ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

European strop makers.

Jeltz

Other than Neil Miller who else makes strops in the EU?

P.s. I don't mean people like Dovo I'm after artisan strop makers.

Emmanuel said:
Torolf's strops.You can't find better in Europe .I bet my house.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Betting it so soon, Emmanuel? At least you chose wisely what to bet on.

yes torof strops are very nice, the leather is the most supplist i have had, with perfcet draw, and much cheaper than neil miller strops.

gary

As said from me too Nic, Torolf makes the nicest strops I ever used :thumbup:

Apart from that I dont think there is anyone else?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

danjared said:
Emmanuel said:

Well, don't forget where Emmanuel is coming from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offence, my friend, I sincerely hope you sport a good sense of humor. :)

regards,
Matt

Many thanks

I did actually mean the EU due to the silly way we get charged VAT/Duty and an obscene handling fee by the courier if you are unlucky enough to get caught for tax on import. The threshold above which VAT is payable has just dropped to £15 which is about 17.4 euros.

However I shall look into Torolf's strops thanks. Does he have a website or just sell on forums?

After some searching through google and my initial reply being eaten by the 'reply' button I found these:

- Mr Steen's Old Traditional for The Different Scent in Berlin

- Leo de Brouwers paddle strop for Scheerwinkel in Leiden, The Netherlands

- Unspecified manufacturer's Luxurious Latigo hanging strops at Rasurpur.de (same strops also at Scheerwinkel.nl) Rasurpur also carries the Kanayama 30,000. It's quite pricey though at €149, I think importing it from Japan through JimR of easternsmooth.com will come out cheaper, the price for the same strop (excl. shipping) is around €97.

That being said, I recently got a Scrupleworks (Torolf) strop with worsted wool backing and it works like a dream. Can't go wrong there. I think it's easiest to contact him through the forum, username TM280.

Jeltz said:
The threshold above which VAT is payable has just dropped to £15 which is about 17.4 euros.
Holy cow, is it a general EU change, or applicable for UK only? :blink:

Matt said:
Jeltz said:
The threshold above which VAT is payable has just dropped to £15 which is about 17.4 euros.
Holy cow, is it a general EU change, or applicable for UK only? :blink:

Dont us Brits have it easy :mad: lol

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

well at least we don't have to import whisky, I live in scotland so it comes out the taps anyways :w00t:

Matt said:
danjared said:
Emmanuel said:

Well, don't forget where Emmanuel is coming from. :lol: :lol: :lol:

No offence, my friend, I sincerely hope you sport a good sense of humor. :)

regards,
Matt

Yep ..... humor flows in my blood Matt.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Well Torolf has sent me a few pictures but since this is being funded by family members giving me money I don't yet know how much I will have available to spend.

There is a choice of cowhide or horsehide, the latter being dearer and I suspect I shall be able to afford one, has anyone tried both the cow and horse versions? If so what is the difference?

I have the cowhide, its supple and the draw is pefect, you carn't go wrong, i ave the horse hide on the way, i persume its similar. i'll let you no?
gary

Just got the horshide today, what abeauty:thumbup:
the leathers are both very similar. the new horshide is identical to tony millers notaven.

the leather has very strong smell of pure leather, qulity that all i can say.

if i was to choose between them i could 'nt, both leather are similar in draw, the cowhide has maybe more of drag, where as the horshide as same draw, but a sound of shik shik, it s hard to describe. its a shinier surface where as cow hide is a matt surface , both very good strop s and exallant leathers. the swdish linen, is also a joy to use , and it works as well as linen, feels as nice as linen, natural linen that is.

i 'd recomend one any way.

On Coupe chou club, a member makes some strop.

He's doing them from natural tanned horse leather and with canvas, for about 35/45 euros.

I only got his strop, it's doing good job, and members that have other strops find they are better than dovos etc... may not kanayama, but they are good strops, and very good value for the price.

If you whant to see them : http://coupechouclub.cultureforum.net/t5894-laniere-strop-handmade.

The only thing is you have to register and introduce yourself first...

Back