ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Duble Duck Goldedege honing on Coticule

king

Two days ago I recived DD Goldedge. I do not know who did honing job before but razor pass HHT and I think it will give nice shave but shave was really bad (harsh). I got some irritation especially on my neck.
So, I dulled edge on glass and made bevel setting on Naniwa 1k. After that I honed it out on Coticule. After stropping razor pass HHT (something between 4 and 5). I inspect razor under magnification and I can not see any visible teeths.
Tonight I shaved again and shaving was excellent everywhere except place on the neck where I had irritation two days ago. Tonight irritation on the same place.
So, what you think, was it possible that skin did not recover yet and I got irritation again or maybe razor still not honed properly???

Not at all king .The razor is well honed :thumbup:
Your skin is already irritated ,especially in the neck place.I believe that the beard grow in.
Try to keep very low angle ,like 20 d.Do you the same problem using other straights ,or is just
DD?Please let me know.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Emmanuel said:
Not at all king .The razor is well honed :thumbup:
Your skin is already irritated ,especially in the neck place.I believe that the beard grow in.
Try to keep very low angle ,like 20 d.Do you the same problem using other straights ,or is just
DD?Please let me know.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I did not have such problems before (sometimes, but not so often). As I said I make irritaation two days ago when I did shaving with DD before honing. Yesterday after honing it out and today irritation is still present in the same place on the neck.
I also think that skin not recover yet and that's main reason. Probably tommorow I will take day off from shaving and left skin to recover.
Grrrrr....I hate myself. I had to do honing job on that DD before shaving and not to believe HHT test especially when I did not have indications which way razor was honed before. Also I had to inspect it under magnification at least :mad:

You might try taking a day or two off and letting the irritation go away, then try again. You may just be prolonging the same instance of irritation by shaving over it each day. If you let it heal up, then try again, you may find it was just a bad shave and not the razor.

King after the naniva i k you have to redulled the edge before coticule. So you are sure that the prodused edge is coming from coticule.Because is possible to have a good HHT after naniva 1k due to teeth existence.Thats a serious cause to have irritations.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Drybonz said:
You might try taking a day or two off and letting the irritation go away, then try again. You may just be prolonging the same instance of irritation by shaving over it each day. If you let it heal up, then try again, you may find it was just a bad shave and not the razor.

+1

Emmanuel said:
King after the naniva i k you have to redulled the edge before coticule. So you are sure that the prodused edge is coming from coticule.Because is possible to have a good HHT after naniva 1k due to teeth existence.Thats a serious cause to have irritations.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Honestly, I did not dull edge after Naniwa 1k. Under scope (100X) there are no visible teeth.

Sounds like you have a great edge on that Dubl'Duck. Give the patch on your neck some time to heal. You could have attracted some inflammation from the bad encounter with the previous edge on that razor.

Dubl'ducks are very hollow ground, highly flexible blade. They call for a very light touch during the shave.

Kind regards,
Bart

Bart said:
Sounds like you have a great edge on that Dubl'Duck. Give the patch on your neck some time to heal. You could have attracted some inflammation from the bad encounter with the previous edge on that razor.

Dubl'ducks are very hollow ground, highly flexible blade. They call for a very light touch during the shave.

Kind regards,
Bart

I strongly second this recommendation. I've had bad irritation from a razor that was badly microchipping, and it was biasing my opinion of another non-problematic (and very well-honed) razor. It required a few days of rest until my skin recovered. If you have one available, a cheap hand microscope or loupe will help you see what's going on.

(And if you haven't already, watch the video of Gary shaving Mr. Liam!)

Bart said:

Kind regards,
Bart

+1

Some pressure, some irritation from previously bad honed razor and "volia" problem persists.
Today I will take day off from shaving so skin have opportunity to rest and heal and tommorow I will know is this above correct or maybe razor still not there.

