ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Coticule chip/pit

justin

I've always had this ohhh... I don't know... pit/chip in my Coti. Just a tiny little thing, not sure what it was/is. It's almost like it was just a part that didn't form well, or something, but it's never been a problem. Anyways, I was just honing (marker testing fortunately), and I snagged this area somehow and broke a chip off. This piece must have slowly worked it's way free enough to get snagged by the razor, and break off.

Anyone experience this before, or have a similar 'pit' in the surface of their hone?

I'll post pics if anyone cares to see.

Justin

chippy025.jpg

chippy031.jpg

chip1.jpg

You can see part of the piece that broke off on the left there.

I am sure Bart will be around to give better info/advice but here is mine.

Something like that happened to me once while honing on a Coticule… I am not perfect, maybe the blade wasn’t quite flat from an imperfect stroke and the edge hooked in the laminate and took off a small part of the surface… maybe that part of the laminate was always loose as happens with natural stones, and as the other particles holding it in place, slowly wear off during honing (it becomes slurry) it simply popped out when there is nothing left to hold it.

I believe this is normal with layered stones. I would lap that stone to get it flat again, however it would send a chill down my spine watching all those garnets doing down the drain.

BTW I love that surface texture... almost wish my hone looked like that.

i have similar marking like the one on the right and i can feel it when i rub my thumb across it i'm sure my coti 3 is similar to your with bluey markings. It does'nt efect vmy blade lukaly have you tryed laping pass the chip.

Mmmm before going as far as lapping the surface completely, have you considered doing just enough to smooth the edges of the void? maybe using a fine sand paper, that way the edges wont damage a blade and you save a lot of garnet. I would imagine that the part of the blade that passes over the void when honing should still catch enough during the rest of the stroke for it not be an issue
Just a thought, good luck with that Buddy
P.S did the gotta get there yet??

Yes it is a very beautiful stone Smythe. There are several layers of 'awesomeness' in this one including green, yellow, and red.

One of the profile views to give you an idea:
chippy039.jpg

I'm not going to lap it, I just can't. It hasn't been a problem at all until I just knocked it out. I think the stars must have aligned at just the right time, and I caught it with the toe.

I'll just smooth the edges out a bit like Ralfy suggests, and keep an eye on it while honing.

Ralfy said:
P.S did the gotta get there yet??

No. The mail is bound to be slow during this time of the year. I can't imagine all the packages they have to deliver. :scared:

I'm with Ralphy.

It's natural rock. These things happen sometimes. You can his a loose fragment next year, over 20 years, or never at all... In the vast majority of cases, there's nothing to worry about. It doesn't affect the honing. You can use the corner of a slurry stone to smooth out the edges of the dimple.
If it eases your mind, you can always pour some CA glue onto these spots that look suspicious for having poor integrity. Lay the stone to dry for a few days (on the central heating or so), and allow CA to fill up tiny hairline cracks at the affected spot. Wipe with a rag soon after application and use a small piece of 600 grit sandpaper to remove the CA from the surface. You can also inject it into small cracks at the side of the hone. (I don't think yours has any, I'm only including this for future readers).

Best regards,
Bart.

Top Tip on the CA glue, if you have those vacuum tubs for food, that come with a little hand pump thingy, you can stick it in one (if it fits) and this should dry the glue a lot faster and as a bonus you wont smell the carcinogenic fumes either!!!

Thanks guys. I didn't pay it any mind before. I just found it kind of odd that it flaked off like that. I think it's all cool now, but I'll inspect it when I get home and if it looks a little shady I might go with some CA glue.

Ralfy, what you say reminds me of the time when I put a thing of CA glue into the microwave. :lol: It was not a pretty sight, nor smell! That was a loooong time ago.

Justin

justin said:
Thanks guys. I didn't pay it any mind before. I just found it kind of odd that it flaked off like that. I think it's all cool now, but I'll inspect it when I get home and if it looks a little shady I might go with some CA glue.

Ralfy, what you say reminds me of the time when I put a thing of CA glue into the microwave. :lol: It was not a pretty sight, nor smell! That was a loooong time ago.

Justin

Hahahaha 1 new microwave later!....lol

ever try a light bulb in a bowl with a little water? hahaha
Or try drying your clothes after getting caught in the rain?

I remember the very very 1st ones, I tried cooking sausages in one, didnt understand why they came out spoiled after I nuked them straight from the freezer!! Jeez these things are supposed to cook everything right? lol
Then there was Gary Morris, did 20 for murder, when he got out he couldnt figure why he couldnt get a picture on one! hahaha (true)

Back