ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

How does it shave...?

Matt

Continued from here...
Bart said:
How does it shave?
Okay, so I gave this shaver some 30-40 more strokes on very light slurry as I was suspecting it's quite hard steel, and after finishing on water and stropping it was reaching HHT 4 - mind you, on my really thick hair. I'll have to steal some specimens from my girlfriend to compare...

It definitely didn't shock me, what I was counting on. I even applied pre-shave oil, a routine I've been trying to eliminate for some time to narrow down the variables in the shaves as much as possible. However, as it was only 2[sup]nd[/sup] day after the previous shave, I wanted extra smoothness so I used it this time and I was really expecting jaw dropping results.

Not that much, unfortunately. Actually with all the razors I use I have to go really slowly, and even WTG pass always feels really scratchy. It's not the pull, it's just I feel every hair that is being cut, so if I go faster I guess it will just skip on some or/and irritate my skin, too. I'm kind of a little frustrated, because I feel that in the past 6 months the quality of my shaves didn't improve that much. On one hand, what I was getting using disposables is not worth comparing at all, not only it wasn't any easier but I could get, say, 3 shaves in 2 weeks, this is how much my skin suffered. But I was actually expecting sweet effortless glide (I still am) through my stubble and unfortunately it can't be called this way. ATG's I'm getting are on the very edge of irritation, the razor happens to stop at some places refusing to cut through, so I have to go back and move it at some different angle, or slide it diagonally, etc. I always shave in the evenings, both because it takes me ridiculous 40 to 60 minutes to do the job from start to end, and because my skin has time throughout the night to rest. Yet, unless I try to get an ultra-ultra-close shave it feels perfectly well next morning, which is an improvement.

I'm trying to spot the weak parts of my routine. I purchased Taylor's cream from Gary to compare with Omega soap I also have, tried oil vs. no oil, uberlather - nothing flabbergasting. I repeat, it surpasses shaving with a disposable completely, but it's not the grandest shave yet. So I am thinking of getting a nice real strop from Gary as well as some dedicated pre-shave oil instead of generic baby-oil. Other elements are preparation and the blades, of course. Maybe I should switch to more wedge-like razors? It wouldn't be too cool as most of mine are full hollows. I hope there will be something which will allow me improve further, I cannot imagine shaving with something else anymore! I've always loved blades so this way of shaving has a real appeal to me.

Should you have any remarks, I'll gladly hear them.

kind regards,
Matt

I think it's time you honed a razor and send it in for evaluation.
It's perfectly possible that your honing is ok, but your beard/skin combination (though beard on highly sensitive skin) has very specific demands. I have a friend in the US with that exact problem. His face only accept certain razors with the mellowest possible edge.
If you send me a razor for evaluation, I can offer feedback on your honing, resharpen it myself (when necessary) and lend you a couple more that I think could fit your bill.

Best regards,
Bart.

Yup, you need another well honed razor to compare... believe me when i tell you, it will be an eye opener B) .

Bart said:
I think it's time you honed a razor and send it in for evaluation.
It's perfectly possible that your honing is ok, but your beard/skin combination (though beard on highly sensitive skin) has very specific demands.
I was suspecting both of these may be true. I will need your address Bart, though this is a really busy weekend for me, so I will probably send the package next week.

Gentlemen, it really feels special in here, you're so helpful. Once more, thank you. I wish that everyday life looked like this.

...if it were not for that bastard Ralfy. :lol::lol:

kind regards,
Matt

I just went to the members list and send you an e-mail with my address, Matt.

Best regards,
Bart.

Back