ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Dark Line in La Petite Blanche Stones

StraightRazorDave

Hey all,

I just have a quick question: What happens when the layer of a La Petite Blanche stone gets worn down to the dark line that is visible from the side of the stone? I only ask because on my no. 20 replacement, the dark line is only just below the surface at a couple of spots around the edges on the side. I'm not overly concerned, was just curious what it would look like on the surface if it was worn down to that dark layer. Would there just be dark patches on the surface where it was coming through? It wouldn't interfere with honing at all, would it?

Thanks!

Dave

I don't know. But if you live long enough, I hope you'll enlighten us...:D
I think, it won't show up all at once. Probably just patches of Blue. I speculate that it will influence the tactile feedback of the stone to some extent, but I don't expect that it will have a noticeable influence on the edge quality.
If if push really comes to shove, you could always lap past it. But I don't think it'll be necessary.

Best regards,
Bart.

Thanks Bart. :)

I don't imagine I'll ever live long enough to find out either. I also thought it would come in little patches, as that line isn't perfectly straight and parallel to the surface of the stone. But you said patches of blue, so is that typical La Petite Blanche line basically like a thin layer of BBW inclusion in the coticule? It's not really of all that concern to me to be honest, but it's just one of those thoughts you have when you lay in bed before you fall asleep. What, you mean I'm the only one who thinks about coticules before they sleep??? I find that hard to believe...:lol:

Dave

StraightRazorDave said:
Thanks Bart. :)

I don't imagine I'll ever live long enough to find out either. I also thought it would come in little patches, as that line isn't perfectly straight and parallel to the surface of the stone. But you said patches of blue, so is that typical La Petite Blanche line basically like a thin layer of BBW inclusion in the coticule?
You can have black manganese lines included in the Coticule part of the stone, but in case of "La Petite Blanche", i'm pretty sure it's a bit of BBW contamination.

StraightRazorDave said:
It's not really of all that concern to me to be honest, but it's just one of those thoughts you have when you lay in bed before you fall asleep. What, you mean I'm the only one who thinks about coticules before they sleep??? I find that hard to believe...:lol:

Dave
:D In full color, Dave. I often dream I'm half a micron tall, walking on top of an edge. Climbing over grains of unaligned steel, jumping over micro-chips. For some reason, it's often quite windy over there.:D

Bart.

Back