ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Coticule honing-when touch up can't bring edge anymore

king

I have two razors honed on Coticule. One is honed using unicot method without tape and other was honed by dilucot method by adding one layer of tape at the end of process.
I did many great shaves from both of them and did touch ups when needed on Coticule with water only. But recently I see that Coticule with just water is not capable to bring the edge as it was in beggining.
Now I am interested what to do? Do I need to follow procedure from the begining again or you suggest some other aproach? By "...procedure from the begining..." on the first place I thinak do I need to dull the razors on a glass, set new bevel again and then follow whole procedure (unicot and dilucot) as described by Bart.

Ok, from what you have written,I believe you have Dilucot (no Tape) and Unicot (tape) the wrong way around?

Either way, if touch ups on water did the trick before, and now dont work, it may be time for a "power touch up"

Without tape, do a couple of sets of half strokes on a LIGHT slurry, as light a slurry as 3 rubs of the slurry stone gives,on the one that you honed before and didnt use tape, dilute that slurry every 15 halfstrokes until its just water (maybe 4 dilutions) then rinse everything off, do a set of 30 half strokes on water and 30 X strokes on water, 60/60 strops on cloth and leather, and it should be fine

For the one with tape, again using a light slurry and NO tape, do a couple of sets of half strokes ( this will make the secondary bevel small again, touching up will have caused it to grow very slightly) then add the tape and finish as Unicot, again 60/60 on the strop, and thats it job done.

Please let me know how it works for you?

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Ok, from what you have written, both razors have been honed using Unicot, adding that layer of tape after a Dlucot turns it into a Unicot.

When you touched up, did you use tape? and how dull where the razors? if you didnt use tape, you wont have touch the bevel edge, so your touch up will be useless, if you did use tape, the edges must have been very dull indeed, research shows that an average of 30 laps on water, will refresh a slightly dulling edge nicely,and this touch up can be repeated many many times.

Either way, if touch ups on water did the trick before, and now dont work, it may be time for a "power touch up" without tape, do a couple of sets of half strokes on a LIGHT slurry, as light a slurry as 3 rubs of the slurry stone gives, this will reduce the secondary bevel, then apply tape and finish as Unicot, job done.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Sorry my mistake in the first post.

1st razor was honed by unicot method (at the end added one tape layer)
2nd razor was honed by dilucot method without tape.

Yes, I did touch ups by adding one tape layer, but just on the 1st razor which was honed using tape in the end of process.
First few times razors just start to pulling little bit and after touch up they was OK but before last touch up shaving sensation was very bad (not just pulling little, but much more). I suppose that razors become much more dull than first few times when touch up needed.

....."Either way, if touch ups on water did the trick before, and now dont work, it may be time for a "power touch up" without tape, do a couple of sets of half strokes on a LIGHT slurry, as light a slurry as 3 rubs of the slurry stone gives, this will reduce the secondary bevel, then apply tape and finish as Unicot, job done...."

Thx, I need this what you write above.
Perfectly clear for the razor which was honed first time by tape adding, but what with the razor that was not honed by tape using (same way as you said above but just without using tape or to follow above procedure and add tape no matter that first time I honed it without).

Thx

king said:
I did many great shaves from both of them and did touch ups when needed on Coticule with water only.

I have another question for you sir :How many shaves performed before razors needed coticule touched up.
Best regards
Emmanuel

emmanuel said:
king said:
I did many great shaves from both of them and did touch ups when needed on Coticule with water only.

I have another question for you sir :How many shaves performed before razors needed coticule touched up.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I have very thick beard and did 15-20 laps water only every 10-13 shaves.

No need to add tape to the one without any used when honing, just do as said above, light slurry with halfstrokes, dilute through to water, rinse, and one set halfstrokes, then 30 or so x strokes on water.

And that's quite a few shaves between touch ups, I need 30 laps every week or so when I shave, I do a good few passes everyday though

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
And that's quite a few shaves between touch ups, I need 30 laps every week or so when I shave, I do a good few passes everyday though
Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

So, I will try to do touch up after 7 or max. 10 shaves.

I would be happy to hear if you find the edges last longer if you would be kind enough to let us know?

Many thanks and best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
I would be happy to hear if you find the edges last longer if you would be kind enough to let us know?

Many thanks and best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

:)

Me too, but do not think that I will find way how to hone out edges to last longer. Maybe to do one pass less while shaving :-/
All in all I will do touch ups once a week or every 7 shaves. Hope that way shaving will be more pleasant.

Thx

My opinion ,tape or not tape the procedure stay same .There are some that they dont like to wear the spine .Me, i dont return to the coticule before the razor ask by it self the honing.
Even i have hard beard i believe that i shave at least 60 times before honing ,depends of the razor,but razor accumulate load so when i return i need light slurry.Ralfy is not wrong ,he keeps the edge always fresh and i believe that rarely returns on the thick slurry.
Best regards
Emmanuel

emmanuel said:
Ralfy is not wrong ,he keeps the edge always fresh and i believe that rarely returns on the thick slurry.
Best regards
Emmanuel

That's the point where I want to go. Keeping edge always fresh.

Today I did power touch up on my razors. I follow the above procedure with just little bit variations. Tonigt shaving was fantastic especially if I take in consideration that shaving lather was crap (maybe one of the worsest lathers in past two years). I do not know why...maybe water issues....maybe Omega 11137....maybe... i do not know but lather break down immediately after i put it on the face........
But shaving was perfect just because razor was honed very nice. I doubt if I be able to do shaving at all with razor from yesterday before power touch up.
Thx to all.

tat2Ralfy said:
Either way, if touch ups on water did the trick before, and now dont work, it may be time for a "power touch up"

Without tape, do a couple of sets of half strokes on a LIGHT slurry, as light a slurry as 3 rubs of the slurry stone gives,on the one that you honed before and didnt use tape, dilute that slurry every 15 halfstrokes until its just water (maybe 4 dilutions) then rinse everything off, do a set of 30 half strokes on water and 30 X strokes on water, 60/60 strops on cloth and leather, and it should be fine

For the one with tape, again using a light slurry and NO tape, do a couple of sets of half strokes ( this will make the secondary bevel small again, touching up will have caused it to grow very slightly) then add the tape and finish as Unicot, again 60/60 on the strop, and thats it job done.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)
This is a timely answer - I've been considering this same issue. I tried your recommendations on two razors yesterday. I've only used one of them but it was a very nice shave - smoooooth. So, now I know how to use my coticule for touchups.
...Ray

Sando said:
This is a timely answer - I've been considering this same issue. I tried your recommendations on two razors yesterday. I've only used one of them but it was a very nice shave - smoooooth. So, now I know how to use my coticule for touchups.
...Ray

Wonderful. it works a treat doesn't it.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back