ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

honing not reaching the very edge?

justalex

Hey there, When I've been honing a razor and I've noticed that the very edge is still reflecting light when the rest of the bevel further up has been polished to a mirror finish. Would this mean the bevel wasn't fully formed?

regards Alex

Correct, to know for sure if the bevel is set that part of the edge should shave arm hair easily.
marker pen along the whole edge will indicate when full cotact is being made on that side of the bevel when it is removed by you honing strokes. It dosn't indicate the the bevel flanks meet necessarilly (set).
That's why it's always better to dull the edge before starting honing, in order to know when you have set the bevel, it should cut arm hair.

Good luck
Joe

Thanks Joe, its strange, I've been honing for about 8-9 months and have never came across this before, it was only on the last two razors I honed on me coti. I think I must've just been in a hurry... which is never good in str8 shaving :scared:

thanks Joe, cheers Alex

Your welcome Alex,
Try the marker pen tip, Gary put me onto this it's a good aid.
I used to struggle setting heels and toes which can be a pain at the best of times.
If you encoutnter this with your razors I might want to practice the rolling x stroke, again the marker will indicate where you are making contact. When rolling remember to always keep that part of the spine in contact with the hone as well as the edge.

Joe

My rolling x stroke is pretty good, its not quick but it gets the job done. I looked through previous emails Gary sent me and he also advised me of the magic marker trick, but it was a long email and i think I was obsessed with fixing my stroke technique, so it got lost in all the other great advice Gary gave me, there was so much, I couldn't take it all in :blink:

I'll try it with this razor and hopefully that'll fix it.

cheers guys, Alex

If you use a black magic maker on your edge you will see which parts of your blade are hitting the hone and which are not. Then you can adjust your stroke, rolling, half moon strokes, etc.

Back