ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gillette Sterling Silver

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
I was in doubt a bit: shall I start a Sterling Silver Thread or an Engraved Set Thread. Figured one should not exclude the other, so start with Silver. Any other members have Engraved Gillette sets, please start a thread on them, I'll copy this post there :) Silver sets: please add to this thread.

Anyways.

What we have here is a beautiful sterling silver razor with rather unique handle. Head is serial# 737960B making it a 1926 New Improved, mostly resembling a Tuckaway.
Of this set, the head is silver-plated, with a spot on the bottom of the cap, whereas the handle, bladebank and case are hallmarked Sterling Silver. All silver parts were made and engraved by William B Kerr, who also made the Gillette Tiffany-sets. Kerr & Co were purchased by Gorham in 1906, and it *looks* like they ended using Kerr trademark/silvermarks in 1927. I need to do some more digging there.
Silver halmarks on this set are next to the hinge of the case, inside the cap of the bladebank, and above the engraved part of the handle.
Two things to notice: the case has no Gillette-branding whatsoever. All parts have room for initials to be engraved, yet there are none. That seems a bit strange for an engraved set (with a unique handle) knowing that engraved sets could only be ordered.
Maybe I'll get in a funny mood one day and get my own initials on this.

DSC07296.JPG
DSC07297.JPG
DSC07299.JPG
DSC07300.JPG
DSC07301.JPG
DSC07303.JPG
DSC07305.JPG
DSC07307.JPG
DSC07308.JPG
DSC07309.JPG
DSC07310.JPG
DSC07311.JPG
DSC07313.JPG
DSC07315.JPG

That is a truly wonderful set. Great info to go along with it. Yeah, it is begging for your initials. To imagine it could wait and travel through all this time to find you. Awesome kit!

Not anywhere nearly as fancy as a beautifully engraved Gillette set but since you said silver then I will include this….
Taxco Renya Mexico razor… this was the most mild razor I’ve ever used it almost doesn’t work :lol the seller warned me of this but it’s really just a collection piece unfortunately it came already engraved and it reminds me that it shaved “Just Bad” to go with the engraving But it is a Stirling silver razor and they have not made these on over 60 years I was told but cannot verify anywhere
IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

Not anywhere nearly as fancy as a beautifully engraved Gillette set but since you said silver then I will include this….
Taxco Renya Mexico razor… this was the most mild razor I’ve ever used it almost doesn’t work :lol the seller warned me of this but it’s really just a collection piece unfortunately it came already engraved and it reminds me that it shaved “Just Bad” to go with the engraving But it is a Stirling silver razor and they have not made these on over 60 years I was told but cannot verify anywhere
View attachment 37360
View attachment 37361
View attachment 37362
View attachment 37363
A little history here with this one I forgot to mention…. Lester Dequaine Was trying to open a shaving museum and had a collection of many different shave mugs and other shave memorabilia after his death his things were auctioned off and this came from that collection, that is something that I would attend, a shave museum!! I know some of our collections and collectors here have museum quality stuff so in a way reading these forums is almost like visiting an online museum daumenh!

Back