ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Consistent edge similarity between different razors?

thanks

Is anyone else in a similar boat to myself? By that I mean my edges have gotten very consistent, which is good, but now the differences between my razor edges seem minute as compared to before. By this I mean that my Le Grelot edge feels very similar during shaving to that of my Erik Anton Berg frameback. I see the biggest differences only in grind. My wedges feel differently to my full hollows, but my French wedge shaves very similarly to my old Sheffield wedge. It's almost getting to the point now that I honestly think the differences in my edges are as small as the differences in the finish that different Coticule veins leave. It seems that the biggest differences in razors to me now are price, grind, and aesthetics.

I have been thinking about this since you posted it, and tbh I have to agree, but not totally, for me I too find all the same grinds feel very much alike, but I still have one or two that stand out as giving slighter nicer shaves, I have not looked into it enough to be able to say if it is my honing, or the razors themselves, but I can say that for me, a well honed Coticule edge feels like a well honed Coticule edge, regardless of the razor, of course there are some exceptions, DA and Gold Dollar for example, I can tell they dont quite have the quality of an old Sheffield or Solingen blade, they still shave nice though, just not amazing.

regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I agree with Ralfy a good edge is a good edge concerning the decent razors.For me the wedges and 1/4 ground give smoother shaves just for the hard beard presenting less flexibility.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I do like a wedge or 1/4 ground, they feels so smooth, however I also like big full hollows, for the scraping toast sound when shaving :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Edges feel similar, but remaining differences seem like steels, grinds, smile or not.

I can shave w/ a sheffield, but they just never feel right. 'Tragic - they're beautiful. Sheffield wedge - I've not been able to get feedback from. Soligen/US wedge - they talk back.

Harder steels feel similar. Wacker, Shumate, etc.

Yet some continue to feel special/different. The one Dubl Duck - feels extra hollow & shaves wonderfully. Two Henry Sears & Sons 1865 both are not as hollow as the Duck, but are almost incapable of mediocre shaves.

I'm w/ Emmanuel on the 1/4 grinds. The Williams, 2 wackers, one Friedmann & Lautenjung. Each have a beefier shank - easier for large hands to grip positively. They're heavy razors - assisting with keeping arcing motions at the toe smooth. I'm astounded TI almost discontinued the 1/4 grind, and they were the last producers to make it. If you've not tried a nice 1/4 grind, you need to. If your beard is light - I'm not sure it's as dramatic, but heavy stubble goes to the 1/4 grind to lighten it's burden.

Back