ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Help Please

tat2Ralfy

I have a stone that I bought thinking it might be a Charnley Forest, I am not convinced it is
it is slightly greener than the pictures show, very hard and feels glass like after being lapped with my dmt 1200 grit, with water on a razor that was Coticule honed I found it polished the bevel a little (at 60X mag) and the HHT was slightly better (from a 4 to a 4.5)
I will test shave tomorrow, in the meantime does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Many thanks and best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Dry:
Photo1912.jpg

Wet:
Photo1914.jpg

DJKELLY

I am certainly no xpert, Ralfy, but I have an Arkansas stone that looks exactly like yours. The color and size match very well. The measurements of mine are......(30 mins later)...when I find the pos I will let you know. Actually fine for what it is, but very difficult to locate. YYP, Denny

urmas

Hi Ralfy,

How much the pressure you ordinarily apply when you do honing on Charnley Forest. I have 2 of them but I never used them.

Regards,
Urmas

tat2Ralfy

urmas said:
Hi Ralfy,

How much the pressure you ordinarily apply when you do honing on Charnley Forest. I have 2 of them but I never used them.

Regards,
Urmas

I just use the weight of the blade as I would on a Coticule, 30-60 laps
I have tried water, lather and oil and there didnt seem any difference to me, very sharp but crisp edge, I think we are all spoiled with our forgiving Coticule edges...lol

I do know Denny has an interest in them, maybe you would consider sending each other a P.M? as 2 Charnley Forests are more than anyone needs...lol

In the meantime and back on track, any ideas on my stone above? I would love to be able to put a name to it

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

urmas

Thanks Ralfy,

I will try how my hones perform.... and I'm already answered to Denny's mail.

Regards,
Urmas