ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Garnets - Close Up

towliff

I have the Transmission Electron Microscope booked for tomorrow, so will hopefully have some good images of the garnets from my La Nouvelle Vein #29 in the vault. I dont know the vein of the slurry stone I used, which the slurry will contain, so it will be more of a mixture than pure la nouvelle vein.

If this goes well, I will try the BBW layer from #29 next time, and compare the garnets.

Ill post the images here when I have them.

Regards,

James

James,

Would you have some kind of a diamond hone to extract unmixed slurry? Just an idea!

towliff said:
I have the Transmission Electron Microscope booked for tomorrow, so will hopefully have some good images of the garnets from my La Nouvelle Vein #29 in the vault. I dont know the vein of the slurry stone I used, which the slurry will contain, so it will be more of a mixture than pure la nouvelle vein.

If this goes well, I will try the BBW layer from #29 next time, and compare the garnets.

Ill post the images here when I have them.

Regards,

James
Why are you still standing there?... let' see those scans.:w00t:

Smythe said:
Why are you still standing there?... let' see those scans.:w00t:

Youll have to calm down my friend :lol: They will arrive tomorrow.

Lets hope it goes well :thumbup:

vgeorge said:
James,

Would you have some kind of a diamond hone to extract unmixed slurry? Just an idea!

Ahh good shout! I have a DMT 325 grit (which I recently bought and found that the abrasive quality drastically diminished after sharpening a hard old kitchen knife for quite some time :-/ )

Ill give it a go and see if theres a difference.

James

towliff said:
Ahh good shout! I have a DMT 325 grit (which I recently bought and found that the abrasive quality drastically diminished after sharpening a hard old kitchen knife for quite some time :-/ )

Ill give it a go and see if theres a difference.

James

James, I am pretty sure even a very weak DMT-X will yield slurry from the coticule easy. Good luck.

[c]All tuned in:[/c]
[img=840]http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/import-tmbq/ByyDlAbtDAfefHcCvuylxnliipoCcqizFIpblpnzabxmeaiegcokJglAcgku/media_httpwwwcentralmediasystemscomimagesTelevisionSetgif_AnlsvFGnrAClxsD.gif.scaled1000.gif[/img]

Those aren't even useful in this country anymore. The country is obsessed with digital TV.

So?? It's the day after! :sneaky:

The crowd demands the photos!

[c]
TEM.jpg
[/c]

cheers,
Matt

WOW! You guys are in for quite a suprise.

But, you can taste the sweet anticipation for a little longer while I go out for a meal with some friends :lol:

Muhhahahahaha

towliff said:
WOW! You guys are in for quite a suprise.

But, you can taste the sweet anticipation for a little longer while I go out for a meal with some friends :lol:

Muhhahahahaha
booo.jpg

Right, first I would like to say I watched monty python for the first time ever today - The meaning of life. What a film!!! Amazing.

Back to business (thats a hard word to spell after a bottle of wine or two).

As for the Garnets;

Method.
1. Rinsed slurry stone and main coticule with deionised water.
2. Rubbed coticule with slurry stone to raise a thick slurry.
3. Why doesn't your dictionary recognise coticule as a real word, after all, it is a COTICULE website?
4. Slowly rinsed hone with deionised water, and collected the 'run off' in a glass container.
5. Using a pipette, I administered 10ul (microlitres) to a copper grid for TEM observation.
6. I diluted a small amount of the sample slurry 4 times (1 part coticule slurry solution, 3 parts water) and made another copper grid with 10ul.
7. Took copper grids to TEM and imaged.

TEM used is Tecnai 12, Spirit.

As you are aware, and according to the Ardennes website, coticule garnets 'are football shaped and 5-20 microns in diameter (micrometers).'

My images have scale bars in nanometers AND some in micrometers. For those who do not study science/mathematics, 1 micrometer = 1000 nanometers (1um = 1nm). I am using u instead of the greek letter mu for micrometer.

My observations do not agree with those viewed by ardennes coticule

This however, does not mean I am correct, or Ardennes incorrect, and will need some more investigation to provide conclusive evidence. I shall repeat this experiment again, next time using a DMT 325 grit to create the slurry, on both #29 coticule and blue side.

