ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

differant layers.

garyhaywood

I have the following

la verte 100x30

les latneausus (hybrid)

la patite blanch

le drassante au blue.

la vainette

la grosse jaune

I've took my ti silver wing and it was honed perfectly on my hybrid side, and the shave was just how i like it.

i have done 100 passes on water on each layer to compare the differance.this was before each shave . so 100 laps on lpb test and next shave 100 laps, differant layer and test a gain. and so on.

and my verdict was each layer left more or less the same kind of edge just nice and smooth,m very hard to seperate them.

i also did 10 laps on ti rasoir pate and compared this. i could tell the differnce with paste as the edge was still smooth but not as fluffy. i did 200 passes on water on my la drassante au blue to remove the pasted edge and the next shave was coticule edge and it was more to my liking.

very soft and gliding nicley above the skin. i would say its in the slurry stages where the differance is realy made , if the reaches max in slurry stages then the coticule edge will be a smooth as butter. the other thing is it sounds a lot of laps and a bit of a over kill. as for over honing i did 100 laps before each shave and 200 on one acasion. it seems impossable to over hone with coticule . the edges never deteriated once. i reckon i did somthing like 500 to 700 laps all in all.
gary

Gary, do you use the creamy side of the slurry stone for creating a slurry on your hybrid side?
Trying to raise a slurry on the hybrid side can be a real ballache!
Also, do you prefer Dilucot on the hybrid side compared to all your other Coticules? If so, why?

RicTic said:
Gary, do you use the creamy side of the slurry stone for creating a slurry on your hybrid side?
Trying to raise a slurry with the hybrid side can be a real ballache!
Also, do you prefer Dilucot on the hybrid side compared to all your other Coticules?

RicTic said:
Also, do you prefer Dilucot on the hybrid side compared to all your other Coticules? If so, why?
I'm not gary but I do it like this I raise a milky slurry on the creamy side of the les latneuses perform dilucot but don't finish then turn the stone raise a very light slurry(2 of 3 rubs) wih the same slurrystone perform a couple of sets of halfstrokes then raise half the stone perform another few sets of halfstrokes then raise the complete stone and the razor perform a set of haldf strokes and then finish with x-strokes

regards
Stijn

RicTic said:

i have always used creamy side of slurry stone to raize slurry on hybrid side. it was only when i got hold another 6x2 les lat from ardennes at 50 percent discount that i also got a slurry stone one side hybrid and the other typical yellow. i tryed and could not for the life of me get a slurry out of hybrid side on the 6x2.So i thought ah whats going on. So i tryed it on my 200x60mm les lat hybrid side, and the same it was ny on impossibl;e to create a good slurry.

which made me realize the slurry i have been developing is mainly of my slurry yellow side.When aplied to hybrid . even thought it sems to work , this must be down to the hybride surface. see what bart reckons?.

having said that i do use the les lat hybrid side for every thing from start to finish. the main reason why is i love the magnetic feel , the feed back, it almost tell me when the blade is just getting sharper, how by the feel the finishing edge is defanatley smooth, i like the lenght.the hybrid has been my most consistant when doing dilucot , it is easily quik enough to set bevel , the yellow side is that quik it will take care of chips, so for me it is the only hone i would ever of needed. i love the feed back of the la vainette, i have not worked loads on this hone , as i have not got enough older razors to keep doing the honing. the la drassante au blue is also a very nice hone and fairly consistant. my la patite blanch is just 125x40 and is also great hone i have not had as great a success with hitting the sweet pot on the hht , but i'm sure i would if i worked at it.

if i had to give up all my coticules , i would defanatley keep my les lat. because of every thing i mentioned and also the way it looks , its also very light as its thinner it feels like i'm holding a 6x2 if not lighter.

from what i have seen and read i think these hybrids could differ , as noted some just don't create a great slurry.. one tghing for sure i'm sure they would be gauranteed good finishers , while the other side will do all your main honing.

with water they all seem to do a nice job on the polishing side

Great thread Gary. :thumbup:

I wish I could honor you with a long write up, but there's really nothing I can add. Once the edge is keen enough, there really is not much to discern between various Coticules on water. Getting it keen enough is the hardest part, but it has always been my experience that if I can get a violin at the end of the dilution phase, I can always succeed in bringing the edge home.

Kind regards,
Bart.

yes that is what i have found once the edge is there any coticule will do a fine touch up and leave a soft fluffy buttery edge , this differs from metal to metal , differant grinds and steals basicly.

garyhaywood said:
...having said that i do use the les lat hybrid side for every thing from start to finish. the main reason why is i love the magnetic feel , the feed back, it almost tell me when the blade is just getting sharper...

The Les Latnueses is such a versatile stone.
I use the creamy side for the majority of Dilucot, then flip it for the finishing stages.

