ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

HHT off Extra Hollow Singing razor

jfdupuis

Hey guys,

I was just honing up my 6/8 Extra Hollow razor there and sort of realized that it's basically impossible to get the "silent" HHT out of it? Do you guys see a different type of HHT reaction when you're using different grinds? ie. wedge vs. hollow..etc..

Cheers,

JF

I have the prima klang extra hollow singing blade. I find this blade hones up so easy and passes the hht of dilucot absalutly great and silent. I have found when razor passes HHT and makes a louder noise ie like clik its not normaly quite there. Whats the razor shaving like? I do no the noise your on a bout. I have experianced it many times, normaly with thicker hair.

Hey,

it's not super loud, but louder than my Solingen 5/8 SS razor for example. I might go back to the coticule with light slurry.

JF

It sounds like you are describing a HHT-4 to me. If that's the case, you can improve it with a good stropping session IME ;)

If it shaves i would'nt worry about it. The main thing is how the razor shaves.HHt 4 should shave fine. Does it sound differant when you use cr.ox? or is it the same.

We must not turn the HHT into a goal on itself.
As Garry mentioned: the important factor is how the razor shaves.
I attempted to make the HHT as objective as possible, by recommending absolutely clean hair from a constant source, with well aligned observations that can be made. But in the end, everyone needs to correlate his own results to his own shaving results. This only require that you perform the HHT and connect it with a mental note to the shaving performance of the razor. The more you've done this, the more you will be able to predict how well the razor will shave.

With all that said:
Straight off the Coticule, I never get HHT-4 or 5. I get to pop thicker hairs at 2" or more from the holding point. And thinner hairs at 1" from the holding point. Stropping brings me to HHT 4 or 5.
It also depends a bit on the Coticule, let's say within a margin of less that one full point. Dave's "La Grosse Blanche" for instance, will only pop thick hairs at 1" of the holding point, coming straight off the hone. But the shaving performance is completely on par with other Coticules, and the skin-friendliness is unrivaled. I think the ultra smooth edge does not catch the hanging hair as well as other edges with slightly more bite.
The bottom line is:
[note] Get to know thy hair, thy stone and thy razors. ;) [/note]

Best regards,

Bart.

James posted his coticule to me i honed my da and his da.

It took me some ajusting. Number one the shape of the bout, the feed back was differant, and the HHt reacted differantly to my coticule. In the way bart describes my hone produces just that, HHT that grabs more. James hone did'nt grab the hair so well, but i have to say the shave was just as good and i would say felt smoother, . It's what you get use to.

My hone fits me like a glove now. I have two one thin one and my larger bout which is perfect. I will never replace them.

James hone cuts very quik and i was impressed with it. With water it was like honing on glass.

The razor he honed was very smooth and sharp.

garyhaywood said:

It took me some ajusting. Number one the shape of the bout, the feed back was differant, and the HHt reacted differantly to my coticule. In the way bart describes my hone produces just that, HHT that grabs more. James hone did'nt grab the hair so well, but i have to say the shave was just as good and i would say felt smoother, . It's what you get use to.

My hone fits me like a glove now. I have two one thin one and my larger bout which is perfect. I will never replace them.

James hone cuts very quik and i was impressed with it. With water it was like honing on glass.

Hi Gary,

Are you talking about James "Towliff" Towle? Just curious.

:thumbup: for checking his hone and razors for him.

Bart.

Through my OCD, I'd been forcing myself to work through until I got HHT-4 (lots of laps and likely quite unnecessary) on my Coticule until recently. I stopped at HHT-2 off the Coticule and stropped my way to HHT-5. Shaved great. Then I took another razor and shaved with it which was just as nice, but I did the HHT for fun and it was at 4... I'm sure my face isn't able to tell the difference now. But, it's pretty sweet seeing that hair silently felled ;)

I've found i got a bit ocd with HHT. I was spending more time trying to improve it than actualy the honing process itss self.Two years ago i never pass hht of coticule. Now after stropping i can , every time . Depending on the razor, it can vary from 3/4/5.never realy less than a four. At least i no it's possible. If the shave is not quite up to par , i can add the unicot or some kind of paste. I have the options.Somtimes i think to many options. So lng as your hitting 2/3 of the hone with say a grey hair, which will be thicker at least after stropping you will see improve mant. it does'nt matter how you get shave ready, so long as you get there.

I never have a problem with sharpness, its the smoothness i'm looking for nower days. You carn't beat a smooth razor!, the feeling of smooth on your face is amazing.

Bart said:
garyhaywood said:

Hi Gary,

Are you talking about James "Towliff" Towle? Just curious.

:thumbup: for checking his hone and razors for him.

Bart.

Yep twas me indeed. I was very shocked and happy when gary called me and let me know that the edge i had achieved was actually pretty good! I sent the hone and razor off to gary and actually advised him not to go ATG as i thought it wasnt as good as it could be, but gary thought otherwise. Maybe thats because when i had a very quick test shave i litterally went into the bathroom, wet my face and had a quick stroke or two.

I will keep striving for the very best with my stone, which i come to adore more everytime i use it! And well, untill i can get the very best out of my stone, I shall use a paddle strop I finished making today with oak and balsa. Have applied some crox and I'll also put some TI paste on the other side when it arrives B)

Back