ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Fine Accoutrements Razors

gvw755

I received my Fine Accoutrements Worlds Finest Razor today and shaved with it tonight. Fine Accoutrements introduced this razor last Summer and folks immediately formed opinions on it without even trying it. For one, this was a $165 stainless steel razor made in China. To cut down on cost, it was shipped in three plastic bags for the handle, cap, and base plate instead of a fancy custom made cardboard box. Then there was the part about the name, not because it had the audacity to call itself the worlds finest, but because they did not put the ' between the d and s - World's. Of course, I got mine on BST for much less, and it came fully assembled in a larger plastic bag, so the wait was worth it.

Supposedly this razor was a tribute to the Gillette Short Comb, and to an extent, the handle bore a slight resemblance to the Common Bar. Of course it differed by using pins for aligning the blade and the open comb had a bar running through it similar to the Muhle R41. Upon close examination, the comb actually went completely around the bar resembling more the Roller Guard base plate made for the Gillette Old Type, however it did not roll.

DSC03570.JPG

Build was quite good, and Mr Fine reminded you of the name of this razor by engraving the name on the cap, base plate, and handle. The handle, unlike the Common Bar, was a solid piece of stainless steel and so the razor was quite heavy, with most of the weight toward the bottom because the head itself was thin.

DSC03572.JPG

DSC03571.JPG

DSC03573.JPG

First shave was tonight and the WTG pass was a little on the rough side and so I adjusted the angle to ride the cap more. The shave then became very comfortable and efficient. Maneuvering the head was not a problem as it's smaller size made it easy to get into hard to reach areas. The shave definitely felt more like shaving with a roller guard than it did a short comb. ATG went well, however there was some buffing in areas that did not get as clean a shave as I had wanted. I finished off with an XTG in the usual places along my jaw line and under my chin and ended up with a comfortable BBS. I have to admit that this was just barely passable as a BBS and one that will probably start producing some stubble in a couple of hours from now. Still, it was a comfortable shave and for those that seek a daily shave, this would pass for one.

Is it the Worlds Finest? I am not sure. I guess Mr Fine by omitting the punctuation mark was implying that this would be the finest razor of many different worlds. I know it isn't on Earth, and I know that Merkur has a lock on Mercury, so maybe Uranus? The price is a hinderance since one can get away with two Razorock stainless steel razors or a Blackland Dart for way less money, and these are built in North America.

Here's the Fine Superlite Slant razor. Actually my second: the first one had a lorry drive over the package it was in, destroying the Fine and nearly destrying the Coles travel slant in the same box.
I really love the packaging of this razor. The razor itself is more or less a clone of the Globusman A47, but there's something about the used material that just doesn't work for me. In looks, maybe, but in shave certainly. Which was a big disappointment to me, as I like the A47 style razors, and I like ultralightweight razors too, but this razor did not deliver what its cheap plastic Solingen ancestor did.
DSC05015.JPG
DSC05016.JPG
DSC05017.JPG
DSC05018.JPG
DSC05020.JPG
DSC05021.JPG
DSC05022.JPG
DSC05023.JPG
DSC05025.JPG
DSC05026.JPG
DSC05028.JPG
DSC05029.JPG
DSC05030.JPG

Next up, Fine produced a very shiny, really well produced and finished aluminum slant. This one, I love for the looks, really love the weight, but unfortunately, for me it lags behind in quality of shave.
DSC08932.JPG
DSC08933.JPG
DSC08934.JPG
DSC08935.JPG
DSC08937.JPG
DSC08938.JPG
DSC08940.JPG
DSC08941.JPG
DSC08942.JPG
DSC08943.JPG
DSC08944.JPG

I see where you have it side by side with the original Fine slant (which I believe was their first razor). I never shaved with the aluminum one, but the original one made of ABS was an excellent shaver.

Well, since @efsk added the two Fine slants to this thread, I guess I will add the only Fine razor left (for now). Of course, for those that know my razor buying habits, I am adding the Fine Marvel, which is their cheapest and strangest looking razor, but surprisingly, an excellent shaver.

DSC03579.JPG

DSC03580.JPG

DSC03581.JPG

This razor had some unusual features, such as the angled cap, and an extremely thick and curved safety bar. It retained the standard Fine handle design, which the two slants also used, but the Worlds Finest moved away from. It also did not have it's name etched everywhere, but just retained the stylized F at the bottom of the handle.

Despite it's appearance, this ended up being a very comfortable and efficient shaver consistently giving me a two pass plus touch up BBS. It is also a brainless shaver in that the angle of the cap perfectly sets the most efficient angle for your shave. I think the best part of this razor is that the two pieces work very well in creating new Frankenrazors (something I like just as much as getting a cheap razor). :daumenhoch

Back