ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gary Haywood's arsenal

pedalpowersailing

I took these pics whilst Gary and I were having a "sharp in"

The lighting conditions were not so good so the pics are not the best

I am sure that he/we could send individual shots if you were interested

Gary will name/describe them seperately

PS I particularly like the hybrid

Lovely collection Gary. Are you 8th or 9th degree black belt now?

I recognize that Les Lat from the video.

thanxs Tim:thumbup:
top picture , top row.
150x40mm la vainette, this stone delivers fantasticly smooth edges, that are plenty keen. fairly fast on slurry, and not bad on water. i love this stone

second one to the right is a la grosse jaune, la grosse blanch, la verte that how own dennis gave me.
next one is a la drassante au blue, 200x 40 mm la patite blanch, famous hybrid 200x60mm, la drassante bout, vintage bbw/coti this one is also fast on slurry, matching slurry stone and la patite blanch, on slate .

te la grosse jaune was the coticule i got my first magical shave on, very smooth edge , not a fast hone on slurry, nor water, but works very well, especily as a finisher and ideal for warped blades etc.
the hybride delivers very keen edges, and was the easiest coticule for me, since athew more have become just as easy.

regards gary

what i will be doing is honing the same razor on every one of my coticules. i will shave with that same razor honed on a certain coticule, for one week. i will post how the shave feels. i've never compared the hones in my collection. There is alot of talk about differant layers, and how they are suposter vary, in giving melow to brisk and enaging edges. so i thought i would conduct my own test. this will be good for me and quite interesting, as i never got to test side by side.

thnxs gary

first up is my vintage bbw/coti? If you look at the top picture, it is the coticule on the bottom row, in the 4th position. So bottom row 4th to the right.

A very impressive collection indeed!

And even more impressive is the fact that the owner knows how to get the most from each and every one of them. The Les Latneuses is simply stunning!

garyhaywood said:
what i will be doing is honing the same razor on every one of my coticules. i will shave with that same razor honed on a certain coticule, for one week. i will post how the shave feels. i've never compared the hones in my collection. There is alot of talk about differant layers, and how they are suposter vary, in giving melow to brisk and enaging edges. so i thought i would conduct my own test. this will be good for me and quite interesting, as i never got to test side by side.

thnxs gary

first up is my vintage bbw/coti? If you look at the top picture, it is the coticule on the bottom row, in the 4th position. So bottom row 4th to the right.

i thought i would post results of my first shave of the vintage bbw/coti. as it would take to many weeks if i did it week by week.

the vintage coticule worked just the same as my currant non vintage coticules, recently mined ones.
This stone is reay nice to work on, works very well on slurry and water. the stone has a super smooth glassy feel. i did the usaul dilucot, and after finishing on just 50 laps on water the hht was good and after stropping as good as it gets.

the shave was plenty keen and nice a and smooth. i would say this qulifys as a typical coticule edge.
smooth and forgiving. all thoug the stone is vintage , i don't no what layer it would be from, but it cuts and seems very similar to la vainette. the edge is not as mellow as my LV. very nice stone .
next up will be my la grosse jaune? Top row 2nd to the right, the long thinner stone, nu 21 in the vault, i'm expecting this one to be extra smooth.

shave with the la grosse jaune was literaly the same as vintage , still nice and smooth skin after in nice condition, all though i think i should rest my skin for a couple of days . next up is my la groose blanche. top row third to right triangular shaped bout. so far very little differane in shave qulity from the two i have tryed and previous edges , i'm expecting the la grosse blanch to have a nice dull fel as i'm shaving

gary

awesome collection! in the top photo, second row, second from the left, what is that stone? I have a small bout that has that coloration on the bottom of it. Is that useable for honing? the bout is a les lat I believe.

thanks

Mark

yes it is, that side has been very easy to reach good keeess, laps it and rub your slurry stone on it, and you will see, it works extremly well, i have honed lots of razors on that side.
its one that i would never sell and beleive me i have many offers.

gary

wow Gary, thanks for getting back to me so quick. Mine is a very small bout I got as a slurry stone( it's the bottoms ide of a les lat slurry) and I played with it this morning and it indeed brought up the edge very quickly. It's small but I can still use it.

