ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Getting some weird results

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

For some reason my skin has been very raw for the past couple of days. I've hone two razors using my DMT 1200 to set the bevel followed by a full dilution on the coticule. I made sure I was getting a good HHT right of the 1200 and then started on fairly heavy slurry on the coticule and went to town. For some reason I feel like the razor is just as sharp if not more sharp than when I do a full session on the coticule only, but the post-shave feeling I get is very different than normal. My skin is so sore and raw that I probably should not shave for a few days. (Unfortunately because of my work, it's not an option)

Any idea why I'm getting this all of a sudden?

thanks,

JF

Oh and I'm using the same soaps and prep as usual....I think I might have to go back to my cold water shaving method...

I would dull onglass after the DMT, you may have some microchipping going on, did you examine the edge through a scope? Also if you are using a thick slurry you will be dulling the edge, which completely defeats the point of setting the bevel first, I suggest using lighter slurry to start with and doing away with DMT

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Hi,

I thought about doing that, but I'm getting HHT-4 after stropping so I thought the blade would be ready to go. It seems very sharp, but just not as smooth as usual I guess.

Don´t trust the HHT. I once got a razor that was said to be honed up to a 3000 Naniwa. Great HHT. Of course, I didn´t shave with it. In fact, a little saw-like pattern improves the HHT, but surely not the smoothness. I´d dull on glass, too.

Regards,
Tok

Hi JF,

I've had a couple edges come through with the keenness dominating - and giving similar results. One was from the coti, the other was my first attempt at BBW last night. In both cases, I went overboard in the stropping. 200 linen, 2 or 300 shell. Bart & others claim no improvement beyond 60 strokes, and I don't doubt them. My experience has been different. In the coti finish with 200/300, Keenness was off the charts. The BBW wasn't off the charts (200/200), but much higher than a normal coti finish, and overshadowed the smoothness.

I have used a diamond plate for bevels also - and prefer them. I do go to normal coti slurry from there, and have had no issues. Perhaps with some very hard steels I may find I have the issue also. Experiencing any anomalies would make me want to look at he bevel under magnification.

I like the dmt1200 or Atoma for the quick bevel set, but think you have to be careful with it. Since it does give a high hht right off the plate, even after dulling on glass, there might be an issue of "teeth". As it is giving an hht immediately (teeth), when would it transition to the coticule hht without dulling and maybe it still has microteeth after using the down stroke on glass. It would surely seem to be a harsh shave right off the dmt, but I haven't tried it. I think I will, though, just to see.

I don't seem very cogent with this post, but I am saying you should do plenty of work on the coticule after setting the bevel on the diamond plate or not use it at all or you still might be dealing with micro teeth or chipping, just like the good Injector said.

Then, too, those that have used the dmt in the past all seem to transition to coticule slurry for the bevel set for the reasons of convenience and adjusting the slurry to the right consistency to start a dilucot. That says a lot.

Denny

Thanks guys! I will start from scratch on very heavy slurry so as to erase any marks left by the DMT 1200. I'll dilute the slurry and try to set the bevel on the coticule. Probably won't be a few days, but I'll let you guys know !

cheers,

JF

jfdupuis said:
Thanks guys! I will start from scratch on very heavy slurry so as to erase any marks left by the DMT 1200. I'll dilute the slurry and try to set the bevel on the coticule. Probably won't be a few days, but I'll let you guys know !

cheers,

JF

You don't need to use a heavy slurry, remember thick slurry dulls edges, and you won't see any benefit in speed, if it's been said once on this forum it's been said 100 times.

Just use a nice milky slurry, it will more than take care of those dmt marks, if you have set the bevel on the diamond plate then dulled on glass, it should only take you a few sets of 30 halfstrokes on your Coticule with slurry to bring the edge back to the AHT again, that is if your slurry is the right consistency of course.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Okay. Well except for the dulling on glass, that's exactly what I did the first time. The razor was giving really good HHT results of the DMT...then nothing after I started with slurry then back again at the end of my honing session.

Sounds like microchips to me JF, the HHT off the DMT will be stunning, however that's because of the chips that the diamond plate leaves on the edge, no HHT after starting on thick slurry, is a result of the slurry dulling the edge, and your improved HHT afterwards is because you have managed to pull the edge back during the dilution stages on the Coticule, I still think you will find more consistent results if you dull on glass and set the bevel again your Coticule with slurry

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

DJKELLY said:
It would surely seem to be a harsh shave right off the dmt, but I haven't tried it. I think I will, though, just to see.

Wow, interesting. Let us know how it feels. If it works, be careful, or people will tell you that not every DMT works the same, that the old ones are better and that it´s by no means a good way to start for a newbie.;)

Regards,
Tok

Tok said:
DJKELLY said:
It would surely seem to be a harsh shave right off the dmt, but I haven't tried it. I think I will, though, just to see.

Wow, interesting. Let us know how it feels. If it works, be careful, or people will tell you that not every DMT works the same, that the old ones are better and that it´s by no means a good way to start for a newbie.;)

Regards,
Tok

I have once done a blind shave test of 4 Double Arrows, honed by my comrade Chris. Once was honed on just the DMT-E.
Too my surprise the results were not half as bad as I expected. Here's an old thread about that experiment. Do note that there was a lot I didn't know back then. There were no halfstrokes, and I completely followed the adage that you weren't supposed to use anything but the lightest possible X-strokes. http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/advanced-honing-topics/23344-scratch-pattern-pictures.html

Bart.

Back