ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Home brewing anyone?

I never said I did. At least I don't remember. We have this tiny little house in Πήλιο, right next to the Πλατεία. I vaguely recall them serving the stuff along with their μεζέδες (quite delicious, by the way) even to unsuspecting 14 year olds. Any road, anise of fennel, it's all the same the further East you venture. But technically speaking, yes, it's anise.

Bart said:
:rolleyes: You don't have to swallow it in German proportions, Robin...:D

I always thought anise was one of the major ingredients. Am I wrong with that, Emmanuel?

Kind regards,
Bart.

Absolutely correct Bart
Best regards
Emmanuel

Yes pastis has the same taste.The basic different is Ouzo includes Mastic of Chios island.It is a resin giving a delicious aromatic who can chew it like chewing gum.It is known around the world as far back as coticule.The paradox is that mentioned mastic collected wounding the common mastic tree which in other parts of the world nor coagulate nor has flavor.
For more informations:
http://www.chios.gr/products/mastic.htm
Best regards
Emmanuel

Robin said:
I never said I did. At least I don't remember. We have this tiny little house in Πήλιο, right next to the Πλατεία. I vaguely recall them serving the stuff along with their μεζέδες (quite delicious, by the way) even to unsuspecting 14 year olds. Any road, anise of fennel, it's all the same the further East you venture. But technically speaking, yes, it's anise.

Robin you have to come again in Pelion to refresh some memories.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I put together a second batch of mead, yesterday. This one is a cyser, (hard cider, essentially.)

The first batch, initially posted is due for racking and aging in about a week. The yeast's flocculation and co2 output is nearly complete. I'll post a picture of that if anyone is interested?

Thanks,

Mac

applecyser-1.jpg

Bart said:
Looks great! :thumbup:

Bart.

Thanks Bart! :)

tat2Ralfy said:
Do you have my address? :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

If i had your address, Ralfy, do you think you'd have a coticule left in your home? Hehe!

Pebcak said:
I'll be by in about 5 years to test the cyser out for you.:) I'll even bring an empty keg to help out.

Mmm...a nice aged oak barrel, that had brandy in it, would be nice. :)

Well, the Cyser batch was coming along nicely, releasing CO2, in copious amounts, at the expected time...however, on second day i went to do some stirring/oxegenating, as required the first three days, (apparently the fermenation is aerobic initially, then switches to anarobic,) and i was met by an explosion. :-(
I hope the batch is still good...i will know this evening, when or if the fermentation begins anew.

Thanks all,

Mac

Update: When i got home, there was little to no fermentation activity, in the must...so, i re-pitched, some yeast. There was quite a bit more co2 release this morning, so things might be okay with this batch.

Anyone have experience with needing to re-pitch yeast into a batch? Are their problems i can expect, with the end product?
I'm new at this, with no ego so all advice will help. :)

Thanks,

Mac

Pebcak said:
It's ruined and could kill you if you drink it. You should send it to me for safe disposal. :)

Ah ha!! The cyser batch finished fermenting, yesterday...tested and tasted it today. Oh my...its quite good and calculates out to about 11.2% ABV; not as high as i wanted, but considering the earlier explosion, im not complaining. Hehe.

Sigh...if only sending alcoholic beverages, overseas, was easy you'd get some Pebcak. :)

Thanks guys,

Mac

I have just started into seltzer making. In my studying and travels I found out about the 5 gallon Cornelius Keg (Corky). My seltzer batches are not that big. The kegs are not used as much in the soda industry anymore but are popular in home brewing. The Corkys have been offered to me for as little as $20 in the Los Angeles area. The kegs are rated 130 PSI working pressure and have a relief valve. There is a lot of info on the web about the Corky and it would solve your exploding problem.

mysteryrazor said:
I have just started into seltzer making. In my studying and travels I found out about the 5 gallon Cornelius Keg (Corky). My seltzer batches are not that big. The kegs are not used as much in the soda industry anymore but are popular in home brewing. The Corkys have been offered to me for as little as $20 in the Los Angeles area. The kegs are rated 130 PSI working pressure and have a relief valve. There is a lot of info on the web about the Corky and it would solve your exploding problem.

Thanks for the information, Jay...i can use as much as is offered.

Both of these batches have been filtered and are ready for bottling...who wants to help? :-D

Mac

Scotchhound1969 said:

Both of these batches have been filtered and are ready for bottling...who wants to help? :-D

Mac
If you send some to me I'll see if it's all right and i'll help empty it:lol:

kind regards
Stijn

geruchtemoaker said:
Scotchhound1969 said:

Mac
If you send some to me I'll see if it's all right and i'll help empty it:lol:

kind regards
Stijn

Haha! No worky, no drinky. :p

When i was filtering and racking the Cyser(hard apple cider,) i did set a couple liters aside, for nipping throughout the week. It is supprisingly good, given how young the batch is. I'm very hopeful!

Mac

Back