ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

DE, general technique

Matt

Hello!

Since Thursday I've been a happy owner of my grandpa's Gillette DE. I bought the first blade I could find at a store, which was a Bic, and did a first attempt yesterday. Apart from years ago, when some facial hair was starting to emerge on my face and I was secretly using my dad's DE (AFAIR), that was my first meeting with this paraphernalia.

Obviously, shaving with straights exclusively for about two years help a lot with proper(ish) angles, stretching, directions, not to mention facer preparation and lathering. So, after a little uncomfortable - mainly because of the fact that you've got the edge hidden, which takes a while to get used to - first pass, I re-lathered and went on with the final one (I didn't want to fatigue my skin too much). The second pass was much more confident and comfortable, easier going and of course faster than I'd do it with a razor.

Why am I posting that all? I was struck by how easy this shave was, how smooth face I had afterwards and, the most important: how much still is ahead of me when it comes to using a razor properly and fluently. Gary, Ralfy, we need that video! :)

regards,
Matt

Good stuff Matt, from my limited experience with DE's I can say that they are quick and easy, and I believe once mastered they will give a BBS shave without too much fuss, if we travel and I dont want to take a straight or 2, strop etc etc, a DE will do the job nicely, have you tried Wilkinson sword blades? those and Gillette give me the nicest shaves, often second rather than first shave is a bit smoother too.

Just wanted to add to anyone starting with DE's, an obvious but often overlooked point:

Be sure to clean and dry the razor and blade carefully and thoroughly after each shave, that way it will deliver far better shaves for longer, and a DE with its enclosed surfaces can be a breading ground for shaving rash causing bacteria.

I do plan to sort out the video with good Sir Gary, however we have different days off, and other priorities that have so far delayed the project, rest assured however it will be done, I wouldnt stop shaving while you wait though, you might end up looking like one of the singers from ZZ Top! :lol:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
I wouldnt stop shaving while you wait though, you might end up looking like one of the singers from ZZ Top! :lol:

:D:D

tat2Ralfy said:
Be sure to clean and dry the razor and blade carefully and thoroughly after each shave, that way it will deliver far better shaves for longer, and a DE with its enclosed surfaces can be a breading ground for shaving rash causing bacteria.

Funny, that was the very first reason for me for abandoning cartridges - I suspected all the mess that stays behind in those tiny tight places to be a perfect place for those little bastards. However, cleaning a blade alone seems a bit tricky, you do it any other way than just water, soap and your fingers?

As for Wilkinson blades, I've already been told by my drum buddy (who also happens to use a straight BTW, it was a nice thing to meet someone who's also into it) that they are a treat. Although he recommends them as "self-sharpening", :lol: which made me a little cautious about them. :)

regards,
Matt

I'll admit it. I like DE razors. They're a no mess no fuss way of getting a good shave. I get longer lasting and closer shaves from straight razors, but not necessarily in a hotel or at 04:00am. DE blades can be a LULZworthy pastime. I like Israeli Personna and Derby blades, the former in my Merkur Futur, the other in another Merkur I use for travelling. All things considered, there is even more hype about DE razors than straight razors, but then again, one does not need to visit the fanboy forums ;)

Realistically, though, if you want to introduce fans to traditional wetshaving, DEs are the way to go. I was thoroughly grateful for knowing about lather making and skin stretching before I started using a straight razor.

Merkur give cleaning instructions with their razors, but for day to day cleaning; boil a kettle, open the butterfly/top cover until everything is nice an loose, pour the boiling water on the blade/holder to flush out the nooks and crannies, shake off xs. Result a clean, bacteria free(?) razor. Worked for my Dad, works for me (DE when travelling). Hope thsi helps.

I'm a huge fan of DEs, and I even appreciate the ridiculously cheap Bic Sensitive disposable razor. I actually get great shaves from them, but I agree with Robin that they do not seem to last nearly as long as a straight razor shave (which I can't make any sense of logically, though).

I do not like Derby at all, Feathers and Gillette 7 O'Clock razors seem to be the best for me. It's pretty rare for me to use a DE, but that 4am shave that Robin referenced is almost a sure bet for one :D

The easiest solution is to buy a DE blade sampler pack. I find it interesting how some blades work in one DE but not in the next. Admittedly, I only use me DEs occasionally these days, but I recently sampled a number of blades (Personna of various origins, Derby, Lord, Astra, some Gillettes...) in three DEs, and the results were actually quite interesting. So I now use my Futur with red Isreali Personna blades, and that's that. That particular DE is also pretty easy to clean thanks to its snap-on blade cover. Ugly, but functional :)

For what it is worth,
I own and have used many of the double edge razors that Gillette made and most singles from Gem/EverReady. I found that, for me, the only comfortable shave other than a Straight is a Schick Injector; of which I have a few. The head heavy weight of the DEs makes them unpleasant for me to use and control. DEs have differing blade exposure in different models.
So, unfortunately, I am not in the DE group. Which is not to say they are not great shavers for those who like them!

And again. The lathering and angle knowledge from straight shaving has made the no-straight days a lot more pleasant.
Respectfully
~Richard

If you quote me on this, I shall terminate your earthly existence.

There are very lightweight DEs to be had. I really quite like my 41C for travelling. And I am not a fan of Pils DEs (or their various counterfeit brethren for that matter).

