ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

GETTING SHED OF TAPE

DJKELLY said:
Recognize the blade, Urmas? Probably not in the awful pic, but thanks just the same.

Hi Denny,

I'm also don't like a tape so much. The using of paper clips was very creative idea though. I have to try this.
Btw. this razor has Polish origin.

Best regards,
Urmas

By the way, Dennis, are those your paws in the picture? That might explain your trouble focusing. :lol:

Yes, Jared, and you were as high on my list as was David. I could enumerate those I thought would zing me for the paws, but you know who you are, and so do I.

I had to nurse that cat (Thorn) for ten days at age 5 weeks with six meds a day. He and his brother slept on my neck, they were so sick with kennel cough. Spit all over me. 50/50 chance of survival but they both made it. The vet said with all the attention, if they survived, they would be totally imprinted on me, the Mama, and they are. Now nine and thriving, I can't move without them coming with me. They are indoor/outdoor cats with cat doors and they actually meet me at the car every time I come home, just like dogs. The one you have seen will fetch. His brother, Ridge, is half Maine Coon. Female cats have litters with more than one father.

Bachelors have to have something, I guess. The whole neighborhood know and love my "dogs".

At the risk of adding to a mundane topic, I have done a few more experiments with the paper clips. As I said in the early part of this thread, there are many different sizes of these clips. I am getting a Rolls Razor edge into condition, and it is not all that easy for me. I can get it sharp, but then it is very harsh. I tried the next size up paper clip and it fit perfectly on the spine of the Rolls. I did and Uni/Dilucot, or dilucot with the clip on and it was very efficient, but still not as smooth as I would like. I am using the razor without the guard and that might be part of the problem, but I am wondering if the steel is as good as regular Sheffield.

Another use I found for the paper clip is that you can use one in the center of the blade and then form a beautiful slight smile on the edge by varying the pressure from one edge to the other just like a rolling X stroke. I did this with the Rolls and then proceded to drop the damn thing on my tile countertop and gouge the corner or "toe".

In addition, it seems like you can use the larger clips that are thicker steel for a steeper angled bevel. Even though the "spine" of the clip does not match the spine of the razor, you can pivot the spine of the razor inside the paperclip and it will essentially raise the spine of the razor only the thickness of the steel in the clip.

Thanks for reading, your pal, Chris.

DJKELLY said:
At the risk of adding to a mundane topic, I have done a few more experiments with the paper clips. As I said in the early part of this thread, there are many different sizes of these clips. I am getting a Rolls Razor edge into condition, and it is not all that easy for me. I can get it sharp, but then it is very harsh. I tried the next size up paper clip and it fit perfectly on the spine of the Rolls. I did and Uni/Dilucot, or dilucot with the clip on and it was very efficient, but still not as smooth as I would like. I am using the razor without the guard and that might be part of the problem, but I am wondering if the steel is as good as regular Sheffield.

Another use I found for the paper clip is that you can use one in the center of the blade and then form a beautiful slight smile on the edge by varying the pressure from one edge to the other just like a rolling X stroke. I did this with the Rolls and then proceded to drop the damn thing on my tile countertop and gouge the corner or "toe".

In addition, it seems like you can use the larger clips that are thicker steel for a steeper angled bevel. Even though the "spine" of the clip does not match the spine of the razor, you can pivot the spine of the razor inside the paperclip and it will essentially raise the spine of the razor only the thickness of the steel in the clip.

Thanks for reading, your pal, Chris.

Pics of the cats or I'll still claim they're your paws.

Hmm! I'll be interested in how your Roll Razor honing goes. I've been able to get these blades to be sharp and comfy (mostly on my Jnats), but keeping them stropped using the Rolls strop is beyond me. The edges just don't seem to last very long.

I've changed the original Rolls strop for newer leather. I've tried leather with more draw, leather with less draw........pasted leather...........everything.

I usually hone these blades with 2 layers of tape on the spine, but I believe that the angle is steeper when the blade is in the Rolls stropper - thereby messing up the angle and destroying the edge over time. It sucks, as these razors shave really well when the edges on the blades are adequate.

