ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Bevel setting with dilucot

So I blunted my razor with a slice to the bottom of a cup and proceeded to use half x-strokes with the coti+slurry.

After 10 sets, the razor is still not passing HHT.

The slurry is turning gray so I know metal is being removed.

Just keep going?

yes mate just keep going untill it cuts arm hair and dilute the slurry with water a little bit of presure too and ease off nearer the end

I think you have a few things mixed up. After the bevel stage, the edge coming of a Coticule with slurry, will not pass the HHT.

Here's an excerpt of this article:

[note]Bevel correction on a Coticule.

A Coticule contains garnets for abrasive medium. When we moist the Coticule's surface and rub it with another piece of Coticule, garnets are released into the water. The resulting abrasive milk, greatly enhances the abrasive action of the honing. For this purpose, most Coticules are sold with a small "slurry stone" to raise the abrasive milk. For bevel correction purposes we cannot do without it.

Raise the slurry to the aforementioned milk-like consistency and commence with the use of half strokes. (refer)

Perform about 30 laps on either side of the razor and probe with the TPT or TNT for progress. If you don't know how to read the those test, you can also check if the razor shows any sign of responsiveness to shaving arm hair. Repeat the 30 laps on either side over and over again, and keep checking for progress. You may have to repeat this 2 to 20 times, depending on the initial condition of the razor. If it takes a long time, watch the width of both bevel sides. If they start showing unequal width, spend extra laps on the narrowest side. Once the edge gives a "sticky" response to the TPT or TNT along its entire length, or if it starts shaving arm hair, you can finalize the bevel correction stage by performing 30 full X-strokes. Do not allow the slurry to become too dense, because this has a negative influence on the sharpness that can be reached off the slurry stage on a Coticule.

The edge is now ready for refinement on the next hone in your progression. If you want to upsurge the keenness off the Coticule, before stepping up, you can perform about 50 additional laps on a thinned "misty" slurry. Results varying between different Coticule specimens, your edge will now be able to provide a mediocre shave. You can either divert to the Unicot or Dilucot method to get more keenness, or you can progress to a fine synthetic hone in the 8000 to 12000 grit range. After that it's still possible to finish the edge on the Coticule, water only this time, to enjoy the gentleness of the renowned Coticule edge.[/note]

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate it.

Success! My first attempt from dull to 'shave ready'.

I was having a lot of frustration during the initial bevel setting stage. Thanks to Bart's advice one little thing made a HUGE difference: "watch the width of both bevel sides. If they start showing unequal width, spend extra laps on the narrowest side."

I noticed that on some parts the bevel was narrow. After spending more time leveling the bevel, only then was the TPT and HHT applicable.

I'll keep posted on how the shave goes tomorrow :thumbup:

Back