I have a duble duck and they hone up real nice and never let me down with the HHT. One of my favourites. let the skin rest .I have a sensative part just under my chin. That area can go red with to many atg passes or if the razor was'nt keen enough and i had to push a little. Also depends on the edge i have produced of the coticule. I just shaved every day of this week ATG. today i shaved three times atg just to see how my skin took it in the neck area. the razor was honed on my 150x40 la vainette . HHT was medium one at that. the shave was very forgiving and left me with perfect untouched skin in the sensative area also no irritation at all. Now that the beauty of a coticule edge .

gary

So, let' back to my "beloved" DD.
As I said in previous Thread, today I recived and honed out "Gotta" razor. I can not resist not to shave tonight no matter on my irritation from DD at Monday (which was visible yesterday also).
I just finish shaving with "Gotta" and there is no irittation as I expect because my skin did not heal yet.
So, I am pretty sure that problem with DD was not shaving technique (pressure or high angle). I look the blade again and did some measurements. DD tends to be 5/8 but it is not, it's about 2 mm shorter than 5/8. I think that somebody did grinding job (perhaps it was some bigger chip and grinding was necessary). In that case, is there some special way to do honing job because, bevel start to be little bit wider than expect from 5/8 full hollow blade.

I would check the bevel geometry with the calculator in the Sharpening Academy or your own trigonometry to see if it falls within recommmendations. If it is on the low side of 17d. I would raise the spine with tape or a sleeve and see if that improved the results.

If that much of the edge was removed, I would wager a guess that you are already honing into or beyond the razor's ridge. In which case - given the hollow grind of the Dubl Duck - you would be shaving with a piece of aluminium foil.

If understand you well, this Dubl'Duck is worn down to 4/8 or thereabouts? If it lost that width during a repair job, it is possible that portion of the blade was removed without the spine being adjusted. You should find a caliper and precisely measure the spine and the blade width. That would allow you to calculate the bevel angle. We have a calculator for that. It comes with instructions for making the measurements. It's an excel sheet, you can download it here

I think that is the first thing to do. There's a good chance the angle will be ok, but if it isn't, it's something to be fixed first.

Apart from all that, if the blade has lost al lot of width, the edge will now occupy a thicker part of the blade, making it essentially a stiffer grind, width a wider bevel, that no longer possesses the great ease of honing of the original Dubl'Duck. in the old days, people would sometimes send their worn razors back to the factory for a so-called "regrind". I have heard rumor recently that Dovo still offers a regrind service, but I'm not sure it is true.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Check this image out: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/The_straight_razor#Single_and_double_grinds - whether you call it ridge, wall, belly, or longitudinal stabiliser: If it is gone, you do not have a stiffer, but a floppier grind.

Maybe photo tell more (width from the very tip of the egde to the top of sipne is 16 mm).

0001085596_l_0_mlp5ft.jpg

0001085603_l_0_kkt0k7.jpg

BeBerlin said:
Check this image out: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/The_straight_razor#Single_and_double_grinds - whether you call it ridge, wall, belly, or longitudinal stabiliser: If it is gone, you do not have a stiffer, but a floppier grind.

The belly is still on the blade, it's not gone.
Also as I said in the post above the width of the blade is 16 mm (from the edge to the top of the spine), but in comparison with Dovo "Prima Klang" 5/8 DD blade is narrower.
I check edge angle and it's 16,8 (14,7 mm is the width from the tip of the edge to the hone wear and thickness of the spine is 4,2 mm).

If your edge is good now:thumbup:
But i think the shoulder needs to be rounded off a bit(you dont want to hone the shoulder stabiliser)

Last night I decide to hone out DD again but this time with one layer of electrical tape added.
I dulled it on the glass and start Dilucot procedure from the beggining. After all razor pass good HHT-4.
Tonight shaving was amazing. No irritation.
So, I just can conclude that honing without tape produced bevel angle under 17d and that was case for bad shaving first time.
My tape is about 0,15 mm and when I put all parameters in .xls table for angle calculation bevel angle now is about 18d.

Back