ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Bragging up new brush

wdwrx

I've never been big on "aquisition" type threads, but I really am feeling compelled to mention something about a gorgeous new brush I've just recieved in the mail.
Gerrit and I worked a little deal on the the side-lines; my TM strop for a custom brush, hand-made, with an artisan knot.
From one craftsman to another, I have to say: this brush is killer! Gerrit did an amazing job with it; the finish and fit is absolutely perfect, it's so well finished it proving to be a little hard to hold onto, it's almost buttery feeling. I was a little taken aback by the range of options Gerrit offered me, so I had to think fast about what it would be that I would consider a perfect brush, so I requested a classic style handle, a bit longer than normal to deal with a variety of mug sizes, small, to suit my stature, and suitable for both soaps and creams, without being a lather hog; frugal, to suite my nature. I ended up with an 18mm knot set to 50 mm loft, and the single best batch of Mitchel's Wool Fat lather I've ever managed to generate.
Please forgive the crappy SOTD photo, (one of my first), but the real star of the show is the brush. Thank you very much, Gerrit, I'm proud to have this brush.:thumbup:
IMG_1556.jpg

I'm glad that you like it. I am pretty sure though, that I got the better end of this deal.
Here's some more photos.
IMG00158-20101114-2038.jpg

IMG00166-20101116-1820.jpg

What a super duper super lovely looking brush

and yes what a fookin HUGE hybrid Denny (Get some therapy hahaha)

Chris does this mean we will be seeing you on my wsw's SOTD thread?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

haha hybrid.. I wish! That there stone is one of them famous Home Depot Lapping stones... I haven't had a chance to use it to hone a razor on yet.
As for SOTD photos... we're coming into full-on winter here now, so there's no light to speak of, and my photo skills aren't all that... I might have to make an effort though....

It's funny how both Gerrit and I each feel like we came out ahead on that deal... I'm thinkin' that a custom hand-made brush isn't much match for a slightly used strop... I'm quite proud of it, i don't think I've ever had a custom made anything in my life... The way my life is going, I figured I'd be lucky to have a pair of orthotic shoes custom made for me when I got old... this beats that all to hell!;)

Shit Chris. send me a blade and I will custom make you a set of scales for it if you like? Then you will have 2 custom made shaving items

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Shit Chris. send me a blade and I will custom make you a set of scales for it if you like? Then you will have 2 custom made shaving items

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
Damn! You tempt me , Sir.

Not because I couldn't, but just for the sentimental value.... so to speak. I'd hate to impose on anyone, though.

A very generous offer, Ralfy.

Oh feel tempted Chris, the offer stands my friend, it will only cost you postage ;) and you will end up with some fine looking scales in say Walnut Wood?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Oh feel tempted Chris, the offer stands my friend, it will only cost you postage ;) and you will end up with some fine looking scales in say Walnut Wood?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)
If you don't take him up on that offer, Chris, I'm going to put your Rifle in a vise EDGE ON. Quit the twit shit and enjoy life a little. Send him some maple syrup. YRP, Denny

DJKELLY said:
If you don't take him up on that offer, Chris, I'm going to put your Rifle in a vise EDGE ON. Quit the twit shit and enjoy life a little. Send him some maple syrup. YRP, Denny

Ditto

bwahahaha..:lol: :lol:
well then hurry the fuck up with that damn razor....

Ralfy, you're on! That damn Denny gave away my secret bribe.... (a little graft goes a long way.... you don't have diabetes do ya? huh?;) ) as soon as that lazy bugger gets off his ass and gets that razor honed up, I'll send it you way, after i get a chance to shave with it...

Sounds good to me, and no worries on the Syrup I have the constitution of a billy goat...lol

Heres looking forward to it Chris, TBH I didnt want anything in return though, but I do have a sweet tooth or 3

And Denny, I get the "YYP" but wtf is "YRP" righteous perhaps? Regal? oh no I got it....its Redneck innit! hahahaha

Regards
Ralfson

tat2Ralfy said:
Sounds good to me, and no worries on the Syrup I have the constitution of a billy goat...lol

Heres looking forward to it Chris, TBH I didnt want anything in return though, but I do have a sweet tooth or 3

And Denny, I get the "YYP" but wtf is "YRP" righteous perhaps? Regal? oh no I got it....its Redneck innit! hahahaha

Regards
Ralfson
Close enough, Limey.

You know, Chris, there was something else in that package. If a couple of blanks were slabbed off and sent to England I'm sure the great doctor would be willing to make you a matching set of scales for that brush and considering what just showed up on my front porch there are ways to get ahold of a matching lather bowl! And if there is enough left over, a soap bowl, brush stand...

ah ha! That's right. I almost forgot about that... and, like a heel, I forgot to say thank you for it, so: "thanks, Gerrit!" There is certainly enough for a couple of razors.
I guess I'll have to fire up the heater and thaw out the "shop" so i can rip a couple of blanks off to send to Ralfy.
But, your not helping my AD's any Gerrit.... soap bowl.. sheesh!

I await the Postman as we speak Chris, oh and yes my workshop is frozen too..lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

wdwrx said:
ah ha! That's right. I almost forgot about that... and, like a heel, I forgot to say thank you for it, so: "thanks, Gerrit!" There is certainly enough for a couple of razors.
I guess I'll have to fire up the heater and thaw out the "shop" so i can rip a couple of blanks off to send to Ralfy.
But, your not helping my AD's any Gerrit.... soap bowl.. sheesh!

No problem.
I just happened to get three pieces of teak at about 1.25" by 8" by 12" I could laminate them with an accent piece of red fiber, walnut, purple heart, bloodwood, birch or even a nice band of turqoise!
I currently have a heater going in my shop. I have that gavel to get done today and a newly acquired friend of mine is trading a couple of brushes for a custom razor (I make the scales), also have four other brushes to get done before Christmas as well as 12 tree ornaments, a large salad bowl, 2 goblets and sometime I will get to the 8 knots I have set aside for myself.

Back