I have observed particles of varying shape from almost spherical, to square, and with all manners of shapes inbetween. The size of these particle have varied between 0.3um (micrometer) and 9um in diameter (please bear in mind these are cross sectional lengths rather than 'diameter' as most particles aren't spherical).

Please view the images to confirm my conclusions.

I did not notice any discernable difference between the standard sample and the diluted sample, allbeit slightly less particles observable in the diluted sample.

Enough of the scientific talk, enjoy the pics!!

James
http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/ae66/james_towle2000/Coticule Slurry TEM observations/

Coticule slurry 1 shows an image zoomed out (showing more of the grids, hence more particles)
Coticule slurry 2 shows a closer image in a different region, showing large AND smaller particles
Coticule slurry 3 shows a zoomed in image of the smaller particles in slurry 2. (apologies for no scale bar on 2 and 3, I was unaware that the scale was not being burnt onto the image).
Coticule slurry 4 and 5 shows fairly zoomed out images (with scale bars) showing the size and shape of particles.
Coticule slurry 6 shows a zoomed out image with sizes superimposed onto a few particles
Coticule slurry 7 shows some garnets up close
Coticule slurry 8 shows the same garnets in 7, closer.
Coticule slurry 9 shows the same as 8, but with measurements.
Coticule slurry 10 shows some more garnets with measurements.

Please note the pics are backwards in the album - 10 to 1.

Nice! Thanks James.
What a surprising array of shapes and sizes.
I had it in my mind that the garnets would show a classic gem shape with different planes.
Now if I could just find away to relate to the sizes.
I find maginified images just fascinating, though the information I can actually extract from them is of a very limited degree.

(tiny critisism: It seems that photobucket has mixed up the order. They are always doing that to me.:sneaky: )

Absolutely fascinating stuff James - thanks a lot for conducting this experiment :thumbup:
Food for thought ...

Fantastic work, kudos, James! :thumbup:

What actually has immediately caught my attention, is that those suckers don't look like like garnets at all. I mean, we don't see any trace of the shapes we expected to see (nice Java applet, read the "About Crystal Atlas" info!), rather flakes! Maybe these are structures made of multiple regular parts, forming irregular shape altogether.

Wikipedia said:
Garnets do not show cleavage, so when they fracture under stress, sharp irregular pieces are formed.

(No, we're not talking of this kind of cleavages :))
[c][img=190]http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2010/11/scarlett-johansson-cleavage.jpg[/img][/c]
Stellar stuff, amazing. Big thanks! BTW, how come you've never seen "The meaning of life" before? You don't mean that, being a Brit, you've never seen Monty Python, do you? :blink: :blink: :blink:

regards,
Matt

coticuleslurry4.jpg

We'll have to figure out what we're looking at. Steve Feldman could probably enlighten us here, but I 'm not sure he's still monitoring this website / prepared to post.
Many of these particles are micas, most of them too soft to take much part in the abrasion of steel. But there should be some garnets as well (which layer did you sample? they don't all have equal garnet content). Garnets are, to an extent, translucent (mostly with an orange hue), so I think we must search within the lighter gray particles. This is merely speculation, because I have no idea how transparency for light translates to transparency for an electron beam.:confused:
Please check the picture on page 5 of this document: http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/journals.old/mineral/mineral39/tcm-154739-6.pdf
I'm not sure this is exactly the same TEM technology, but if so, we are looking for light gray particles. In the upper right corner of the picture I linked (thanks James, this is awesome!), we see a few candidates. Also note that we are looking for more or less dodecahedron shaped structures. A dodecahedron is composed with pentagons, there is one in the picture that fits perfectly.

kind regards,
Bart

You need to let Chris borrow, and probably break, your microscope. Wonder what the postage would be.

Bottom left of big picture and the left side of the piece of fragment in the middle of this cropped pic is a garnet sticking out .
coticuleslurry4-1.jpg

James, thanks very much for posting these. But worried :-/ about what is binding material and what are garnets!

Journeys start with a first step. Thanks for the giant leap.

Back