Glad to hear that they shave well when well prepped. I removed the guard on the blade which exposes the pivot hole for the guard. As previously posted, I use a modified chop stick as a handle to flip the blade on both hone and strop. I don't mess with the body of the Rolls system, but rather hone and strop on other tools. With a little handle on the blade it is easy to strop on a piece of leather I take with me on trips. I can keep it sharp, but haven't found the right angles for comfort yet, but I'm getting much closer.

The sharpening/stropping system that is part of the original Rolls Razor system is very heavy for travel, is super clunky, and does a poor job as far as I have seen. YT, Denny

Yeah, I had excellent results honing the Rolls blades using circular strokes on my Asagi. JimR's technique in the 'Academy' works perfectly for the Rolls blade.

When I have a nice edge on the blade, I get excellent shaves with the Rolls razors. On par with my straights. In some ways, it's better than a straight, as it's so nimble.

I need to get a paddle strop, so I can strop off the Rolls system. It makes such a racket anyway, that I can't use it most days as I'd wake up my wife (or the baby, which would be almost as bad :lol: ).

Had an excellent shave this morning with a Rolls Razor stropped on a regular strop. I used a Q-tip as a handle to flip the blade around.

This blade was sharpened a long time ago, and the edge had been deteriorating slowly while stropping the Rolls system. I did no touch-ups, I just stropped on canvas and then on leather.

Result: Great shave. The edge could use some minor refining to get to peak performance. This may be obtained with more stropping, I guess. We'll see.

I can't recall exactly how this blade was honed but, judging by the look of the edge, it was probably honed on my Asagi (that's what I normally used for Rolls blades). I used 2 layers of tape on the spine. I'll probably re-hone it on a coticule with only one layer of tape - just to see how a coti performs with this blade.

I am on the road right now Yohan, and used the Rolls without the guard and I am definitely finding the sweet spot. I honed it with my Japanese natural (don't know an asagi from a Asahi) with a little larger paper clip on the spine. It let me set a slight smile to the edge by using a rolling X stroke. It was stropped on a six inch piece of leather with a little Mother's chrome polish applied. The shave was both effective and comfortable. If you remove the guard, you have to be careful, but it is really nothing more than using a straight. I like it better than any other non-straight system I have used, but still carry a DE (Thanks, Guys) for when I am in a hurry.

I was going to ask Robin if it is better to hone this thing on a Thurri or Jnat or Coti since it is a Sheffield, but I was afraid he would find me and kill me. You better know how to shoot, Robin, I do.

Not sincere at all, Denny

Beat a dead, at least boring horse.

I just put one, and only one, paper clip in the center of the razor that Urmas sent me as a surprise (Thanks, again, Urbo) and honed her up by a preferred method. With the clip in the center, and with the spine of the clip wider than the spine of the razor by 1 mm or so, every time I changed sides of the blade, I had to add the slightest pressure to the spine of the razor and it would rock "over-center" and click into position, giving me the added width of the steel in the paper clip and any unevenness in it. It marks with bright spots on the outside edges of the tiny paper clip on both sides so it is a little more than just the thickness of the steel.

With this set up I produced the most perfect slight smile you ever saw. I had to look lengthwise down the edge to see it, but it was obvious and very even. When the edge hit the stone it was very easy to see the super secret honing fluid ride up the blade, traversing its length as it made its rolling X stroke. Since this is basically a Unicot, it honed up really quickly and provided the advertised wonderful unicot edge.

Where's Chris when you need him.

Denny, at the end of one leg of an X-stroke - do you still have enough of the central clip on the hone so that the bevel angle remains fairly uniform throughout the bevel?

Do you understand what I am asking? Human language is so limited than vision.

This idea is very important. If you can create bevel independent of geometry, that will be perfect. Less shackles of geometry is still very much in the right direction.

vgeorge said:
Denny, at the end of one leg of an X-stroke - do you still have enough of the central clip on the hone so that the bevel angle remains fairly uniform throughout the bevel?

Do you understand what I am asking? Human language is so limited than vision.

This idea is very important. If you can create bevel independent of geometry, that will be perfect. Less shackles of geometry is still very much in the right direction.

I am on record favoring narrow hones, but not in this case. I used a wider one and there was no issue at all of the bevel or the paper clip leave the stone. It would be a little better if the paper clip was rounded so it would touch the hone only in one spot and pivot around that, but it is really easy to move the edge smoothly through the X stroke. Watch the slurry or water and you can make it move evenly across the length of the bevel.

Back