ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

getting there

geruchtemoaker

today i couldn't help(i'm in the exam period and was bored again) so I started all over honing a razor dulling on glass and unicot
well it was better than last time but still not as it should be

regards
Stijn

Hey Stijn,

Did you attempted a HHT, right off the Coticule (prior to stropping)?

Here's a suggestion: apply 2 layers of tape this time, and perform 40 light X-strokes on water only. That will take you less than 3 minutes.
Please do try the HHT, straight off a Coticule it really is a reliable indicator, and it gives me an idea about where you're at with your honing. It's important to use a thick hair that has no natural grease on it (so I must be freshly washed when harvested).

Kind regards,
Bart.

no I didn't
now i have tried the thing with the 2 layers of tape and did one afterwards and i would say a HHT 1

cheers
Stijn

From my experience as a beginner I can tell you, that I had a tendency to make slurry too thick. With thick slurry it's not possible to get satisfactory results. Even if it is really milky, not at all like cream, same viscosity as water - this is very far from what you need to finish the edge. Last stages are done on something that differs from clear water very little, if noticeably at all. Provided that you haven't skipped the dilutions somewhere earlier, this is the key, as I feel this - to dilute it to the very end and only after that finish on clean water. If it still doesn't get you where you want to be, tape the bastard, and your unicot edge is waiting behind the next corner. Hope this helps somehow, keep us up to date! :thumbup:

cheers,
Matt

matis said:
From my experience as a beginner I can tell you, that I had a tendency to make slurry too thick. With thick slurry it's not possible to get satisfactory results. Even if it is really milky, not at all like cream, same viscosity as water - this is very far from what you need to finish the edge. Last stages are done on something that differs from clear water very little, if noticeably at all. Provided that you haven't skipped the dilutions somewhere earlier, this is the key, as I feel this - to dilute it to the very end and only after that finish on clean water. If it still doesn't get you where you want to be, tape the bastard, and your unicot edge is waiting behind the next corner. Hope this helps somehow, keep us up to date! :thumbup:

cheers,
Matt
i am doing an unicot edge so i don't think it's from the diluting

grts
Stijn

Stijn, by the sounds of it I would say you are not setting the bevel corectly when you start the honing with half strokes, it absolutely must shave arm hair easily and both ways too, both against the growth and ideally with the growth, from that point the unicot is a relatively simple process

Hope this helps my friend.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Ralfy is probably correct. Unless you're doing weird things with your honing stroke (unlikely the case), the taped stages of Unicot can hardly be messed up and should give you HHT-3. (popping the hair at minimum 10mm of the holding point.
If it does not, there's something wrong with the bevel.

I would run it over a bottle one stroke, make sure it no longer shaves arm hair, and start all over with the Unicot procedure.
Please don't be discouraged. If the bevel was nearly good, that dulling stroke on glass sets you only back 2 or 3 minutes of work on slurry. Anything more, is work that needed to be done without the dulling stoke as well. But the dulling stroke makes it much easier to recognize when the bevel is ready. It must shave arm hair well.

Be very attentive that you keep the blade in good contact with the Coticule. Failing to do so, is often the reason why people don't get good honing results.

Once the edge starts shaving armhair, go to very thin slurry and spend enough time, till you're absolutely sure the edge has maxed out. And then some more. You can't overhone on a Coticule.
Only at that point, add electrical tape (tape thickness of 0.15 mm by the way) and make the Unicot effort.
DO NOT do more than 20 very light laps on almost translucent slurry. Rinse the razor and the Coticule very well. Next finish with 30 laps on water only. At that point, test with the HHT. If you think you need it, add another 30 on fresh water.

Most important of all: Enjoy the process.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.

tried again today but with the same results a HHT 2 for a moment I thought it was just me who couldn't perform a HHT so I pulled out my DOVO and there I got a HHT 4

and the weird thing is when I'm doing halfstrokes I get faster to schaving arm or leg hair WTG than ATG

I'm just keeping on trying dough stubborn as I am

regards
Stijn

Stijn,

Far be it for me to tell you what to do, but if I were in your shoes, I'd likely just try another 50 laps on water. If that didn't work, I'd do 50 more (taped of course). If I still didn't progress beyond HHT-2, I'd strop it up (60 linen/60 leather). I typically get 1 or 2 HHT level improvements from honing to stropping.

You'll get there. Like Bart said, don't get discouraged, the learning and breakthroughs are what make this journey so rewarding!

Cheers,

Paul

I know it's a long drive, but I like to repeat my invitation. You and your Coticule are more than welcome at my place, to see this through. In the end, it can possibly save you time figuring out what goes wrong.

HHT-2 is not bad though. You should be able to get that to a HHT-3 with a second layer of tape and 40 additional lightest laps on water.
I second Paul on stropping.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I would seriously consider that long drive to Bart's house. It'd be well worth it. In fact, I'm begging for a reason to fly over (Pilgrimage might not work though :cry: )

Bart said:
I know it's a long drive, but I like to repeat my invitation. You and your Coticule are more than welcome at my place, to see this through. In the end, it can possibly save you time figuring out what goes wrong.
well I would love to but I right in the middle of my exams
and after that almost straight to graspop

geruchtemoaker said:
Bart said:

Ah, Graspop, the heavymetal festival.
Dessel is about 45km from where I live. Maybe you could stop by when you return home.
I promise to speak loud enough.:lol:

Bon Chance with the exams.:thumbup:

Bart.

Bart said:
geruchtemoaker said:
Bart said:

Ah, Graspop, the heavymetal festival.
Dessel is about 45km from where I live. Maybe you could stop by when you return home.
I promise to speak loud enough.:lol:

Bon Chance with the exams.:thumbup:

Bart.
this defenatly sounds great
speaking loud enough shouldn't be a problem since I use ear plugs at festivals

tried again today since i've noticed how calming honing is(again an excuse to be busy with it during the exam period)
didn't succeed though
but stubborn as I am i keep trying
now back to my leffe

cheers
Stijn

Back