ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Finishing after a 8k DMT

jeness

I was sharpening a few razors on a 8k DMT, I left them as they are, I will test shave them to know if they are almost there. What would you advice, how should I finish them? Is clean water enough and ~50-100 laps, or should I start with a 2 rub slurry and then water? Never tried it, so maybe someone has an idea :)

'Many questions come to mind - mostly about the state of the dmt plate. I was advised away from the plate for an 8k hone because when new, they often come w/ varying states of uniform coating. It was often advised to sharpen a bunch of kitchen knives on it first - to knock off the larger chunks that are not deposited at a uniform height. I followed advice to go to a naniwa 8k, and it worked well. You might want to look at the bevels under magnification to see if the DMT left any scratches that water alone will not erase. If present, some slurry before water might help.

Best of luck w/ the approach.

Yes, it does depend on the state of the plate. Mine required quite a bit of break in before it would give 8k-like results. It also depends on how much pressure you were using on the 8k, too much pressure will yield a very fine toothy edge that might take a little more work on the coticule to smooth out the edge. I don't have a coticule (yet), i used CrOx for that purpose.

Again, i don't have a coticule (just a BBW), but I would start with a misty slurry and work with few sets of few strokes checking often. if you're not seeing much improvement in the finish of the edge (hht-wise), rinse and start with a slightly thicker slurry, and dilute.

No doubt jeness, misty slurry and normal dilution.Independent what HHT reached after DMT 8k.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Okay, thank you very much! :) Than I will start out with 2-3 rubs with the slurry stone, and slowly dilute it to water.

My 8k is well broken in, and I was inspecting the edges under 160x. The scratch pattern was very even, no deep scratches. So I hope I will be fine with a bit of slurry, then water.

I dont entirely understand? are you saying that you will use a Coticule to finish after the DMT? if so why not just use the Coticule instead of the DMT?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I was in the mood to try what is the max I can get out of a 8k DMT. I didn't shave with the blades yet, but I think a bit of refinement with a coti won't hurt :) Sometimes I do my full honing on a coti, sometimes not. I like a bit of variety until I find what I like best.

Ah I see, I wasn't entirely sure
As said from me then, when I have used my 8K, I finish on a Coticule starting with a very light slurry, just 3 or so rubs of the slurry stone, and I perform sets of 30 halfstrokes diluting every set, until i am just using dirty water (maybe four sets) rinse stone and razor well, then a couple sets more sets on plain water, rinse off again and finish with 30-60 regular X strokes on water, HHT should be delightful :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back