ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

extracting coticule from box

geruchtemoaker

Today I got my hands on a "vintage" coticule which sits in a box(I think its glued in it) my question is: how do I get it out without damaging the box?
[img=600]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15247762/Foto0041.jpg[/img]
kind regards
Stijn

Sorry, I can't see the picture...

But I'm afraid it's gonna be quite difficult to do, becouse I presume the glue used should be a strong one, to hold a stone and wood together...

Or maybie you shoul try to slide a thin metallic obget, as a small screwdriver, to try to lift it up out of the box, but there's a risk to let some signs on both stone and wood...

Another solution could be, depending on the wood's look, to drop the whole thing in water, and hope that the water dissolves the water...

Well I'm looking on this post to see what's going on.

Bertrand.

decraew said:
Ah you got it then, not for his asking price I presume. :thumbup:
for a small 40euro(delivered at my doorstep) and the stone itself is about the same size of my les latneuses I purchased on the coticule weekend:thumbup:

Stijn,

I had that problem before. It got it out quite easy: Heat your oven to about 60° Celsius and put the thing in there. Let it sit there for 15 minutes. Put on some gloves and try to wiggle it loose. If it does not move, put it in the oven for another couple of minutes.
As said, mine came out in a jiffy.

Cheers ya ol' mosher!

EDIT: Oh, and .... don't forget to open the windows and make sure you're not planning on baking a Lasagne in that oven the same day. There may be some ... we'll let's call it "interesting odor" :rolleyes:

Then I'll do it outdoor(thank god for portable ovens) and the 60 degrees is that a typo? because it seems really low

thanks
Stijn

Hi Stijn,

I have removed quite a few stones from their housings...
The oven trick will work. At 60 degrees, maybe 75. But I have had very good luck with very hot water, maybe about 60 degrees (!). Don't start prying at it with anything, you'll just chip things up.

Run it under the hot water, try to get it in between the stone and the wood. Start wiggling it, if possible. Then put a kitchen towel on the edge of your counter (you may want to unscrew the lid for this), turn it upside down, make sure your hand is under the stone, and tap the edge of the box (the top edge...) flat against the edge of the counter. The weight of the stone combined with the force of the strike always gets the damn things out. (Just as easy to do this after being in the oven but with water everything is not so hot to hold)

Good luck!
regards,
Torolf

No doubt .Hot water . I remove many.Are glued by rubit skin adhesive or melted crepe .
Best regards
Emmanuel

Hot water from me too :)

I have used the hot oven and found it works, but its not as wife friendly :D

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I am pleased to let you know I got the coticule out. I tried the counter-top thing but it didn't work(or at least not fast enough) so I came up with a better solution I put the box upside-down on 2 pieces of wood so the coticule doesn't touches the ground put a piece of wood on the back(to prevent damage) and tapped it with a hammer(was willing to try a herring but I didn't find one:cry: )
I hoped to be able to use the box as a storage box but as it turns out it a to tight fit so I'll have some work(when I have the time and the tools) to make de cavity just a mm or so bigger so it doesn't clamp and I can get it in and out without troubles

pics coming up soon

Thank you all for you help
Kind Regards
Stijn

Good job! I'll have to remember your technique:thumbup:

I don't think you'll need tools, though, to use that box. Just wrap some sandpaper around a ice cream stick, or something, and have a few passes all around the edge. Not much needs to come off before the stone is loose enough in the case.

regards,
Torolf

Depending on what the sides of the stone look like you may find it just as appealing to lap them a little bit. That will also loosen the fit.

life2short1971 said:
Depending on what the sides of the stone look like you may find it just as appealing to lap them a little bit. That will also loosen the fit.
that's what I did actually now it fits perfect meaning I don't have to push it to get in.

Kind regards
Stijn

Back