ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

CBL Soap

gvw755

I am not sure what folks over on the other side of the pond watch on TV, however, on this end, Game of Thrones was probably the most popular series on TV for many years, which I am proud to say that I never watched. When CBL Premium Soaps released Iron Throne which was inspired by the program, I just happened to be on a juniper scent craving and bought the soap. Since I know the creator very well, I requested it in a 2 oz container and with the menthol removed (although the two synthetic menthol remained)

The soap in it's original form has real menthol and two synthetic menthols (are you reading this @The King) and has a very complex and balanced scent combining many scents, but mostly juniper and cedar comes forward. I have about six different scents of CBL soaps and all are softer soaps. Some earlier versions were almost close to cream consistency, but not something you squeeze out of a tube.

All his soaps build a thick and rich lather very quickly and tends to be a very thirsty soap and so a little goes a long way. The lather has good cushion to it and will last past three passes of shaving.

I was in contact with the owner this morning and he did give me permission to use a picture from his site to show the Iron Throne label. He also said that he does ship to Europe and will discuss options with you as to which is the best option for mailing. I encourage all to check out his soaps. Unfortunately you can only get them through his web site.

I have a Yardley Lavender clone soap coming to me in the mail soon. I will report on that when I get it.

CBL Iron Throne.jpg

It sounds very attractive to me your description of this soap. daumenh!

Three kinds of menthol what a glory. :sabber1

Problem is usually not so much the purchase price but the shipping costs from America to the Netherlands.

Just calculated the shipping costs to Belgium (I don't get imported from the Netherlands) and then comes to $ 24.50 this is of course a very high storage for a soap to come here.

And that is usually too big an obstacle to buy American soaps that are not available through Maggard -with its low shipping costs-.

And if a manufacturer doesn't want to cooperate with customs friendly shipping either, the chance that he will sell shaving soap on the other side of the pond is equal to nil.

Use a shippingagent like Shipito. When you have a paid plan, you can choose for consolidationservices. Basically, you leave your orders there, until you have four or five, then ask them to put them all in one box. With charges, that means ou pay $35 one time, instead of $24 four or five times. Your paid plan pays back the very first time you do this, after that you save more money when you order more. If that doesn't make Mrs King happy ...

Do you also pay customs fees, Richard?

If you use this system, would it be possible to order something for me?

My latest soap order from CBL came in today. The star of the group was the CBL Grassroots Lavender. The owner (Chris) belongs to an organization that assist local area folks in small business advice and support. As a donation/fundraiser he was going to make a batch of shaving soap where all profits would go to the organization. An anonymous donor put forward some funds to pay for the ingredients and so it became all proceeds would go to the organization. Of course I had to do my part to support such a worthy cause and bought the soap.

CBL Lavender.jpg

As with his previous two soaps I reviewed, this is no different. It loaded quickly and was extremely thirsty and in no time I was working with a rich lather with great cushion. the lavender scent was a very subtle, however a lot of lavender scented soaps are. This one was to clone the famous vintage Yardley English Lavender soap, which I have never used and so for me the scent was exactly as stated. ;)

DSC02886.JPG

As always, this CBL soap did not disappoint.

Nice initiative of this soap maker that is very much appreciated. goodjob!

Only your comment that lots of lavender shaving soaps smell decent is debatable.
As with any scent, there are also very strong variants such as Castle Forbes, Vulfix, Simpson and Meissner.

I received a jar of CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud from @gvw755 and immediately did a shave with it.

To start with, let's discuss the smell, for me the combination of Balsamic and Oud isn't so obvious but it turns out to be a wonderfully woody, pleasant smell that is pleasantly perceptible both in the pot and in the foam.

It is a harder soap than the average American soap but lathering-up is no problem at all. As soon as you let the shaving brush turn its rounds, the lather starts to develop.
Load it up and continue in a shaving bowl where you can add a lot of water drop by drop and soon a very full lather will be your reward.

With new soaps I never use pre-shave to fully assess the effect of the foam and I can't conclude otherwise that the lather is of top quality.
Because of the dense, delicious fat full lather foam you get a sliding layer that allows the blade to glide and also the protection is absolute class. The skin feels wonderfully cared for after the shave and so it turns out that a soap made up of simple but high quality products can also produce an absolute top quality soap.

And this soap maker has a strong point as far as I'm concerned because the large pot contains 70 grams of soap and the price I saw on his website is around $ 9.
With this you get two pots for the same money -this compared to soap makers who put more soap in their pot- and so you can vary more.
And as some may remember, we once did a survey on another forum where it was precisely this weight that emerged as the ideal.

And if you look around on the CBLsoap.com website you will see that there is also a premium version available.

