ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Historical Micrographs

wdwrx

Thanks to BeBerlin, I've been spending a bit of time on Coupe Chou Club , a French shaving forum.
Found this interesting little read.

Enjoy!

BTW, Google translate seems to do a slightly better job than Babelfish, in spite of the annoying pop-up bubbles. (for those of us who need it ;-) )

-Chris

wdwrx said:
Thanks to BeBerlin, I've been spending a bit of time on Coupe Chou Club , a French shaving forum.
Found this interesting little read.

Enjoy!

BTW, Google translate seems to do a slightly better job than Babelfish, in spite of the annoying pop-up bubbles. (for those of us who need it ;-) )

-Chris

The CC is a delightful site, but my French is too weak for me to spend much time there.

Chris, that link take me to the main forum page of Chou-chou Club, and not to a particular thread.

?

Kind regards,
Bart

Sorry guys, try this (untranslated) url: http://coupechouclub.cultureforum.net/origine-du-coupe-chou-et-historique-f21/razor-blades-and-shaving-10-1931-t2095.htm

I'd checked it shortly after posting it, and it worked then, shortly afterwards, it didn't....:confused:

Edit: The article I was trying to point you all to is in English any ways...

Bart, BTW, it looks like they all need a little help with their Coti technique! You should get on that! ;)

Wonderful wonderful reading say what!
I will have to try the Williams Shaving cream and Aqua Velva :)
And the Williams shaving fluid looks a hoot "just shake a few drops on your brush, and there you are, great,too for a shampoo"!

Delightful Regards
Dr Ralfson Esquire

tat2Ralfy said:
And the Williams shaving fluid looks a hoot "just shake a few drops on your brush, and there you are, great,too for a shampoo"!

Delightful Regards
Dr Ralfson Esquire

I don't know anything about the Williams Shaving Cream, but if you would like some Aqua Velva, you know how to reach me... I think I can send it to you...:-/

richmondesi said:
tat2Ralfy said:

Delightful Regards
Dr Ralfson Esquire

I don't know anything about the Williams Shaving Cream, but if you would like some Aqua Velva, you know how to reach me... I think I can send it to you...:-/

Err Dude, the advert was written in 1931, I have aqua velva but I think it may have changed a little in 80yrs :rolleyes:

tat2Ralfy said:
richmondesi said:
tat2Ralfy said:

Delightful Regards
Dr Ralfson Esquire

Err Dude, the advert was written in 1931, I have aqua velva but I think it may have changed a little in 80yrs :rolleyes:

Sorry, smarty pants... Just trying to be friendly. I'll not make that mistake again :rolleyes:

Great reading, I never imagined that the edge is affected that much by the corrosion! :scared:

...and I just love the ad at the very end... :thumbup:

cheers,
Matt

Smythe said:
Yup, that's a very interesting article in Popular Science Magazine October 1931.
Microscopic photos comparing the edge of a razor after the shave, and then after stropping.

It is part of the Google Books archive found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=CigDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA54&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Smythe, my friend, you are good!

I'd tried searching Google Books before, but with little success. It appears you've already broken trail! You're miles ahead of me!

Here's some poetry for you all. Razor poetry (would there be any other kind?)

wdwrx said:
Smythe said:
Yup, that's a very interesting article in Popular Science Magazine October 1931.
Microscopic photos comparing the edge of a razor after the shave, and then after stropping.

It is part of the Google Books archive found here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=CigDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA54&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Smythe, my friend, you are good!

I'd tried searching Google Books before, but with little success. It appears you've already broken trail! You're miles ahead of me!

Here's some poetry for you all. Razor poetry (would there be any other kind?)

:lol: lol that's a good one... reminds me of some folks who sell "new" razors today (Zeepk), and a few who sell vintage too... Indeed the razor was meant to sell... nothing more.

There is quite a good bit of information in Google Books... but it's extremely be tedious to find what you are looking for... often getting many adds in the results... but as someone like me interested in trivia, I find some of them interesting.
For example: We all know you can make a razor from a good file, check out this advertisement for Nicholson Files.
http://books.google.com/books?id=KNsDAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA171

ive tried williams and it is hands down the worst soap I have ever used. Smells like lysol, lathers horrible, works great for washing hands tho.

Back