ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Gold dollar razors...

Well if you have to hone onto that stabilising ridge I would probably say you where getting into the realms of not being worth the trouble IMHO

Also I have quite a few beat up oldies, and once done up they are of course better than any GD IMHO again

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Tok said:
Smythe said:
That Wall... what I call the Hamburg Grind.

Why?:confused:

Regards,
Tok
I think it was American barbers who first came up with that nickname… and perhaps Hamburg Ring as well.

Before the Full Hollow Ground, most folks were accustomed to “Hollow Ground” razors (that is: razors ground with a small amount of hollow and were heavy and difficult to re-sharpen when the bevels became large).

The Hollow grinding machine was invented in Germany and when the Full Hollow Ground razors were introduced, no one had ever seen such a thinly ground blade with the characteristic “ridge” just behind the edge… the razors became extremely popular around the world because they were light, shaved well and very easy to maintain for the average consumer (and unlike the thick hollow ground blade mentioned earlier, the Full Hollow Ground blades never needed re-grinding).

I suspect most Americans at the time were more familiar with Hamburg than any other German city (and you know Americans will Nickname anything they love) so they simply called it Hamburg Grind.

Because many of these thinly ground blades also made a “ringing” sound it was also called the Hamburg Ring.

"Hamburg Ring" is still a brand name, owned by Giesen & Forsthoff. Allegedly, they do not know anything about the origin of the term.

Regards,
Robin

BeBerlin said:
"Hamburg Ring" is still a brand name, owned by Giesen & Forsthoff. Allegedly, they do not know anything about the origin of the term.

Regards,
Robin

My brain wants it to be a magical kind of doughnut (and no, not one involving meat).

By the way, there was a paste error with your link.

The Hamburg grind was just another method for grinding razors than what they used in Solingen. They even used different words to describe the parts for the blade. Different ways, similar results.

Repair grinding on a 1/1 blade can either be done by thinning out the lower parts of the ridge if it's (still) wide enough (which indicates a better one, grinding razors with a wide ridges takes more work), or by regrinding it to 1/2.

Thanks for the info. In fact, I have two razors which are made in Hamburg. Well, one of it has a Solingen stamp on it, too.

Regards,
Tok

Just some more sample data...
I bought three for about $15 each, shipping included. One was a #208 like the one pictured above with the fake graphite scales. I honed it and it shaves great. Just got lucky I guess.

The other two seem ok, but I haven't used them much so far.

I've actually had one for a while. a #208.
it came with quite a bit of hone-wear, which i thought was odd. but it's a a very thick razor, so it doesn't effect much.

Only reason i haven't done anything with it, is it's got a bump in the grind near the heel. like the edge is relatively straight until a heel, where there's a relatively significant bump in the grind. i cna't figure out what to do.

Im thinking about taping up the spine and taking it to the DMT D8C when i get it back.

My Gold Dollar, as dependable as any other razor in my rotation.

attachment.php

Back