ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

First time trying the dilocut

Nothing but outstanding advice in this tread.
I wish I could add something.:O

You guys are all rapidly becoming true experts. :)
At this rate, we're going to experience a shortage of noobs anytime soon.

Best regards,
Bart.

Well..As I was about to touch up my razor I noticed a small chip at the very tip of it. To make things easier I grabbed my DMT 1200 and went to town. After I got rid of the chip I figured well now that I have to rehone the razor, might as well use the dilucot method. So I used a heavy slurry until it shaved hair and then started slowing diluting it until I was left with plain water. I did about 80 laps on plain water, hit the fabric and then latigo. Well according to HHT and some other small tests, the razor didn't get all that better.

Little update...

Well after trying some more dilocut, I sort of figured out that the bevel might be too wide (mainly caused by the heavy duty work on the DMT 1200) so I realized that it would be very difficult to hone it properly with the dilocut technique. As a result, I added one layer of tape and went with the unicot method. The razor is now popping hair and passing the HHT very well. I'm not mastering the whole dilocut method, but I'm sure I will. I don't have any problems getting the razor to shave hair well after using the heavy slurry, but I'm having some difficulties actually sharpening the razor following that step.

JF

Well bad luck there dude, but its all a fantastic learning curve.

ok just for me click here: http://www.coticule.be/wedges.html scroll down to the XL table link and check that bevel angle, simply measure the blade and change the values in the form, btw my tape measures at a slim 1.1mm not the same as the original value, thing is that unless you have worn the spine down with the DMT? the bevel shouldn't have grown too much at all.

having said all that the Dilocut method does take some mastering, and trust me once you have honed a few razors successfully with it, you will find it a very enjoyable and rewarding experience.

I suggest trying it again on a razor that you have had good unicot results before, you will be familiar with the blade, and have the confidence knowing that you can add a layer of tape if you need and get an edge at least as good as it was before, keep up the good work, keep the faith, and remember you are doing just fine buddy :thumbup:

hi

when i first started i was finding that i was rushing things.

now i rteckon i do 7 progressions from when arrm hair is shaved to water only.

It works for me and gives me consistency as i do it each time

I guess it is something you get used too.

With me it suddenly "clicked" strength of slurry, diluting etc

I have honed razors that others would have thrown - simply cos they do not look nice.

This is how i get my kicks and also means i can make errors and not spoil

Practise again and again

Bart said:
Nothing but outstanding advice in this tread.
I wish I could add something.:O

You guys are all rapidly becoming true experts. :)
At this rate, we're going to experience a shortage of noobs anytime soon.

Best regards,
Bart.

We had a good teacher :thumbup:

THanks guys! I just tried again with a different razor. THis one seems to be better. Still not perfect though. I have to get a grasp of how the diluting process is supposed to go. (ie. how thick to start and how many times to dilute etc...)

At this point I think I will try shaving with it tomorrow to see how it performs. Should I go back to slurry or simply try with water for another 50 some passes? I'm also not certain what you guys mean by "misty" like consistency. Sometimes I get to a point where it's almost water, but with a slight tint of slurry in it. Is that what you guys mean by misty or a bit thicker than that?

Thanks!

SHAVE ON!

Well just had a shave with three different razors. Overall a pretty rough shave. It probably didn't help that I switched to three different blades. 2 of those 3 razors were honed using the Unicot and one with the dilocut. I think the 5/8 SS solingen razor (honed using unicot) was pretty good. It may improve from a little session with the water alone though. (I hear that SS takes a bit more care to get crazy sharp). My great grand dad's razor did an acceptable job. FInally my last razor using the dilocut started pretty well, but felt different during the second round. (like it wasn't at the same level of sharpness) I think the harsh winter weather probably did not help (it's currently -29 degrees here with the windchill) and the fact that I've been shaving every single day for the past 2 weeks. Oh well I think I will limit my testing to using only one razor at a time. That way I can determine how each razor tackles my problem areas.

CHeers!

JF

jfdupuis said:
THanks guys! I just tried again with a different razor. THis one seems to be better. Still not perfect though. I have to get a grasp of how the diluting process is supposed to go. (ie. how thick to start and how many times to dilute etc...)

At this point I think I will try shaving with it tomorrow to see how it performs. Should I go back to slurry or simply try with water for another 50 some passes? I'm also not certain what you guys mean by "misty" like consistency. Sometimes I get to a point where it's almost water, but with a slight tint of slurry in it. Is that what you guys mean by misty or a bit thicker than that?

Thanks!

SHAVE ON!

What you described is what I would consider a misty slurry.

FWIW, I didn't really care for before (and not sure if I still do but I'm evaluating) using the HHTs as a standard. However, I've started recently working to incorporate it more into my routine. I don't come off the stones and start stropping until I get HHT-4. To be perfectly honest, I've not had a bad shave from the razors that I've gotten to the HHT-4/5 range off of any hone. Also, some of my better shavers (that I didn't ever really utilize the HHT) on I've gone back and tested and most of the good ones have been HHT-4/5.

The point of that last paragraph is that if I'm at HHT-2, I'll do 100 laps on water before worrying about testing it again. Same for HHT-3 (my coticule is on the small side, so I'd adjust accordingly for a larger stone). The good thing about coticules is that they don't really remove a whole lot of steel with just water anyway, so I err on the high side of laps. This whole experience has done wonders for my honing skills. It has forced me to increase my speed, improve my razor handling, even my stroke, and learn how to get a better feel for what's happening on the hones and how to adjust pressure accordingly.

exactly what i have found paul thats why i stand by hht i've got a bismarkk its passing hht 4/5 on medium hair after stropping on ultra fine hair which i no its possible to pass 4/5 its just not hapening so i have done 100 laps extra on water still the same another and still the same now i no for a fact if i use my cro ox the razor wwill hit fine hairs on a 5 so i tryed 6 laps on balsa hone with crox and a layer of tape as ray recomends and there was'nt much if any differance still passing a good 4/5 but only just or not at all on ultra fine hair. now the shave of coti was a great shave and the other side with crox was still as good it would be very hard to say if there was an improvemant. i also so tryed previously with my issards paste which never fails and i got the same results. So i do think it can vary from razor to razor but so long as any one is passing hht 4/5 on medium to thin hair you will always get a very good shave .

as i finished the last post i thought i will do another 10 laps on issards then linen /leather and just see if i can improve hht on the finest hair out of my pot and it did i would be modest and say 4/5 on very fine hair which i have achieved of coti on other razors but not this one. I then added 10 laps on my livi loom crox which is a joy to strop on i then stropped linen leather hht still as good but i like to go issards which is rated 2micron and then crox which is aprox 50/60,000. i will compare the shave next time it may not be any differant as it was good before i'm hping for extra extra smooth then again it could now be a little harsh than i like but hht is how i like it i'll be back with results

No pastes for me (if I can avoid it). I get a lot of satisfaction out of avoiding them... I know it doesn't matter, but that's just my weird way :)

I no exactly where your coming from paul i get the up most satisfaction from the coti and not having to use paste to improve as i feel this means my honing of the coticule is'nt up to scratch. Despite what i have said in my post all my razors do passhht very well mostlto extremly well depending on the texture of hair i'm using for example my leg and stomach hair always pass and the shaves are great. Now from my pot of hair cuttings i have medium to baby fine hairs i like to pass on baby fine hairs if possible now this i have achieved after stropping and somtimes not and to achieve this i have had to use crox and or just issards paste.

It's all trial and error a year or two ago i could'nt passs hht of coti on thick hairs never mind baaby fine hairs so now i no it can be done thats what i aim for

Back