ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Coticule Stonecutting

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
Hi Guys, I will probably catch a little grief for doing it, but I just resized a 75mm x 205mm la verte (My First Stone) that must have weighed ten pounds after twenty minutes of honing, into two pieces 30mm and 45mm wide. The difference is amazing in that both new pieces are very easy to control and the narrower one is great for warped blades.

I personally renovated every surface of my kitchen a couple years ago and tiled the counters and backsplash. Consequently I needed and bought a good tile saw with a sliding table. I got a little burned out with all the renovation (the girl moved out) and forgot I had the saw. I was going to get a stone cutter to cut down the coti, but remembered the tile saw stored in a back room. It only took a couple minutes and the diamond blade went through it like butter.

I don't know if it seems like heresy to cut such a large stone down or not, but I liked and knew the quirks of this one, and it is a great finisher, but it was so heavy I wasn't using it much. I know I could have sold it to someone, but like Paul, I think it was said, I don't get rid of much gear.

Bottom line is if anyone else has a stone they wish was narrower or cut in some other way, I will glad to provide that service, for free, of course. It really looks brand new after I chamfered the edges and both new stones will see a lot of use.

IMG_0090.jpg

Regards, Denny
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
I knew you would say that. Later tonight or tomorrow. Just used the 45mm for a dilucot on a NOS Boker and it was the easiest ever. It would cut hair right off the bevel correction/slurry stage with hair that Gary sent me. (Thanks, Gary) Trying to post pictures from photobucket and a new Mac. Not easy for an old guy. I'll keep trying. Probably have go get to a pc. Sincerely, Denny
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member


Did this work?
 

Matt

Well-Known Member
DJKELLY said:
Hi Guys, I will probably catch a little grief for doing it, but I just resized a 75mm x 205mm la verte (...)

I don't know if it seems like heresy to cut such a large stone down or not, but I liked and knew the quirks of this one, and it is a great finisher, but it was so heavy I wasn't using it much.
I think your own experience confirms it was not the wrong decision. Plus, quite recently Bart was also writing that he had sold his first superwide stone to a friend, who also sold it after he'd learned cotis. :)

regards,
Matt
 

decraew

Well-Known Member
I don't see anything wrong with what you did. In fact, I'm considering doing just that with one of the 'natural coticules' I picked up. I tend to use my smaller stones more anyway.
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
I too prefer a less wide stone, I also sold my wide one to buy a narrower one.
Works a lot lot better for me :thumbup:

While I can understand the many reasons people may have for disliking cutting a large and I guess slightly rare stone, I see that its also very important that we are comfortable with our tools, and get the best from them too.

Besides, if you see what Maurice at Ardennes does to a stone!! Bwhahaha


Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)
 

DJKELLY

Well-Known Member
I appreciate the support, gents. I feel like I made an old friend better. I would have missed that stone forever if I had let it go, knowing what an easy dilucot it performs. I guess almost everyone has access to someone with a tile saw, but the offer will always stand. Sincerely, Denny
 

maro

Well-Known Member
DJKELLY said:
It would cut hair right off the bevel correction/slurry stage with hair that Gary sent me.
Gary sent you hair? Our Gary Haywood?? :huh: His hair??? :blink:
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
maro said:
DJKELLY said:
It would cut hair right off the bevel correction/slurry stage with hair that Gary sent me.
Gary sent you hair? Our Gary Haywood?? :huh: His hair??? :blink:

Just a wild guess, but considering he's a barber, I'd wager the hair is that of his clients :p
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
richmondesi said:
maro said:
DJKELLY said:
It would cut hair right off the bevel correction/slurry stage with hair that Gary sent me.
Gary sent you hair? Our Gary Haywood?? :huh: His hair??? :blink:

Just a wild guess, but considering he's a barber, I'd wager the hair is that of his clients :p

That and the fact that he wears his hair very very short...lol

Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
A good decision, and no heresy at all in my opinion. I personally find 40mm the ideal width for sharpening razors.

Thanks for posting and for extending your generous offer to the members of Coticule.be. Nonetheless: with a bit of elbow grease, a regular hacksaw (use a worn blade), and some water, it's not difficult to cut a Coticule by hand.

Kind regards,
Bart.
 

Paul

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
A good decision, and no heresy at all in my opinion. I personally find 40mm the ideal width for sharpening razors.

Thanks for posting and for extending your generous offer to the members of Coticule.be. Nonetheless: with a bit of elbow grease, a regular hacksaw (use a worn blade), and some water, it's not difficult to cut a Coticule by hand.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I was really surprised by how quickly I was able to do this task on my thin BBW stone. Remember, though, guys, long strokes because the whole blade has teeth. I always laugh and shake my head watching guys take tiny short strokes with hacksaws. :lol:
 
Top