ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gary Shaves Himself

Deckard

I know that following the Mr Liam shaving video a few (including myself) requested a self shave video from Gary. Well here it is, I know I've picked up a few pointers.

[video]eqCgaw5ioAk[/video]

Joe :thumbup:

Hey, that's all about the razor! hahaha
Seriously, this absolutely top notch, chaps. I think I will set this as a home page and watch it every day. :lol:

I can't believe the ease with which you go ATG, Gary. And that with hardly any stretching! Since I have never shaved any other growth than mine, I have a question - have you ever had a customer, where the razor would just stall during an ATG pass? I'm just ever wondering, whether it's the technique, prep, or what. No matter how much time I spend with lather on my face, no matter how much I try to squeeze everything out during honing - the stubble keeps on resisting so hard, that if I don't stretch enough, the skin will, errm, bend, fold, well move along with the razor, I hope you get it. I could never do such long strokes as you did there. I am working on reducing pressure, that seems to help things a little, though.

cheers,
Matt

matt i had the same problem. I'll give you this tip, so just try it, i gave the same tip to joe, he said the differance was night and day. Watch my angle ATGrain. You will notice my razor is flat, no angle at all. the spine is touching my skin. try flat as a pankake angle against the grain. Once you get and fel the razor is cutting nice, just follow throughusing your thumb as i do to just hold skin where it is.

gary

I've been trying it dead flat, for quite a while... :blink: It makes it a bit easier, but definitely far from what you display here.

Now I feel like I were handicapped or something. ;) I'll keep trying, thanks heaps, Gary. A box fan, BTW? :thumbup:

cheers,
Matt

yes mate i like mahamed ali. Thats one thing with a straight . you can get a great shave with and across, and yet atg can let you down a tadge. thats the only grey area.many times i have the same problem, and i have to admit i have used ti paste , and it just did the trick.

gary

btw the soap was klarr cabbinette soap, that bill (black tan ) sent me as a gift. it has become my favourite soap. I will be using this soap for ever. my second best soap is mwfs. the razor was a brandnew 5/8 dovo bergisher not sure how you spell that. all i did to the factory edge was hit the the ti paste for 20 laps and it was fine. When its in need a of afull hone job, i will use coticule. I had two and a half days of fairly thick stubble .

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to use that tip you gave for the lower lip. I'm always trying to stretch it in inside my mouth, and never get that good of a result. As I think about it now, whenever I shave with a DE safety razor, I always have my lower lip relaxed, and it always results in a better shave.

Thank you so much for uploading this, the camera angles, explanations, shaving angles/strokes, and also the sound of a sharp razor will definitely help myself immensely in using a straight + coticule to shave.:thumbup:

shane

Another great video, Gary and Joe. Thank you for taking the time to record and post. :thumbup:

Cheers, Jeremy

well i have wanted to do this for some time, but i had no camcorder, then joe came to see me, and he brought along his camcorder.

I hope it helps others. maybe we will see some vids in the future from oter mebers.
gary

Thanks everyone for kind remarks, I think the talent that is Gary's makes all the difference.
I'm only glad to do my bit to help get the info out to members.
Quite surprised How it turned out if I'm honest, I'm not really into making video.

Thanks
Joe

Great work Chaps, and very inspirational, I can honestly say that as soon as I get time I will have a go at making a video of my own

Thank you for taking the time, I wish I could have been there with you

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

A hearty thank you to Gary and Joe for yet another great tutorial..

I don't know if Gary is aware, but he has been a tremendous help to me, not only in my coticule endeavors, but in perfecting my actual shave technique also. This latest video just adds to that..

I hold a flat angle also for my XTG work, but not down on the spine. Now I have another trick to try thanks to Gary's inspiration...

I can't wait to see Sir Ralfy's video, as he has also been a formidable mentor for my good self!

Great video, I'm sure it's going to help me to shave even better, thanks!

Again, it's stellar, thank you both!!

I won't be bothering y'all with the details, but yesterday I had the most comfortable (and yes, smooth too) shave ever! :thumbup:

best regards,
Matt

Back