ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

First attempt

Batmang

Well, I finally got up the nerve to try my new coticule (No.68). I followed the unicot method after watching Bart's video a few dozen times and even printing out the directions to have nearby. And just as Bart predicted, I took this Griffin 5/8 all the way to a shave...and did not go through days of practice. Initially I had the stone lying on the table as I raised the slurry, but I quickly switched to holding in my hand I began to put blade to stone. I spent about 45 minutes with it going through the various stages and eventually finished it and took it upstairs to shave with it. It felt smooth throughout the shave, with no pulling or tugging, and it cut hair, but not very well. It could be my technique, but I suspect it needs some more work on the stone. I will likely draw it across a glass and start over, but I am not disappointed. I feel much less anxious about honing and I know that I can develop a feel for it with some practice. It is, after all, just some steel and a rock. Thank you Bart and Coticule.be for the encouragement and tips.

Nathan

Congratulations Nathan,

I too started experimenting with the Coticule two weeks ago. I have much to learn, right now I am utilizing x strokes to hone the razors once I got this down pat I will move to the other methods prescribed in this forum. HOG

Well done Nathan :thumbup:

If you are finding your Unicot edges are not quite there I can suggest two things:

1, make sure you set the bevel well, it should easily shave arm hair in a "damn this things crispy sharp" kind of way, before you add the tape and move on.

2, once the tape is on, make your slurry thinner than you think it needs to be, and dont make too many strokes on it before moving to water only, the method works so well because the secondary bevel is TINY, you will do very well to be able to see it with the naked eye kind of tiny, I have to use 60X mag on my bevels if I cant remember if I honed that whatever razor before I switched to always using Dilucot.

and to you both every success, once it all starts to fall into place you will see how "easy" it can be

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Ah n°68, that lovely La Petite Blanche. :love:

Dr. Ralfson gave you excellent advice.

For now, I would not dull again. First try to add 2 layers of tape (instead of one) and perform about 30 of the lightest possible strokes on plain water. Pay very careful attentions to stropping the razor well.

Kind regards,

Bart.

PS. there have been a few members lately that had initial problems with Unicot, because their tape was only 0.10 mm thick, instead of the recommended 0.15mm. When in doubt, stick 10 layers of tape together and measure with calipers. It must be 1.5mm instead of 1.0 mm.

Thank you for the advice and the words of encouragement. I will go at it again tomorrow as I have not shaved today and want to use the "shave ready" test again. (I do not have a thick beard so two days gives me a better feel.) I appreciate the reminder about not making too many strokes before moving on to water only...I may have "overhoned" and fouled up the bevel in doing so. I wish I had calipers to measure my tape, but I can always pick up some 3M before tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Nathan

Batmang said:
I wish I had calipers to measure my tape, but I can always pick up some 3M before tomorrow.

If in doubt just try 2 layers Nathan, if that improves it, wait until you have done it often enough to succeed everytime, then go at it with 1 layer, that way you know its not down to your technique ;)

Best wishes and well done again

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Nathan,

Keep at it you will get there sooner than you think. I just got started with my Coticule and it is great when it comes together.

Best of luck.

Lu

Back