ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Found a great way to make crazy lather!

mrmaroon

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I did and it works amazing! I was testing out my new ROMO blade and was using proraso shaving soap. I had a bottle of corn huskers lotion and decided to add a dolop of that into the bowl. BAM! Instant super-duper lather :thumbup: It had a lot more lubricity as well, that is my main gripe with proraso soap - the cream does better. Give this a try if you have it available, I think a big bottle of it is around 4$ at most stores in the US.

I think the ingredient involved here is glycerine. It is what is recommended for super-lather on the SRP wiki. The ingredients also closely match trumpers skin food.

mrmaroon said:
I think the ingredient involved here is glycerine. It is what is recommended for super-lather on the SRP wiki. The ingredients also closely match trumpers skin food.
Yes, glycerine is the answer.
Add a teaspoon to your soap & cream in the bowl & it really enhances it.

I don't want to sound obtrusive here, as I have no experience with adding glycerin to a lather, but why haven't shaving cream manufacturers thought of that? Or have they?

Just a genuine question.

Kind regards,
Bart.

A teaspoon is much too much. 3-5 drops should suffice. That said, I personally think Überlather to be überrated. If you have a decent kit, you simply will not need it. Additionally, glycerin has the potential to really dry out your skin, which is why I try to steer clear of it, unless the manufacturer has already counterbalanced the dehydrating effect with other ingredients (a good example being the creams produced by CarrieM, also of SRP fame).

One thing I found that really, really makes a difference is a good brush. I have always been a great fan of Thäter brushes. If you are in the EU, The Different Scent is a great resource. And they recently became available in the US as well - seriously good value for money, quite a different league from any other brush from a value-for-money perspective. The image below is a middle-of-the-road soap after 80 swirls with a 28mm Thäter:

I vote for a thorough review of that Thäter. :)
Or at least a link to one...

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well, I could copy and paste the one from SRP here, but I personally hate it when people do that. So, here is the link. All I can say is, that brush is serious fun. Soaps, creams - doesn't matter. Lots and lots of lather, too. But still extremely precise; check the tip of the knot - it will let you draw contours around (in my case) sideburns (or moustaches, or whatever) despite the massive size of that brush.

Yes, I'm a bit in love with it. :love:

I agree with the gentlemen above. If I need to add something to my lathering products in order to achieve the desired effect, I'd prefer to just get better products. :)

Bart said:
I don't want to sound obtrusive here, as I have no experience with adding glycerin to a lather, but why haven't shaving cream manufacturers thought of that? Or have they?

Just a genuine question.

Kind regards,
Bart.
There is Glycerine in most soap& creams, more or less.
But something seems to happen when added pure afterwards.

For me it really improves glycerine/palm soaps, more staying power and more glide.
But like someone said, if you have a good (TALLOW ;) )soap or cream, you don't really need it.

im perfectly fine with the lather I get without adding stuff. It just struck me that I should add in something to get a better end result then both by themselves. You have to go VERY LIGHT with the stuff, or else you just end up having corn huskers with bubbles. The resulting glide it provides is similar to shaving oils (well, the one I did try), but it is integrated into the soap. Corn Huskers and Trumpers skin food are pretty much the same thing besides smell. I would pick corn huskers scent over trumpers any day:thumbup: . Its a lot cheaper too.

Back