Definately going to do a full Dilucot on the hybrid alone having read your post.
I particularly like the idea of using the magnetic feel the hybrid has as a guide to moving on.
Am I right in saying you feel less resistance at the end of every stage as an indication to add another drop of water to the slurry?
I'm also guessing that you don't bother counting how many strokes you're doing during the process?

I don't want to take this thread off track, and my apologies to Gary in advance, but this seems like a good place to pose my question.
Has anyone ever categorized the individual veins as to their general properties, strengths and weaknesses as compared to each other?
The reason I'm asking is because I just purchased an almost rectangular bout, 150x50mm La Grosse Blanche. I've searched as much information as I could find, and it appears that the stars have to align correctly for dilucot, but it should be an excellent finisher.
I've only got experience with my La Veinette, and limited at that, so I'm wondering just what to expect, in all liklihood from La Grosse Blanche.

BlacknTan said:
I don't want to take this thread off track, and my apologies to Gary in advance, but this seems like a good place to pose my question.
Has anyone ever categorized the individual veins as to their general properties, strengths and weaknesses as compared to each other?
The reason I'm asking is because I just purchased an almost rectangular bout, 150x50mm La Grosse Blanche. I've searched as much information as I could find, and it appears that the stars have to align correctly for dilucot, but it should be an excellent finisher.
I've only got experience with my La Veinette, and limited at that, so I'm wondering just what to expect, in all liklihood from La Grosse Blanche.

That's not accurate at all. Dilucot works very well with La Grosse Blanche. I have one, and my brother owns the one in the new Dilucot video (coffin shaped). It follows the standard procedure, but just like any of them takes some time to learn the nuances of them.

Like all Blanches, understanding how to use slurry and dilute it correctly to minimize the slurry dulling effect is the key to mastering them. Once you figure that out, they're incredible and finish exceptionally well.

But, yes, they tend to deliver a delightfully mellow finish which is very nice for this time of year (at least for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere)

RicTic said:
garyhaywood said:
...having said that i do use the les lat hybrid side for every thing from start to finish. the main reason why is i love the magnetic feel , the feed back, it almost tell me when the blade is just getting sharper...

The Les Latnueses is such a versatile stone.
I use the creamy side for the majority of Dilucot, then flip it for the finishing stages.

Definately going to do a full Dilucot on the hybrid alone having read your post.
I particularly like the idea of using the magnetic feel the hybrid has as a guide to moving on.
Am I right in saying you feel less resistance at the end of every stage as an indication to add another drop of water to the slurry?
I'm also guessing that you don't bother counting how many strokes you're doing during the process?

i do count laps on dilucot. once bevel is poping hair and under cutting slurry. i do 20 laps per half set. as slurry get thinner i increase the laps to 25 then 30. i don't count sets i just go untill the slurry has turned to literaly water. i finish as normal with 50 laps on water. i clean and dry my hybrid side. rest for 10 minutes . i rewet and do another 50 laps on water , then just probe hht from there. the reason i do that is to reduce any jitering or grabiness on hybrid side. basicly the razor just glides much much nicer giving a nicer finish, of this particular hybrid.i find as my razor becomes sharper the drag realy increases on my hybrid. give it a go let us n o if you get a good result.

cheers gary

garyhaywood said:
RicTic said:
i do count laps on dilucot. once bevel is poping hair and under cutting slurry. i do 20 laps per half set. as slurry get thinner i increase the laps to 25 then 30. i don't count sets i just go untill the slurry has turned to literaly water. i finish as normal with 50 laps on water. i clean and dry my hybrid side. rest for 10 minutes . i rewet and do another 50 laps on water , then just probe hht from there. the reason i do that is to reduce any jitering or grabiness on hybrid side. basicly the razor just glides much much nicer giving a nicer finish, of this particular hybrid.i find as my razor becomes sharper the drag realy increases on my hybrid. give it a go let us n o if you get a good result.

cheers gary

Thanks Gary. I'll get back to you after I hone my next razor from dulling.
I'll keep a lookout for the increase in drag as the edge gets sharper too. An interesting tip like that is the kind of help I'll always appreciate.
Would you say it's unique to the hybrid side, or have you experienced this with other Coticules?

Thanks Gary. I'll get back to you after I hone my next razor from dulling.
I'll keep a lookout for the increase in drag as the edge gets sharper too. An interesting tip like that is the kind of help I'll always appreciate.
Would you say it's unique to the hybrid side, or have you experienced this with other Coticules?

David.

the hybrid side has a realy strong resistants some guys carn't use the hybrid side because the jittering and resistants is just to strong. mine newster have a real tremer but with use its realy calmed down and flows nicley. with magnetic feel. you do get feed back of other coticules . i never felt any thing like the hybrid its defanatley a feel to its own.

i have coticules that are like glass and some that have a nice resistants , on slurry. on water they just glide, some feel softer and harder,, on water with hybrid the razor gets sucked down to the hone a tadge , gives great controll.

one good thing with hybrid i carn't see it ever need lapping,

Back