ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Bit the bullet

Thanks Torolf, I saw it, PayPal coming you way.

I'm curious, what did you do to treat the strop for your friend?

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to...:sneaky:

No, really, I feel that it was a good try that has a specialized place in all this, but...
I was trying to recreate the "silk finish" strops that have a stiff, plastic feel. I played around with watered down wood glue immersions. It gave the thinner cotton (thinner than vintage) the type of body I was looking for but is very zippy. Now that I have been using a limp cotton for several months, I have abandoned that direction (I think:rolleyes: ).

But this morning I did pull out one and gave it a quick sanding. This could be very nice. But I just ran a razor over it a couple times to see what it felt like, no real testing. I like the cotton so I will probably be getting more of it.

regards,
Torolf

By the way, that bear strop is quite nice

Well... I'll be!:thumbup:
Thank sounds like a very innovative idea. I'm impressed. I can envision how it would be quite aggressive.
I do have a chunk of 10 or 12oz canvas around.... and I know for sure I've got a ton of carpenter's glue around. Roughly how much did you water it down?

wdwrx said:
Thanks, Steve,
Of course, there is the possibility that I am stropping improperly, but I don't believe that is the case here.
Chris - I should have chosen my words more carefully. I meant to indicate that, in general, it is possible to degrade an edge by stropping. I didn't mean to imply that that's what was happening with you. Sorry for any confusion.

Woodash said:
wdwrx said:
Thanks, Steve,
Of course, there is the possibility that I am stropping improperly, but I don't believe that is the case here.
Chris - I should have chosen my words more carefully. I meant to indicate that, in general, it is possible to degrade an edge by stropping. I didn't mean to imply that that's what was happening with you. Sorry for any confusion.

No worries! It was a very valid point. Whether you meant my stropping or a noobs, or stropping in general. At the very least it gave me pause to consider hard wether I thought my technique was an issue..... still could be a factor; I am, after all, still very new to this.
I have wondered if one can over-strop an edge? If anything, I can see a bit of abrasion at the very edge where plastic flow becomes a factor leading to an edge that may become overly refined and possibly weaker. (Just a thought)

I don't quite remember how much I watered it down. I know that I was shooting for a suitable glue to absorbability ratio. Maybe 1:2? Edit: It must have been more than that, maybe as much as 1:5...

On another note, I definitely believe one can over-strop an edge. Not that I have, but I purchased a "shave-ready" razor that I suspect was. My best bet was that there was an extreme amount of stopping done after too much paste. The razor felt good,looked good under magnification (except for a couple perfectly circular chips in the bevel!), fantastic HHT, and after three strokes on my face completely worthless. I had to do extensive bevel re-creation in order for it to retain an edge again (now one of my favorites...). I say that this was due do stropping because of the individual's comments and apparently little use of hones.

Personally, I have stropped the hell out of my test razors (for testing strops, not shaving) in rather carefree ways, later to hone them up for shaving, and have never experienced what happened with that one I purchased. So, I don't really think any sensible use of strops will lead to "over-stropping", but it seems to be possible. (How's that for science?:D )

regards,
Torolf

TM280 said:
Personally, I have stropped the hell out of my test razors (for testing strops, not shaving) in rather carefree ways, later to hone them up for shaving, and have never experienced what happened with that one I purchased. So, I don't really think any sensible use of strops will lead to "over-stropping", but it seems to be possible. (How's that for science?:D )
I would suspect that this over-stropping involved the use of abrasive pastes. If the bevel itself is shaped in the edge trailing fashion (stropping direction as opposed to honing direction), the very edge will consist of bur-like steel, rather than exposed solid steel. It crumbles away to the level of solid steel during the first shave. That is very typical the edge someone gets after shaping the bevel with pastes that were intended for doing a few finishing laps.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back