ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Coticule n°50

Bart

Gentlemen,

I've add test results on Coticule n°50. It's a La Verte from the quarry at Ol'Preu.
It looks like n°30 and n°33, but it has a denser surface structure. The surface feels definitely a bit finer to the touch than those 2, more in tune with a La Verte that I once picked up at Tier du Mont, an abandoned mining site a few km to the East of Tier d'Ol Preu, where Ardennes quarries. Maurice told me that the back wall of the quarry collapsed, about a year ago. Part of a 30m high wall, with La Verte and La Grise embedded in it, came down. I can only speculate that 30 and 33 originate form the top, where the stone is a bit less dense, and this n°50 was located further down, where higher pressure formed a more compact rock.
In any case, this n°50 is significantly faster than 30/33. I doubted between "moderate" and "moderately fast".
Slurrydulling effect is average: arm hair shaving keenness can easily be reached, but I wouldn't shave a beard at that point. But the Dilucot procedure delivers good results fairly easily.
It's a natural combination hone. The BBW part is slow, yet renders good keenness. This hone works very well in a progressive approach: Correct bevel on Coticule/slurry - Refine on BBW/slurry - Finish on Coticule with water.

When I was at the quarry, Maurice Celis showed me about five of these La Vertes that are all cut from the same plate. The Coticule slice is on the thin side, about 5mm. They still have more razors ahead of them, than one guy could ever need to sharpen for shaving his beard.
Maurice suggested that I could offer them to the members of Coticule.be at a reduced price. I brought one home for testing and left the others at Ardennes. So these are available for immediate purchase. I don't remember the price he said. I think it was 50EUR. I'll try to confirm it with Maurice as soon as possible.

If you're looking for a good and easy combination Coticule/BBW, don't hesitate to contact Ardennes through their website. Ask for Vault-n°50.

I'll post in this thread when they're all gone.

Kind regards,
Bart.

If I recall correctly they were all 5cmX15cm (2"X6"). But do check with Ardennes.

Best regards,
Bart.

Ok, I don't want to seem too dense, but I also really want that stone.

Do I just contact Ardennes by going to their site and clicking on contact and filling out the form?

Victorious said:
Ok, I don't want to seem too dense, but I also really want that stone.

Do I just contact Ardennes by going to their site and clicking on contact and filling out the form?
Yes, they know about the offer. Fill the form, tell them you are inquiring about Bart's Vault, hone n°50.

Best regards,
Bart.

the hone is reserved for bluntOtrauma.

I believe Ardennes still has some.

Excellent.
Enjoy the process!
Should there be questions, know that a number of gentlemen are here to offer help.

Bart.

Back