My real problem is that DEs inevitably give me ingrown hairs on the chin. Sometimes it takes a week, sometimes just one shave, and they're there. And without Avène Dermo-K, I could not use them at all. This Avène stuff is, by the way, the best cure for ingrown hairs I have ever found. Their cosmetics line is top notch, anyhow, but this cream works miracles. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but it will last forever. I've had mine for two years, and it's still half full (and should probably be replaced...).

But, as I said, I never said this.

[c]
20110615_Futur.jpg
[/c]

I've not enough experience with DEs to compare, but for one, the straight razor shave lasts longer for me, too. I was actually guessing it's the technique, but if you confirm it, maybe there's something to it...

BTW, has anyone tried Method Shaving by Charles Roberts? I don't mean his product line, but the shaving approach itself, neglecting the grain orientation and concentrating on fixed direction passes, "cutting forms" as he calls.

Any feedback on that?

regards,
Matt

I've carn't remeber the last time i used a de. Even though i have and there is a nack to using the double edge gilletes. they do give a great shave . now i use a straight its not because the shaves are any better , i just like shaving with straight razors. the one thing i did notice is straights are better and kinder on the face and i can shave more often than not with a de or mach 3 or shavette's. I can now do a shave with straight in ten minutes. in the begining it could take an hour.

mind you i was at the gym the other day. i was using straight, the guy next to me was using bic, he was done in two minutes flat. he used a bit of water and scraped his face away . i thought, na not for me,i'd rather take 30 minutes with straight any day.

gary

On the day I shave myself with a straight in ten minutes, I'll grant myself a Badass Shaver Award. :D Gary, do your ten minutes include lathering, too? That would be even more intimidating... :blink:

BTW, how come you guys shave in the gym? Honestly, I can't make it out.

cheers,
Matt

give or take with lathering rinsing down drying razor and ioling etc probably 20 minutes.

you carn't beat coming out the sauna and having a shave, thats why i have a shave at the gym, now and then.

gary

Well,as I suppose you got your straight razor technique right,there aint much more to say about using a DE.. Same lather,same stretching of the skin,same shaving patterns etc. The most difficult part of using a DE -especially an adjustable one as they can really eat your skin - is getting the right angle.

On rare occations I use a DE,just for the fun of it. But honestly there is no way a straight razor shave takes more than 15-20 mins. all included ? Admittedly I very rarely go ATG,that would offcourse take longer time.

Back on track : DE`s does provide excellent and consistent results. Offcourse there is the fuzz about blades etc. I do have a few vintage blades that still gives good results and thats after having been laying in a drawer or somewhere else for several decades.

Torbs

garyhaywood said:
you carn't beat coming out the sauna and having a shave, thats why i have a shave at the gym, now and then.

Holy cow, that's a bloody, errm, damn great idea! I'll wait until I reach 10 mins, though. ;)

torbenbp said:
Well,as I suppose you got your straight razor technique right,there aint much more to say about using a DE.. Same lather,same stretching of the skin,same shaving patterns etc. The most difficult part of using a DE -especially an adjustable one as they can really eat your skin - is getting the right angle.

On rare occations I use a DE,just for the fun of it. But honestly there is no way a straight razor shave takes more than 15-20 mins. all included ? Admittedly I very rarely go ATG,that would offcourse take longer time.

Back on track : DE`s does provide excellent and consistent results. Offcourse there is the fuzz about blades etc. I do have a few vintage blades that still gives good results and thats after having been laying in a drawer or somewhere else for several decades.

Torbs

i must say that like me i don't often go atg, so just two passess.

As far as I recall Matt got facial hair like a wild boar :w00t:

That sure wont make it easier.. I have soft,thin,weak growing facial hair so it really dosent take long to shave. Offcourse it`s all very individual. But as I consider straight razor shaving as a zen thing,time is not of importance,neiher is the result...-well,it should`nt be- erhmmm. It`s the time well spend thats counts for me.
Torbs

Just a shameless bump in case it goes unnoticed.. Has anyone tried Method Shaving by Charles Roberts?

Well, we're diverting from the main topic here; anyway, I do go ATG at least at some places. It ain't easy, I have to be careful and more often I sacrifice comfort for closeness, as I really like BBS shaves. I love the activity, but so do I the smooth face. :) Hence the search for a perfect shave... But I fully agree, Torbs, that's a well spent time!

regards,
Matt

Gary`s idea with shaving after training is great,though I would never ever shave in public!

Off topic once again: Since I started shaving with a straight my skin seems to have changed very considerably. When I started,a hot shower before shaving was urgent.Now I just splash hot water in the face and shave with hot lather,then shower afterwards. Or sometimes cold lather..thin lather..thick lather..it really doesnt seem to matter much anymore. The only thing always used is an alum block and _alcohol_ based aftershave,absolutely no cream whatsoever.

Sorry `bout getting off topic,perhaps a new thread would be better.

Torbs

I have tried method shaving using aleppo soap (i don't know if it is as efficient) instead of the cube but the shave was not as smooth as with an ATG pass. The mix of aleppo soap and shaving cream is a mess but deliver a good lather.
I also used J strokes on jaw bones and blade buffing on the chin. My favourite DE razor remains the futur with gilette blue or feather blades.

Regards

Laurent

Back