I'm afraid I don't understand your post, Emmanuel. I understand it to mean your friend easily got great results with the La Nouvelle Veine, but you found it more difficult. Is that right?

I actually found it more difficult than any other that I've tried. However, I started out on blanches and les latneuses... After the learning curve was completed, the blanches were more difficult for a bit. Having observed all that, the end results are very similar. I settled for la petite Blanche, though :)

Paul.I said that by all coticules you can have a perfect result.Some coticules are easier than other layers. Also i said that i had a La nouvelle veine just to try ( is not mine ,is a hone from a friend)and according my opinion it is a very easy hone that gives easily a smooth and keen edge. Also i explain that is a hard stone ( maybe you understood that is difficult, but i mean it is a hard litteraly <no shoft> giving less slurry. So, finally i found that La Nouvelle Veine is a easy hone that gives keen edges without special effort.Sorry for repeating and repeating ,is just to make my thought understandable.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Emmanuel said:
Paul.I said that by all coticules you can have a perfect result.Some coticules are easier than other layers. Also i said that i had a La nouvelle veine just to try ( is not mine ,is a hone from a friend)and according my opinion it is a very easy hone that gives easily a smooth and keen edge. Also i explain that is a hard stone ( maybe you understood that is difficult, but i mean it is a hard litteraly <no shoft> giving less slurry. So, finally i found that La Nouvelle Veine is a easy hone that gives keen edges without special effort.Sorry for repeating and repeating ,is just to make my thought understandable.
Best regards
Emmanuel

No worries, I just was trying to make sure I understood you... Which I didn't:D

It is clear now Paul ? You now, there is a big different between English language and Greek. We use ten different words for the same notion,contrary in english used the same word for ten different notions.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Yes, we're clear now. Thanks.

And your point about English is perfect. It's one of the reasons that I'm embarrassed that I'm only fluent in English. I'm working on that, though :)

Back