By the way, looking around on the website is not good for my state of mind because I see me there a few nice scent combinations in soaps and I often read the recruiting words Menthol and Cooling Agents. :sabber1

And then also an extensive Sale I get very greedy but yes that buying stop. :Eek

But I want, I want....:schlaumeier1

By the way, looking around on the website is not good for my state of mind because I see me there a few nice scent combinations in soaps and I often read the recruiting words Menthol and Cooling Agents. :sabber1

:explodieren1those last words killed my interest and I stay strong! Did you receive the tracking info yet? Come on we all know that by now you have ordered teufel_lachend

:explodieren1those last words killed my interest and I stay strong! Did you receive the tracking info yet? Come on we all know that by now you have ordered teufel_lachend

Of course not Snuffie is my back Is not soaking iron after all? So I didn't think so. :augenroll1

Wait for my young bling bling friend who has a parcel service from America and then maybe because that will reduce customs and shipping costs. :cowboy1

I received a jar of CBL Tonsorial Balsamic Oud from @gvw755 and immediately did a shave with it.

To start with, let's discuss the smell, for me the combination of Balsamic and Oud isn't so obvious but it turns out to be a wonderfully woody, pleasant smell that is pleasantly perceptible both in the pot and in the foam.

It is a harder soap than the average American soap but lathering-up is no problem at all. As soon as you let the shaving brush turn its rounds, the lather starts to develop.
Load it up and continue in a shaving bowl where you can add a lot of water drop by drop and soon a very full lather will be your reward.

With new soaps I never use pre-shave to fully assess the effect of the foam and I can't conclude otherwise that the lather is of top quality.
Because of the dense, delicious fat full lather foam you get a sliding layer that allows the blade to glide and also the protection is absolute class. The skin feels wonderfully cared for after the shave and so it turns out that a soap made up of simple but high quality products can also produce an absolute top quality soap.

And this soap maker has a strong point as far as I'm concerned because the large pot contains 70 grams of soap and the price I saw on his website is around $ 9.
With this you get two pots for the same money -this compared to soap makers who put more soap in their pot- and so you can vary more.
And as some may remember, we once did a survey on another forum where it was precisely this weight that emerged as the ideal.

And if you look around on the CBLsoap.com website you will see that there is also a premium version available.

And then also an extensive Sale I get very greedy but yes that buying stop. :Eek

But I want, I want....:schlaumeier1

I will not check that website, will I?:z04975

IMG_1738.JPG

After @gvw755 sent me my first CBL-soap, with a very pure almond smell, I immediately appreciated the outstanding shaving qualities of this brand. Easy to lather up, terrific lather-quality, very nice post-shave feel, I was very impressed. As I'm not that much into almond-scents, I passed that one on, however was then gifted with this lavender grassroots.
This soap, too, has outstanding shaving qualities. for me however, the lavender could have been a bit more present. Out of the tub, the scent lingers a bit below the tallowbase (a scent I like very much of itself), and when lathering up it stays a bit muted. A wee bit more and this would have been one perfect shaving soap.

IMG_1739.JPG

Another gift is this Tonsorial-line Roasted Oatmeal Stout. Shavingsoap based on Guinness, who wouldn't get happy?
I'll stop cheering the magical shaving-properties now, these are as terrific as with the other soaps, and can be considered equal for all CBL-soaps.
This soap has an interesting scent that approaches the name of the soap very much: roasted oatmeal is indeed present, I do recognize some Guinness in there as well, however there's a solid chocolaty base that embraces these other scents and gives them a boost. The tallowbase is less present, the smell lasts a few hours on the face, but in a decent way.

IMG_1736.JPG

I actually bought one myself!
Didn't know they had Wagyu in Alabama, but the tallow certainly delivers.
I was really wondering what a combination Lavender/Leather would smell like, but in this soap it is mainly leather: the lavender is very subdued comes up in a whiff when opening the lid, but is good as gone thereafter, at least in my admittedly not too sensitive nose. What remains is Wholly Kaw Cuero Oscuro but not as heavy oppressively lasting. Basically, I now have my favorite scent for use in the evening. Now who would not like that?

By @gvw755 I came into contact with the soaps of CBL and I am still grateful for that. :yes_nicken

In the beginning of this thread he introduces the "Iron Throne". Today, this soap, which had been in the house a bit longer, was allowed to come on for the first time and during the shave it occurred to me that this is the best soap I've used so far from CBL.

A downside of the CBL I have to mention and that's the big difference in odour strength smelling at the pot and lathered up. With some soaps there is unfortunately hardly any smell after lathering.
But with the Iron Throne this is otherwise the very pleasant smell of for example Juniper and Cedar remains beautiful.

The cooling is noticeable and will please a lot of people because it is mediocre so don't be afraid of watery eyes but have a lovely refreshing feeling while shaving. In my opinion equal to the level of a Stirling MITA (not the Glacial version).

The shaving properties of the lather are of very high quality. The Lather offers a good protection against the blade and the gliding ability is top, in addition, the soap gives a very cared for skin feeling.

Together with the Grape &Soda and Fresh Lime which also have a cooling effect and a nice and stronger scent, the Iron Throne is a keeper here.
Without cooling but also with a nice smell, this also applies to the Orânge Dirt and the Grassroots Lavender.

Back