ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Closed thread

Point of clarification:

I hate discussing other fora in other public places, but since I was mentioned I will clearly state that my feelings toward B&B are significantly different than it was at the time I recruited Bart there. Of course being asked "where my loyalties lie" and "perhaps I could choose one or the other" (between B&B & SRP) plays a huge role in me deciding to completely stop participating at B&B. I'm absolutely convinced this post will result in my being unilaterally banned at B&B, and I'm ok with that. That would put me in some pretty elite company in itself.

The fact that I "chose" SRP (how absurd to be asked to do so) speaks for itself.

richmondesi said:
Point of clarification:

I hate discussing other fora in other public places, but since I was mentioned I will clearly state that my feelings toward B&B are significantly different than it was at the time I recruited Bart there. Of course being asked "where my loyalties lie" and "perhaps I could choose one or the other" (between B&B & SRP) plays a huge role in me deciding to completely stop participating at B&B. I'm absolutely convinced this post will result in my being unilaterally banned at B&B, and I'm ok with that. That would put me in some pretty elite company in itself.

The fact that I "chose" SRP (how absurd to be asked to do so) speaks for itself.
Thank you for the clarification, Paul. I don't know what happened, but I will definitely miss to occasionally bump into you on B&B.

Kind regards,
Bart.

What happened is the moderators perceived some passive aggressiveness in some of my posts born from their uncertainty of where my "loyalties" (sic) lie. They deleted several of my posts and decided completely ignoring my PMs asking for clarification as to why was the best way to handle the situation. Combine that with my status as a Mentor at SRP, my friendship with Lynn, and my unwillingness to join in the fun of SRP/SRD bashing, and you have a situation that leads to silly discussions of "loyalties" and ultimatums. Interestingly enough, they expressed hope that I'd stay there, and they thought I was a valuable contributor to the community....

I will miss those encounters with you there, as well. I'm reminded of our first "meeting" on SRP, and it's funny that disagreement has resulted in a bonafide friendship.

Best wishes, my friend

Paul

Oh well. The enemy of my enemy is my friend and the friend of my enemy is my enemy and all that nonsense.

I've always failed to see why people can't learn to disagree more amicably. Certainly about stuff as trivial as shaving a beard.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I consider getting banned from B&B both an honour and a necessity. It's like getting out of puberty, away from, 'look, Ma!, I just bought my 1000th DE and took pwetty pwictures of it, too!!', and back to, 'so this is how it works on a technical level.' Some really interesting forums in here, too.

Oh, and I learnt a new word today, 'Collusion.'

honewar.png

I didn't get banned from B&B...
Could be because I am not a member there. It would be interesting to see how quickly I would get banned after opening my mouth. That is of course assuming I would have the time to open my mouth of course.

Anyway... I would like to leave the topic of the banning behind us.
I will say why, of course.

The message about the supermoderator decision was given in a time when I was 1 of 3 super mods, and for all practical intents and purposes, I was 'the' supermoderator. I don't want to talk about the conversations I had then and who was involved and who did what. If we look at the entire situation from afar: being 'the' supermod at the time, the buck rightfully stopped with me and I handled the fallout. I am well aware that not everything happened the way it should have happened, but in the end there was a reason I could justify for myself, even though the whole situation was a mess.

As for the GD (we're on a roll here :)) different argument, and one I actually agreed with. And I have no commercial interests whatsoever. Many people (staff AND senior members) tried them and reported wildly inconsistent results. I also saw various pics of new GD's and they were outright crappy, with edges protruding from the underside of the scales even. And they were not singular exceptions.

We formally say that zeepk are crap. Ditto for Kriegar. Ditto for all of the others.
Noone ever questioned that 'shit list', or argued that we only maintained a shit list to protect the profits of commercial interests.

When the new wapienicas came along, the reception was very good. I bought 4, and they were fantastic. Almost shaveready out of the box, to my surprise, easy to hone and able to hold a fantastic egde. They sold like hotcakes. So just because they are cheap does not warrant negative attention. Even the RAD guys like Iwan reported that they shaved better than his Livi. And noone balked at that comparison, even though Lynn is the Livi distributor for the US.

Then GDs came along with the aforementioned issues, and certain people started talking up the GDs, especially the people who were selling them (pot, kettle, black?) while many of us (mod team and others) thought they were very inconsistent and should be treated with care. I still don't think that they should be recommended to a newbie -unless- they come from a reseller who fixed all the issues, and verified that the one they were selling was decent and able to hold an edge. Warning people against GD imo was no more underserved than calling zeepk razor junk.

If you look at the GD thread here
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/razors/50411-about-gold-dollar-razors.html
You'll see that we admitted outright that we knew it would cause problems and that many of the staff are also vendor. And I also mentioned the 9$ wapis which I would not have done if the price was the problem, and none of us is selling them.

I can accept that not all of us have the same idea. However, if you think we should have kept our mouth shut about the GDs, do you then also think we should not have prevented a guy from selling zeepk razors in the classifieds?

Back