ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Highland Park 18?

mitchshrader

I dabble in collecting spirits, with whatever funds remain after servicing my stone addiction.. and havn't yet tried Highland Park. I've always been fonder of sherry casked scotch than any other, especially the heavily peated Islay expressions.

Macallan 18 is my favorite 'every day' scotch, and I am always hunting sherry-casked or sherry finished bottles that will fairly compete with it..Abelour 16, Balvenie 17 Sherry Casked, Glen Rothes 91..I'm hoping to find others that can be found in/shipped to Oklahoma. The liquor laws prevent many special bottlings from being obtainable here, and often I'm forced to rely on the kindness of friends to source them.

I'll state without fear of contradiction some spirits are more 'artisan' quality than commercial; made to standards that are not optimally profitable but allow no compromises on quality. 'Handmade' versus 'Store bought' in short. Macallan had such a reputation until commercial success diluted it..

And therein lies the gift I'll donate to the board. I'm greedy, lazy, and self indulgent, therefore RARELY do I share 'pointers' to the extreme quality spirits that define my interest. In this case, any one who mentions HP 18 as their fireside tipple can likely appreciate my opinion, and might even concur.

Daniel Bouju Brut De Fut Royale, and Brut De Fut Tres Vieux, are two cask strength cognacs, 15 years old and 120 proof, and 40 years old/100 proof.

They're too good to share with wives and girlfriends. They cost less than they're worth. I've sourced bottles at <80$ and <200$ for the two ages, this year. Whatever you can afford to buy, get. I will.

The last bottle of Mac 18 I have remains unopened. The JW Blue sits sullenly in its suitcase, ignored. The Balvenie gathers dust, the Aberlour and Glen Rothes are tossed casually into a mixed case I use for a footstool..

If you don't buy either of those two cognacs, good. More for me. Of course, you'll be missing out on a taste that takes two generations to make. And I'll lose all respect for your selfish streak, as it's not serving you well.

Hi Mitch,
Shocked to meet a whisky lover in these pages ;) But how can I not reply! It's a good beginning, a Highland Park 18yr. It doesn't match with a clean and safe shave, does it? Probably the honing of the blade goes much smoother after a dram, but imagine the risk of indulging without the necessary focus :blush:
I am no collector, but enjoy them as they come. Favorite was! the Caol Ila 18yrs, and for a daily dram there's the salty Old Pulteney. I'm happy Diageo didn't get it's hands on that one! And you are completely right about Macallan, once famous, but I never found out why. Last Saturday however, our taste buds brought us unexpected sensations. Some friends and I got ourselves a treat inviting one of the most knowledgeable guys we met during a Whisky festival in Leiden, the Netherlands. He (Michiel is his name) is a collector purchasing a lot of stuff from Italy, some of it he buys in Spain. That evening was an eye-opener to us, as it was our opinion that the real thing was to be found in the distilleries (and for 5yrs we've explored many warehouses all over Scotland in search of the ultimate dram :D ). In Leiden we already had a taste of what to expect if we could get the guy accepting our invitation. We had no more interest in the commercial presentations of no matter what distillery, instead we were charting new territory here. We gave him a free hand, it was his choice of whisky's we would nose and taste. This is the list:
Longmorn 39yr 1970 bottled for alambique 51.7%
Tomatin 43yr 1965 bottled for whiskfair 48.1%
Thamdhu 1961 for Gordon Mcphails 40%
Springbank 12yr pear shaped distillery 43%
Strathisla 25yr for Gordon Mcphails 40% (1960's)
Glenfarclas 20yr 1969 signatory 58.2%
Glenfarclas 41yr 1965 whiskyfair 53.5% (dark sherry)
Highland Park 20yr 1959 43%
Mortlach 22yr 1957 45.7% dumpy cadenhead
Bruichladdich 1966-1983 veronelli dark sherry 53.5%
Longrow dreams Samaroli 1987 46%
What can I say... . It's something you'll taste once in a lifetime if you are lucky. Of course a good bottle you only open with ancient, trusty, drouthy cronies ;) , and all fair lassies should keep their distance. Imagine you do not want your lady around when honing a razor blade with a coticule, it is too private, too personal. As for the whisky's, remember the Longrow dreams from the Italian importer Samaroli and the Highland Park. These are fabulous, and if you ever find a bottle, remember to invite your best friends for them!
... I still wonder why I talk about drams in this coticule forum. But it is true, there is more going on than the stone which shows on the outside. Slainte!

A most persuasive list. I hope the drams were moderate enough to allow functional taste buds throughout the tasting.

If, however, you find yourself yearning for quality superior to the usual .. do, PLEASE, try a dram of that Daniel Bouju Brut de Fut Royale, or if budget permits, the Brut de Fut Tres Vieux.

If you'll come to my house I'll spot you the first one.

Somehow, I lost enthusiasm for single malts when I encountered better liquour. The 40 year old is as far as I've gotten, but I'm hoping to own a bottle of the 80 year old before I expire. I'd not trade that hope for a cask of mac 25. You've a great joy to look forward to, and I envy you.

I`m by no means a collector or have much knowledge about single malts,but my all time favorite is Laphroaig 10 year old. It`s very spicy with a salty and smoked (?) taste. I find the cask stregth much too heavy and strong. And its affordable too :thumbup:

Regards

If, however, you find yourself yearning for quality superior to the usual .. do, PLEASE, try a dram of that Daniel Bouju Brut de Fut Royale, or if budget permits, the Brut de Fut Tres Vieux.

Mmmm... I'll keep that in mind, though I'm not sure I'll ever have a chance to have my taste buds this kind of treat. As for the list I showed, unfortunately the drams were quite moderate, and we got only one dram of each. Enough to feel pangs of new worlds to be explored... :p

Also the Laphroaig is of course nice, though I'm not favoring the 10yrs, it's too much, certainly when it is the first of an evening ;) Later on, after having enjoyed some pretasting, the Laphroaig is a nice conclusion. Guess my mates prefer the 15yrs, but that seems no longer to be available.

Enjoy, don't forget to shave B)

Back