ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Half X-Strokes on a smiling blade

If it's a slight smile I target a third at a time, that is place my finger on the heel, middle, and then toe, I do a rolling X for regular strokes
If it's a proper smiler I tend to do a rolling half stroke instead, as I don't feel the third at a time method is quite up to it for me

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I use both techniques. One of the advantages of "halfstrokes" over circles is that they allow a rolling curve, just like the rolling X-stroke.
A halfstroke is merely half of an X-stroke and one can translate every existing X-stroke variation to its halfstroke counterpart.

Kind regards,
Bart

Being fond of smiles, I do a fair amount of both strokes. My 1/2 strokes are slower so I can see that the water wave is riding at the tip and toe during that part of the stroke. The most difficult part has been to keep the 'role' part even enough so that a section isn't skipped over too fast. If the edge tests are spotty, I'll use circles in the underperforming sections to bring it up the the keenness of the better sections.

pinklather said:
The most difficult part has been to keep the 'role' part even enough so that a section isn't skipped over too fast.
I believe that statement is the key to successful rolling strokes, and often overlooked.

Kind regards,
Bart

pinklather said:
... The most difficult part has been to keep the 'role' part even enough ....

Please pardon my ignorance perhaps with the nomenclature, by "'role' part" do you mean the "rolling portion of the stroke" or something else?

Thanks!

Yes, I believe he meant "the rolling part of the stroke", or, if you wish, the "rocking" motion.

Danke. I still struggle with being consistent on my rolling X, so I will probably be lazy and do the Unicot for all smilers to minimize the number of strokes i'm doing.

slartibartfast said:
Danke. I still struggle with being consistent on my rolling X, so I will probably be lazy and do the Unicot for all smilers to minimize the number of strokes i'm doing.

Perfectly understandable, however not the best way to learn how to perfect your rolling stroke, or develop that all so important muscle memory

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I had one W&B wedge that I could not get the first 3/8" of the blade to bear against the stone until I added a 1/2" long layer of tape to the front of the spine.

Back