ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Did you lap your coticule from Ardennes?

Jantjeuh

Hey guys,

I'm wondering: Did you have to lap your hones when they came from Ardennes Coticules?

I ordered mine and specified it would be for razor honing. Both my BBW and Yellow Coticule were perfectly flat, or at least, this is my impression. Does anyone know if they do this as a standard? Mine also had slightly rounded edges.

Why don't you draw a grid on the stone with a pencil and then try to lap it off? The speed at which it comes off will confirm if it was or was not lapped at the factory.

Ray

Sorry I did not express myself correctly: Mine are perfectly flat, and it is my impression that this is no accident that they do it to all their hones.

Is this true for others as well? It's pretty neat that I never had to lap mine.

Oh, in that case... :lol:

Long day at work here, coticules relax me so I check the forum once in a while from here, but it also seems to mean that my attention span is fairly limited :blush:

It is 7 hrs earlier here in Arizona. Sometimes it is hard to be on the board the same time everyone else is. My work day started at 5am so I only have 4 hrs to go. I should be getting my cotti in the next couple of weeks, so you will hear more from me on this site once that happens.

Ray

Ah how you will enjoy it :)

I have seen many hones now at friends and so on (mostly for knives & tools) but none appeal to me like the Coticule. Sometimes I touch up my razor just because I feel bad for not using my coticule :blush: :scared: :D

The only kind I'm still interested in, but the price is definitely keeping me away from them, is the asian natural stones, not sure why, there's something about them...

I have been Straight Razor Shaving since 1967. Honing is not new to me, and I hone a lot of razors, 162 in the last 5 months. I have used Nortons, Naniwas, Shaptons, Spiderco, Escher, Thurington, Nakayama, Arkansaw, DMT and now BBW/Coticule.
The one thing I can tell you about each of these stones is that no 2 seem to be exactly alike. This is true even with the same brand, especially with the naturals.
Having bought and used so many stones, you can't imagine how nice it is to be able to purchase a stone that will fit the need you have requested. Because of Bart's intimate relation with each stone, you can be sure that what you are looking for will be close to or exactly what he recommends.
If you really want to learn this fine art, find someone you can send razors back and forth with to evaluate each others work. When you get their razor, shave with it, evaluate it, breadknife it, hone it and send it back for another go. I also don't like to make my evaluation on an edge until the 5th shave. The reason is because I have never made it past 6 before I need to do a touchup. One day though, I just might suprise myself.

I need to stop rambling.

Enjoy!

Ray

Flatter than a witches T!T :thumbup:

1967 Ray!
I was born that year, sweet jesus thats one long honing bug you have had my friend. I take it of course you hone for other people, and by the sounds of it you are kept busy with that.
best wishes to you
Ralfy

tat2Ralfy said:
Flatter than a witches T!T :thumbup:

1967 Ray!
I was born that year, sweet jesus thats one long honing bug you have had my friend. I take it of course you hone for other people, and by the sounds of it you are kept busy with that.
best wishes to you
Ralfy

It was a great year! Yes I do hone for others. I also re-scale and restore. I make and sell Hard Balsa Strops with Crox and Magnetic Razor Holders for sanding and restoring. So yea, pretty busy guy. If I can be of any help, please ask.

Ray

Back