ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Frivolity from the Beau Brummel 5/8 Full Hollow restoration thread

torbenbp

:) Entirely for your pleasure Robin,I made this:

I pondered about the design for several months,as it should be original though according to old traditions.The scales and pinning material were carefully chosen from well known materials,mostly environmently friendly and recycled materials.

I`m quite happy about the result and if anyone is interrested the price tag says 380 USD.
Quite a bargain,ehhh?

283945_2163345957515_1062591690_2607579_6892658_n.jpg

281475_2163346317524_1062591690_2607581_2113796_n.jpg

282490_2163346117519_1062591690_2607580_3487286_n.jpg

:scared: :| :lol: :D
Torbs

Thanks Paul,I think it turned out rather nicely.
Torbs

PS:The price is lowered to a mere 250USD.
Torbs

Great job Torbs! Do you accept commissions ?
I'd like you to rescale my Puma 89 in this type of scales! I'm tired of those boring black plastic scales.

Torben,
I would like to offer 300 USD if you sell it right now.
You have made a good point and made it well.

Joe

"".....witnessed by the three pin scales, silver inlays, and dandy (some would say toff) design.""

As a toffee nose.. I shall have you know that I resemble that statement! "Squirt guns or lemon pies at dawn" I say!
~Richard

Torben,
I would like to offer 300 USD if you sell it right now

I`m terribly sorry, but because of the huge interrest in this type of scales,the price has now gone up to 500 USD. I still think it`s a very fair price though.

Kindly
Torbs
;)

torbenbp said:
Torben,
I would like to offer 300 USD if you sell it right now

I`m terribly sorry, but because of the huge interrest in this type of scales,the price has now gone up to 500 USD. I still think it`s a very fair price though.

Kindly
Torbs
;)
[warn]torben may I inform you that selling things outside of the marketplace is prohibited.[/warn]:lol:

cheers
Stijn

Gentlemen as funny as this is, and in the light hearted manner I am sure it is in, I have moved this part of the thread to the appropriate area :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Its all good ;) but remember you cant sell that gorgeous creation of yours outside the market place :p hahaha

Ralfson

As good as this baby looks, Torbs, I have my doubts about the use of bamboo and it being original. Unless you provide undoubtful, historic evidence that the old craftsman and masters of razor making did in fact consider such material I personally lean towards the humble yet dedicated opinion that this razor - despite its sheer beauty and ancient appearance - is yet another marketing driven mock-up with nothing else in mind but fooling us poor razor-maniacs into another hype, resulting in prices far beyond reason. Or to put it in other words: 250 bucks and no cent more!

Respectfully
BlueDun

BlueDun said:
As good as this baby looks.......

That did it for me! Bwhahahaha hahahaha hahaha lol

Of course what our vendormeister friend Sir Torbs of the Fjords is not disclosing, is that in fact this rare artifact has been honed to perfection on his one of a kind Cotithuriestcherton 100,000 grit (est) palm stone, surely that can only help promote a premium price?

Ralfson

Edit: "Fjords" Denmark Finland Sweden, lets not split hairs eh? lol

Kind gents

An excample :http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-ROCHESTER-STRAIGHT-RAZOR-bamboo-bone-handle-NR-/110400416202 Frequently seen on different sites,though not as delicatly crafted as mine.

And Sir Ralfy,you are completely wrong. As I`m completely surrounded by a Fjord - I live on an Island- this is what I use for honing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoClay .

This particular type of clay is only found in this area. It`s honing properties are yet to be discovered. Btw. I sell that too...for a very reasonable price of 200 USD pr.kilo plus p&p.

Actually I have an entire product range in mind. Pictures will follow soon.

PS. 250 USD is out of the question. I`ve spend quite some time with the design,getting the curvature right,finding the right materials for pinning etc. Sorry..

Torbs

Torbs, you are my God!
And with that bullet-proof historic evidence you provided there's nothing more left for me as to humbly and utterly apologize. I am not worthy to lick the dust from your shoe soles

As this now changes everything I will raise my bid for this jewel. I am willing to offer you my most precious hone for trade. This is the legendary Heidi-Hone. My Grand-grand father personally dug it up from deep inside one of the highest peaks in the Swiss Alps. It's one of a kind. Its finishing performance is so stunning that a razor off that hone will actually split air molecules and produce ozone while shaving.

Brot_oder_stein.jpg

I'll PM you my address and we can go from there.

In deep closeness
BlueDun

Assuredly, Torbs, I, having been bedazzled by the supreme quality of your reconstruction' it would seem to me that the offer of BlueDun should be given all the careful consideration which it merits.
BlueDun said:
snip..It's one of a kind. Its finishing performance is so stunning that a razor off that hone will actually split air molecules and produce ozone while shaving.
And... what was only passed secretly to succeeding generations of his family.. The hone was only used in the kitchen of the home. Assuring that the stove was almost warm, honing was accomplished by laying the stone upon its flat surface and honing whilst singing the American refrain.."Hone, hone, on the Range."
Ir-respectfully
~Richard

As this now changes everything I will raise my bid for this jewel. I am willing to offer you my most precious hone for trade. This is the legendary Heidi-Hone. My Grand-grand father personally dug it up from deep inside one of the highest peaks in the Swiss Alps. It's one of a kind. Its finishing performance is so stunning that a razor off that hone will actually split air molecules and produce ozone while shaving.

I thank you very much for your interreset,however I must unfortunately decline as any kind off nuclear power or atom splitting is prohibited in Denmark. As my family would very much dislike being attacked by fully dressed Swap teams and scientists in white full body dresses,it`s not a chance worth taking.However I would like to send a razor for honing and further evalutation.

As I have gone further into exploring the honing capabilities of the Moclay ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MoClay ) I`m most happy to say the results a very good indeed. Selecting the right layer is a real paine though as the structure of the abbrasive particles varies from 1-200 φ.

But my troubles have been rewarded! After extensive experiments a recipe is found. The slap of moclay must be soaked in 41,57 C hot water for 9,5 minnutes. This leaves the surface nice,mellow and clayish. Now we`re left with two options: Either backhoning or the really delicate process of "edge sinking". The later one means gently pressing the very edge of the razor one mm into the surface off the clay. Do nothing more,but wait and obesrve for 7,4 minnuttes. If all works out as planned,the diatomitic sediment will awake from it`s hybernation.

And believe me,after 55 million years of hybernation theese little buggers are hungry! They rapidly eat away the edge but also leave a splendid new edge,completely unlike anything experienced before. The edges are mellow yet exceptionally sharp and forgiving. This ends all future talk about coticule edges as theese edges are without comparision the best ever.

Though a word of warning: You must watch the natural process off auto honing very closely...
This one auto honed for 8,1 minutte,great edge,no need for stropping:
281254_2167640664880_1062591690_2614286_7500749_n.jpg

Later on in the experiment,it was most unfortunatelly left overnight:
267604_2167646905036_1062591690_2614298_4937162_n.jpg

Some highly agressive little bastards,so watch out!

In the continuation of my product range I also offer:
Blade polishing :
267924_2167647425049_1062591690_2614300_6824351_n.jpg

Fancy spinework:
284619_2167647785058_1062591690_2614301_63998_n.jpg

Blade shortening or custom tip:
281424_2167648185068_1062591690_2614302_3158136_n.jpg

Or for the odd razor that should look vintage and used: Blade splitting followed by honing on Moclay:
270359_2167648545077_1062591690_2614303_4559919_n.jpg

Gents,you will hopefully visit my upcoming site : www.thisisajokebutitaintthatfarfromreality.com

Kindly
Torbs

Back