Does this type of stone have a name?

thanks again
Mark

we no that side as the hybrid, mine is joined to another top side coticule, called leslat, mine is in the vault nu 54 you can read about the way it works there

results of my la grosse blanch. i was sold this hone 2 weeks ago, my good mate blacktan put me on to it, thanxs bill.

i asked why he was selling this stone? he replyed he had not much look with it, and preferd his hybrid, fairenough i thought.

i have had good results so far. the shave today on the same razor was absalutley superb, extra smooth and boy so mellow , yet keen enough. now this may well could be down to the honing being spot on. the ht was as good as the other coti's , just this edge absalutley suited my skin, it was gainst the grain i found this razors edge og lgb to feel flawless, leaving no alum block sting and thats good for me as my skin is sensative under my chin. I even did two pases against the grain, no problems. the differance in keness was the same the feel in smootness was the same as most coti's that i have been succesful with. the differance was the tame ness, the edge felt more tame as in mellow which is my favourite edge . the la vainette equls this also they are very similar . i'm quite shocked as i read many post wher keness seems to be lacking with the more mellow edges, i have found no differance. this edge is staying and i won't be rehoning, at this mo in time.

on the whole the differances are dependant on the honing, and i do believe some cotis can have that bit more mellowness, and have a real dull feel, while shaving, where as other fel that bit sharper still quite dull, so hard to describe for me. i also tryed lgb with a dovo using unicot, and the shave was identical to the dilucot, i think its worth using unicot edges to get a feel of the coticule edge, if your struggling with dilucot. i acatuly like the unicot edges as much..
gary

That's a great post, Gary.

Unicot is the surest way I know to "set the mark" on a new and unknown Coticule.:thumbup:

Bart.

Gary

Just to let you know, I am doing my own coticule experiment, taking one blade and using my different coticules on it each day to see what the edges are like. I bought more than a few cheap Russian blades on ebay for my honing experiments. Yesterday's shave coming off of a La Vert gave me a score of 85% out of 100. Decent but not great.

After seeing what a little gem I had in my les lats/hybrid slurry stone I decided to give it a try for todays shave. I made a very light slurry on the hybrid side and started there doing little passes.diluting as I went and then X strokes until it seemed to be getting less keen instead of more.

then I went over to the Les lat side with just water or 20-30 X stroke passes. No strop afterwards. It was popping arm hairs like crazy when I put the blade away and today's shave was simply amazing! I NEVER thought I could get an edge like that on any blade, let alone on this ebay beauty!

I now know what you all are talking about when you refer to the coticule edge. It felt like it couldn't cut my skin but the hairs just fell off! crazy.

thank you much.

PS I bought a larger les lat hybrid coti bout last night as well as a les lat combo slurry stone. I hve some serious CAD going on ( coticule acquisition disorder ,lol).

thank you all for the incredible amount of detailed information on this site, it is truly amazing.

you car't beat it when you get the shave that did'nt think was possable. Especilay of the coticule, as you read lots of plusers and also minus's. i don't think the coticule edge will ever be the sharpest in the world , and every one likes differant. One thing i can say is there is no hone that leaves an edge feeling as dull as abutter knife yet removes stubble so nice, with out taking a layer of skin away. thats what a coticule is renowed for. thats why i love these stones and always have .

don't forget if you only hit 85 percent, unicot the edge on same stone. this way you will get 100 percent, and you can see what that stone is capable of, in terms of feel. you can always go back and do another dilucot, and try and match the unicot edge .

gary will do.I am going to dull another of the russians and use the dilucot to see if I can get it shave ready from just the coti. I never got the difference between a "sharp" edge that cuts both skin and hair and these that mainly cut hair and spare the skin.

Back